the Sherlockian

Even though I should be studying for my finals, I have succumbed to a book just SCREAMING to be :readingtwo:! The Sherlocian by Graham Moore is just the delectable dreary, cold Sunday afternoon mystery read. I love how Moore goes back to 1900 England and then travels to the present.

I'm not a great review writer so I'll keep it brief. Arthur Conan Doyle hates his creation Sherlock Holmes and as we know kills him off at one point, then 10 years later, he is brought back (found by Watson). The mystery is that we never knew WHY he chose to bring him back. The secret is supposedly found in Doyle's last diary that turns up missing.

A large international Sherlockian group has searched for decades but no clue until a prominent member says he found the diary, he turns up dead and its up to Harold (the protagonist) to find the murderer. He travels between New York and England to search for clues.

Murder is afoot....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am actually reading this now thanks to Katrina (thank you Katrina) and so far it is quite good. There are two stories unfolding; one, in which Conan Doyle is the protagonist (with Bram Stoker as his Watson- I did not realize they were contemporaries); and the second, taking place is 2010 in which a member of the Sherlokian Society is scouring for clues to a murder (with a female reporter as his Watson). Both plot lines hold your interest. It is well written and the style is fluid.

It has also peaked my curiosity to actually read the Sherlock Holmes stories as I have never had the pleasure. So I foresee 2011 being a little Sherlockian :D