Michael Crichton

TammyRich

I am a great fan of Michael Crichton having read almost all of his books. Many of his books have been made into films including Jurassic Park, Lost World, Timeline, Rising Sun, Congo and Outbreak amongst others. He researches his subjects well and usually builds a great story around some scientific subject of potentially controversial or unlikely premise.

However I was not impressed with State of Fear one of his most recent books. Has anyone else read it and what did they think of it?

The only one I've ever read was Jurassic Park, but I've read it several times now, as I enjoyed it so much. I loved all the scientific bits - the descriptions were never too complicated to understand, but Crichton never "dumbed down" either, & they added to the story. All the Chaos Theory sections were great too - describing how, no matter what happens, nature will always find a way to thrive against all odds.

I did have Timelineon my TBR pile, but when my list got ridiculously long (there were more than 100 books at one point) I decided to trim down as there were several books on the list I'd changed my mind about reading by that time & that was one of the ones I just didn't fancy any more. I may well come back to it at a later date, though, as I have heard good things about it & I did enjoy Jurassic Park a lot (enough to read it several times).

• 4 months later...

I finished Next last night. Ho hum. :D It was a bit of a strange book - just a hodge podge of characters all somehow connected with genetic manipulation. I don't quite know if I liked it - it seemed to be a bit too far fetched, though a lot of parts of it were true. I was enjoying it, until the last quarter - then it just seemed to be a bit silly. I think Crichton was pushing his agenda too hard. It would have been better if he'd written a non-fiction book about his opinions on genetic manipulation, rather than trying to wrap a story around it.

• 1 month later...
I finished Next last night. Ho hum. :) It was a bit of a strange book - just a hodge podge of characters all somehow connected with genetic manipulation. I don't quite know if I liked it - it seemed to be a bit too far fetched, though a lot of parts of it were true. I was enjoying it, until the last quarter - then it just seemed to be a bit silly. I think Crichton was pushing his agenda too hard. It would have been better if he'd written a non-fiction book about his opinions on genetic manipulation, rather than trying to wrap a story around it.

Yeah, sometimes I think he's writing for a movie to be made - it's happened with so many of his novels. I wonder if it's changed his writing style?

I want to get around to reading more, but not sure which... I've read Jurassic Park/The Lost World and Prey. His other books though, don't seem to interest me. I think I should just get stuck into one.

My favourite has to be Jurassic Park it's better then the other two of his that I've read. It's so different to the movie, but I think they're both good in their own right even if a lot was changed.

Yeah, sometimes I think he's writing for a movie to be made - it's happened with so many of his novels. I wonder if it's changed his writing style?

I definitely prefer his earlier books (Jurassic Park in particular). His latest two books (Next and State of Fear), seem to be pushing an agenda a bit too hard, as though that's his main inspiration for writing a book. Like I said earlier, I think he'd be better off sticking that in a non-fiction book; I'm sure there would be people interested in his view. But, I don't like to feel like I'm being preached at when I read a novel - I just want entertainment, and it's a bit off-putting when an author is so obvious about it. :) Having said that, I think I'll still continue reading his books, but I'll just borrow them instead of buying them.