The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

It is assumed that you have read the book before reading posts in this thread, as the discussion might give away crucial points, and the continuous use of spoiler tags might hinder fluent reading of posts.

Synopsis from Amazon

In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe--probably the best-loved of the Narnia Chronicles--four children are sent to live in a rambling, old house, and in an empty, forgotten room they find an old wardrobe which leads them into the magical land of Narnia, a place doomed to perpetual Darkness unless the children unite with Aslan the lion against the evil White Witch to restore joy and light to the land.

Some basic questions to consider:

1. Who was your favourite character and why?

2. Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

4. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

5. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

I actually like Edmund best! He's snarky, conniving and selfish, but I think that makes him the most "real" of the children, the rest of whom are all far too good to be true - LOL! He also undergoes the greatest change throughout the story, overcoming his weaknesses to become a stronger and nobler person.

My least favourite is Lucy, which may surprise some people. I just never liked her and thought her too holier-than-thou a lot of the time. She's too much of a goody-too-shoes, so even though she's the one who gets the adventure going, I have to admit that if I'd ever met her, I'd have wanted to give her a clip around the ear for being so simpering - LOL!

I never liked the bit with Aslan playing with Lucy and Susan directly after his resurrection - yes, I know he's full of the joys of life, but it irks me!. It just seemed so out of place and out of character to have Aslan, a wise, noble, distinguished and imposing (yet kindly) character essentially turning into a big pussy cat - it felt rather demeaning.

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

I've read the whole series and actually originally read them all in chronological order as a child. I love them all with the exception of A Horse and His Boy, which seems oddly out of place, as it is the only one that doesn't feature visitors from our world and is therefore a rather pointless inclusion. The story is much weaker too and I never like it. I always skip that one when I'm re-reading the series. I've never read any of Lewis' other works though - I really should look them out and give them a try though. I never thought about it till now!

I actually struggle a little with the idea that it includes Christian mythology, as a lot of it seems overtly Pagan to me. I know the author meant it to have Christian overtones, but I still read it as very Pagan-like,. There's the whole battle between winter and summer for a start (where it's always winter but never Christmas). The winter (White Witch) is then banished by the return of summer (Aslan) - very Pagan indeed - Pagans celebrate the rebirth of the Sun at Yule - no Christmas for us! The Summer King also sacrifices himself to ensure a successful harvest and is reborn (Aslan's sacrifice and resurrection?). There are also all the nyads and dryads and nymphs and fauns running around the place - more Pagan references as they are all representative of the elements and nature, as well as talking animals (totems?). I could go on and on, really...

I didn't re-read it this time, but I've read it so many times and it's an old favourite of mine, and I always love it.It's not my favourite in the series, though - it's my 3rd favourite (after The Silver Chair and The Magician's Nephew respectively). It's one of those stories that apeals to all ages and has something to offer for every level of reader.

My favourite character was actually Mr Tumnus, he just makes me smile!

My least favourite part of the book is right at the end, when the children find themselves suddenly back in "our" world; it just ended too suddenly after that for me.

The Narnia books were my very favourite books as a child; this was the first Narnia book I read, and I then went on to read all the rest. I do own four of C S Lewis' books for adults, but I haven't read them yet - my fifteen year old is reading The Screwtape Letters and is enjoying them.

Like Kell, I struggle with the idea that there is anything particularly Christian about the book. I was an adult when I first heard that notion, and I still remember the disbelief I felt! Fair enough, good triumphs over evil, but it seems to me there are all sorts of mythologies referenced in the tale. I am a Christian and was brought up in a Christian home, but I definitely never noticed any religious theme, and it would have ruined the book for me if I had.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it for the first time in many years. It did surprise me to find just how short and simplistic it was, though, as in my mind it had become much more complex.

Who was your favourite character and why?

It's between Aslan himself, or like Ooshie, Mr. Tumnus.

Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

The Mr & Mrs Beaver scenes I love, as they bring a sense of normality (speaking beavers?!) to the proceedings.

Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

I started with TL,TW&TW, but very quickly went on to read all the others in the Chronicles.

Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

None at all.

Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

I lived and breathed Narnia as a child, and have thoroughly enjoyed every reading since, so that's a big YES!

Christmas shopping ~ that's the problem! :wink:

Can I ask the collective opinion of the deal between Aslan and the White Witch that allows her to claim Edmund in the way that she does? As a child, and my subsequent readings I just took it as a 'just is' type of situation. Now I am significamtly older, and have read it as part of the RC I am pondering this most than before.

WW to Aslan,

"You at least know the magic which the emperor put into Narnia at the very beginning.

You know that every traitor belongs to me as my lawful prey and that for every treachery I have a right to kill."

and more interestingly to me is Mr Beaver's comment,

"Oh, said Mr Beaver. So that's how you came to imagine yourself a queen - because you were the the Emperor's hangman. I see."

Can I ask the collective opinion of the deal between Aslan and the White Witch that allows her to claim Edmund in the way that she does?

Edmund's greed and willingness to blindly believe and follow someone who would offer to place him higher than his borthers and sisters is a betrayal He agrees to bring them to her, therfore he is a traitor in that he's willing to put his own welfare above theirs because of some imagined slight against him. (Remember, he teased Lucy mercilessly over her story f arriving in Narnia, and even once he's been there himself, doens't let on and still pretends that he believes she made it all up).

When they ALL get into Narnia together, it becomes clear very quickly to the others that Edmund has been there before (highlighting his treachery) and even once he's heard that the White Witch isn't such a nice person as he wants to believe, he tries to lead them to her to "get his reward".

Edmund is a traitor who tries to convince himself he believes the Witch, even once his illusions are shattering/shattered, in order to justify his bad behaviour. It is only later that he redeems himself and is "saved" as he helps save the others.

I think that was my reading of it, and of course Edmund's behaviour put him straight into her remit.

It's only this later, and somewhat more analytical reading of the story that I noticed how this episode isn't explained in any depth, but is a 'given' within the story. I would assume that this is because this is meant as a way into Aslan's sacrificing of himself.

I cannot agree that Edmund is a traitor, and I would say that because of his youth. A young person with little pracitcal experience in life is often self centred and does not think of the consequences of his or her actions, non? Edmund was without father at the time to counsel him and he missed papa and was probably resentful of having to be sent away. His causing trouble, his argumentativeness and his general being a water troubler I am thinking came from all the pent up emotions. When he was presented with the turkish delight this was a wonderful break from the rations that he had to endure oui, because of the war and the stringent rations being handed out. Coffee and tea were luxuries and chocolate or any kind of treats were so rare that people I have read nearly went mad for lack of a sweet. I take this into consideration. The white witch had many many thousands maybe or hundreds at least years in which to practise her deceit and she had frightening powers, she could easily lure a boy into betraying his family for a few mouth watering pieces of the turkish delight But you see, Aslan saw goodness in the boy and laid down his life for him as it were oui? He would not have done that for a true traitor. And later , Edmund grows and becomes loyal and brave. Well , that is how I see things oui.If I have revealed what I should not have, forgive me and by all means delete.

Edited by Genevieve

My understanding of Christian belief is that Christ had to be 'betrayed' by Judas and crucified/sacrificed in order that he die and rise again, therefore opening the gates to Heaven. If the betrayal had not taken place, then the greater 'result' could not and would not have therefore been enabled.

I see the parallels here with Edmund as Judas, enabling Aslan to be sacrificed, die and be reborn stronger and more powerful. Edmund's understandable and very human weakness when faced with the White WItch is essential to Aslan's plans. Without it the White Witch would likely not be ultimately defeated.

I recall in the film version of the book, that in the opening scenes Edmund chases into his house from the family bomb shelter in order that he save a framed photograph of their father. He is roundly told off, as this takes place during an air raid, but it does give an insight into his later behaviour, rather than allowing us to believe that he is just being a brat.

• 1 year later...

My favourite charachter was Peter. He is the perfect big brother, always trying to protect everyone.

I love it when Edmund is brought back from the Queen, when he is accepted back by Peter, Susan and Lucy.

It was a very long time ago, but I don't think this was the first book I have read of this genre. I had a particular liking for adventure books as a child :)

hmmmmmm it has been a long time since I have read the book, so nothing springs to mind . . .

Most definitely yes. It is bok of those books (series) that I imagine I will revisit many times.

Also, I am very surprised to read that people could not see the christian references in the book. I remember when I did my first reread as an adult I was shocked by the fact that when reading books 1-7 I felt as though I was reading a childrens version of the bible (I hadnt noticed as a child). Adding to the similarities that Chrissy pointed out there is the fact that Aslan died in place of Edmund (died for his sin) and that the women were the ones to witness the sacrifice and then they were also the ones to witness the resurrection. I have not read the book for a long time so I would have to do a reread to point out any more.

Then again, as christian mytholgy is largely based on older pagan traditions I suppose it could be viewed as being based on either . . .

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...