One year left to live-what would you read?

Pixie

hmm

Realistically or ideally? :D

I never finish my TBR so...

I'll name 10 books.

1. Victor Hugo - Les Misérables (Yes, a reread)

2. J R R Tolkien - The Silmarillion (Reread)

3. Charles Dickens - The Pickwick Papers (At least one Dickens before I die)

4. Fyodor Doestovsky - The Idiot

5. Alexandre Dumas - The Three Musketeers & the rest of the D'Arthagnan Romances (Provided I can find them!)

6. Dante - The Divine Comedy

7. Milton - Paradise Lost

8. Sir Thomas Malory - Le Mort d'Arthur

9. Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (I refuse to die till I read this)

10. Walt Whitman - Leaves of Grass

If I don't have to consider the fact that I would probably love to do more travelling with only one year to live and other stuff, and if I would have one year that I could truly dedicate to reading, I think I would do a lot of re-reading. There are loads of books I've been wanting to re-read for a while now, and I think I'd like to go back to old favorites, old familiar characters and old familiar scenes and places. I'd love to re-read the Harry Potters, The Shadow of the Wind, A Home at the End of the World, A Tale of Two Cities, all Augusten Burroughs novels, ... and also read the books that I have on my TBR pile that I really really want to read. The books that I've been putting off reading because I have this feeling they'll be so good that I want to wait for the right time to read them. That I want to savour the wait and the anticipation of reading the novels. Man, I miss my bookcases.

why read books? I would eat myself fat in chocolate, watch 'how I met your mother' .. :)

Haha, that's a good one! :haha: I'm actually doing that this weekend, only my food of choice will be chips :giggle:

Edited by frankie

• 10 months later...

Probably I'll be frowned upon but... honestly I don't know if what to read would be my main concern. I think I'd rather devote myself to more hedonistic pleasures XD... after that I would visit as many places as possible all over the world (possibly with my family and friends)...

If I decided to read something, I guess that I would choose something about spirituality. Moreover there is a Belgian author, Amélie Nothomb, that I've been always curious about but never read anything by her, and since she says she's really fascinated by death I would probably pick some of her books as well.

I don't think I would stop reading because I enjoy it and it just comes naturally. But I don't think I would have a reading plan that would be a bit depressing when you get to the last few books. I would like to go to Norway and India and a few other places. I would spend as much fun time as possible with my kids. I would paint a few pictures. I would date as many beautiful women as possible. And when the time comes I might just refuse to go quietly :irked:

Well instead of reading I’ll repent from my sins and start doing good things. Do something to help other whole heartedly and when the time comes I can say for quite some time my purpose has been served. :Zzzz:

That sounds like a lot of hard work. God is taking you back early so you have already served your purpose. You don't owe Him anything else.

Edited by vodkafan

I would still read if I was going to die in a year. Dying in a year doesn't mean I magically have the money to do all the sorts of things everyone else is talking about, so travelling the world and all that jazz would probably never happen. Reading books is still easy to do.

You know, I probably wouldn't read many new books in that year. If I did, and loved them, I'd have very little time to appreciate them. I'd rather go back and read all my old favourites one last time.

• 3 weeks later...