What books that you own are you most proud to show off?

emelee

I wouldn't so much pick certain books I'd want on display (other than my 1940's and 1920's respectively copies of The Picture Of Dorian Gray and The Importance Of Being Earnest, as the former is an illustrated hardback and the latter a leatherbound pocket edition) as hide books I didn't want people to see.

I'd be inclined to hide my Twilight books, my Buffy books, and books from my childhood/teen years. Or at least put them at the bottom of piles. :giggle:

Hmmm...maybe the antique books my boyfriend and I have collected over the years, but mostly for their cool, vintage appeal. Otherwise, I'd be happy to show off my Tolkien collection, my manga collection, or my pretty leather-bound editions of Jane Austen, Little Women, Shakespeare, etc. And once I inherit my grandfather's 100 year-old Shakespeare collection, I'll definitely want to show them off. :)

I love my library and all of my books, so I'm proud to show them all off! Everything from Winnie the Pooh to the Baby-Sitter's Club, and fluffy chick lit to nerdy sci-fi. :)

They all give an idea of who I was and who I am now. Hopefully they also show that I'm open-minded and open to new experiences (hmm, too much to expect from looking at a few books?)

If someone is coming into my home, I have no inclination to impress them - they're already friends or family and know what I'm like about reading, however most are impressed by the volume of books, not what they are. There is no rhyme or reason to the organisation of my books at the moment, other than the two shelves of books I'm planning to read in one place, all the rest are completely random, so I have no hope whatsoever of trying to impress with any particular books! I'm not particularly proud of any of my books either - I have no interest in rare or old books, and am happy to admit I love all sorts of books from lightweight fluff to literary gems, and these are all on display to everyone.

I am most proud to show off my classics such as Pride & Prejudice. Also, my "intelligent" books too, such as Crime & Punishment. "Intelligent" as in heavy books that few have read but would like to only to show off.

Also, I don't mind showing off my course books for University, letting people know what heavy boring reading I´ve gone through to get where I am now. ;)

I'm just proud of my book collection in general, I don't really display them in any way. I just want to keep adding to it, so that I can have a little mini library one day. It's a very varied collection, theres a bit of everything there :D

I wouldn't be ashamed of any of my books (just as well, as any visitor has to walk past piles of assorted paperbacks in the hall!), but the room I am most likely to take a visitor into does have my collection of Folio Society and leather bound books in it.

However, the book I am most proud of owning was only added to my library a couple of days ago. My dad left school at 15 with no qualifications, and was awarded his PhD earlier this year at the age of 71 - my quarter leather bound copy of his thesis is definitely top of the list. Go, Dad!

Forgot to mention that I would proudly show off books that are hard to get hold of. I have a book called "Child 312" that is no longer in production that I had to buy via e-bay to get. That is a pride to own. I loved that book when I was a kid. Now I have it again! :)

Also, books not available in Sweden, but have to be ordered online from another country. Also a pride to own.

And my series. I have all Martin Beck books (Swedish crime). 10 books in the series, put together in the right order you can read "Martin Beck" on the backs of the books. I love that.

First edition LOTR, but someone stole one of the books a few years ago, so the set is incomplete.

Ouch.

A lot of my books aren't on show, they are either behind other books on my bookshelves, hidden behind piles of CDs or my sofa, or in cupboards.

The ones I tend to have on display are the books I'm currently reading and my large format books.

I don't think I’m going to impress many with my Deep Space Nine technical manual . . .

My guide generally though is I don't have anything on show that I haven't read, it's not impressive having Dickens on your shelf unless you have actually read it!

I'm not really fussed about impressing people with the book choices. My bookshelves are set out to suit me, mainly with all the series together on shelves. It wouldn't bother me if people knew I had Russell Brand's book, Harry Potter, Twilight etc because I also have books like Dracula, Pride and Prejudice, Tale of Two Cities on there.

I was thinking more about this, and I realised that any books I may be proudest of are likely to be books most people (with the exception of my fellow book addicts on the BCF) are unlikely to have ever heard of. Some of these include hard-to-find, out-of-print books that I'm proud of finally finding.

I've been toting The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath around for weeks, and I think it's rather an impressive book. However, whenever I'm asked what I'm reading and I show the book I always get met with blank stares. I always sigh inwardly. :(

I always pull out my three illustrated novels by Brom as they are so achingly beautiful and I want to share that with everyone! The Plucker, The Devil's Rose, and The Child Thief all feature such stunning artwork and wonderful writing that I want to turn everyone on to Brom!

My guide generally though is I don't have anything on show that I haven't read, it's not impressive having Dickens on your shelf unless you have actually read it!

I've just realised I have an unread Dickens on my shelf. Tit.

:haha:

If I hid all the books I haven't yet read I wouldn't have much of a library left. :( And I wouldn't have anywhere to store them all. I have considered arranging my books so the read are separated from the unread, but I know I'd only get depressed.

So I'll continue to keep all my unread books on display and continue to be embarrassed when people point out books and say 'did you like this?' and 'what about this one?' to which I too often have to reply 'er, I haven't read that one yet...'

• 2 weeks later...

I would like it if the people who came over to my house would be interested in taking a look at all my books, but so far I've had no such luck: no big book fans in my circle of friends. However, I really like the question and came up with a few titles immediately. Kylie has already mentioned the book that was one of the first to come to my mind:

I've been toting The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath around for weeks, and I think it's rather an impressive book. However, whenever I'm asked what I'm reading and I show the book I always get met with blank stares. I always sigh inwardly. :(

No blank stares from me! :friends0:

Others that I'm particulary happy/proud to own:

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

all my Augusten Burroughs books

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

my collection of Jeffery Deavers

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

501 Most Notorious Crimes by Paul Donnelley

all my Jasper Fforde novels

Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath by Ronald Hayman

Doris Day - Her Own Story by A. E. Hotchner

A Lover of Unreason – The Life and Tragic Death of Assia Wevill by Yehuda Koren & Eilat Negev

Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren

Dexter novels

Anastasia novels by Lois Lowry

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch

my Haruki Murakamis

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Letters Home by Sylvia Plath

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

The Importance of Being Eve Langley by Joy L. Thwaite

Adrian Mole Diaries

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe