Cricket

Kylie

Interesting Kylie, as we were discussing how we thought other captains might have dealt with it, and although you'll never know unless they're in that situation, but we thought Ponting would be one of the ones who definitely would have done the same thing, because he always held sportsmanship highly.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly did Bell not realise that the ball was still in play? Aren't they supposed to be keeping their eye on the ball at all times? Or at least waiting for the umpire to call 'over'? I think India was indeed pretty gracious in letting him come back to play. I also think it's a bit rich that Bell admits that it was his own stupidity but thinks he should have been allowed back. What about taking responsibility for your actions?

Kylie, for the first time ever I totally agree with you about something cricket-related :lol::wink:

• 2 weeks later...

It goes to show what dire straits cricket is in when a team like England can make the top 3. :P

And anyway, you may as well be 5th as 3rd. What good is 3rd? Come back and gloat when you're number 1 (I won't hold my breath).

(This just never gets old, does it? :giggle: )

I'm back, Kylie! :harhar:

Just thought I'd pop in to congratulate England on winning the third test against India today to seal their place as the WORLD NUMBER 1 RANKED TEST TEAM!!!! :jump:

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm back, Kylie! :harhar:

Just thought I'd pop in to congratulate England on winning the third test against India today to seal their place as the WORLD NUMBER 1 RANKED TEST TEAM!!!! :jump:

And thoroughly deserved, too!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Oh, so hell finally froze over did it? :P

How long do you reckon they will hold onto it? ;)

Fine, fine. I will (begrudgingly) say congratulations to England. It is nice to see the underdogs come good occasionally (just occacsionally, mind you).

Yep, I don't think Strauss and Flower will let it slip without a fight. I've been following test cricket for the best part of 40 years and this is easily the best England team I've seen. Six series wins on the trot, including two Ashes series, and 20 wins for Strauss as captain, in two and a half years. I'm almost as disbelieving as Kylie is :lol:

I'm off to do some ice skating :giggle2:

Damn, I thought I'd get home in time to see the end of the match, but it was all over very quickly once the wickets started tumbling :lol:

I suppose those are England's wickets you're referring too? ;)

• 2 months later...

That's always sad to hear. On his day he was an excellent cricket writer, but he was also a very complex and troubled man who didn't take easily to the art of compromise.

Ironically, he contributed the foreword to David Frith's book Silence of the Heart, a study of cricketers' suicides. I expect it's long out of print now, but it's well worth a read if you come across a copy.

• 2 months later...

Haha, what'd they do now?

Australia wrapped up a 4-test series against India today. India may as well have not turned up; we smashed 'em in every single game, to put it mildly. The last test was the only one that went to 5 days, but only because Australia didn't enforce the follow-on after scoring 600+ in the first innings and India scored 270+. One test was wrapped up in 2 1/2 days. A triple century to Clarke in one test, double centuries to Clarke and Ponting in the same innings, multiple 5-wicket hauls to Siddle...everything the Aussies touched turned to gold, just like the good old days. :) Bring on the Ashes!

Edited by Kylie

• 2 months later...

Just watching the final session of the final day in the West Indies v Australia first test in Barbados. Thought the Australians had it all sewn up about an hour ago, but now looking a bit tighter. Should still make it, but shadows are getting longer, and only an hour left ...

Sky seems to show pretty much all the test matches, yeah.

Yes, we have a subscription to all the sports channels, and Sky have four channels to fill, so we usually get most of the tests from the big nations, such as England, Australia, West Indies, India, South Africa etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, thank goodness I won't be the only Aussie cricket fan! It gets a little daunting, especially when Australia is not doing well (which isn't often, thankfully ;)). It'll be nice to have some support though. :) Luckily all the banter is in good fun. Sometimes on the internet or in the media it seems to get a little unfriendly, which I hate, but you won't find that happening here.

The relative anonymity of the internet does seem to breed its fair share of cretins with keyboards unfortunately. :roll:

I'm all for a little ribbing and rivalry, however, the catch phrase is 'good natured'.

I do look forward to sharing some fellow Aussie cricket fan camaraderie the coming summer season. :D

Yay, someone else I can tease about the Aussie Cricket Team :lol:

(Don't worry, we all know it won't last long, so I have to make the most of it while I can ;))

Plus, it can only be good natured ribbing from me as I think Australia produced the greatest cricketer ever, well, at least in my lifetime anyway, and I could never be mean to anyone on BCF :)

Yay, someone else I can tease about the Aussie Cricket Team :lol:

(Don't worry, we all know it won't last long, so I have to make the most of it while I can ;))

Plus, it can only be good natured ribbing from me as I think Australia produced the greatest cricketer ever, well, at least in my lifetime anyway, and I could never be mean to anyone on BCF :)

Although I am a die-hard Aussie fan, I do have my favourites amongst all the other teams (including England :P ), and will happily cheer them on...except if their team is playing Oz! ;)