Cricket

Kylie

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Has the first one-day game been rained out? :( I tuned in to the correct channel a bit late and there appears to be a 'filler' show on.

.. can't believe this happened, that was supposed to be my first ever time watching cricket live (I was at Headingley ready and waiting..) :(

Anyway, enough complaints - The Ashes tonight! Sadly won't get to catch much of it (in early tomorrow) tonight but looking forward to the series as a whole.

Just dropping in to say that I think the English supporters in this test are absolutely appalling. I have never heard such unsportsmanlike behaviour from a crowd before. So Warner decked one of your cricketers...he has been punished for it and it is time to move on. Is he to be booed by the English crowds at every single test for the rest of his career? My blood boils every time I hear them booing.

It is dreadful when that happens, isn't it?

^ :giggle:

This winter's Ashes will be the death of me I'm sure of it. Despite my oh I can't watch I'm in early comments I was completely enraptured from the first ball last night. Brilliant performance from England's bowlers after losing a toss that they probably would have liked to win, and Broady definitely used the boos to his advantage in order to get fired up! So, barely any sleep, university finished for the day, all ready to go again tonight.

Wouldn't have it any other way...

This is great fun, enjoyed it immensely. England chasing 295 on 82-2. Carberry looking good on 40 and Pieterson edging his way in on 18. Disappointing innings from Cook and Trott (sounds familiar) but if we can settle in some kind of rhythm we should be able to post a good first innings score here. The imperative word being should of course, because we never know..

Edit: Hour later.. I may have jinxed that. Absolute collapse. 87-6. Quality bowling from Lyon and Johnson.

Edit (2): 89-7. Five wickets for seven runs. I'm sorry guys. :(

Edited by Ben

:lol: 94-8 at tea, my word that was worth staying up for..

:haha: I've given up anyway, going to get some sleep. A bit of great bowling, and a lot of a wondrous England collapse.. goodnight. :P

Had to laugh - on Colin Murray's show on TalkSport, in response to the newspaper in Brisbane banning mention of Stuart Broad, he's taking nominations for an Aussie to be banned from his radio show.  The leading contender at the moment is Madge Bishop :lol:

This is pretty much standard stuff for England in the first innings of a test series - especially one overseas.  Bowl well, bat badly.  I expect things will improve as the series goes on.

Bloomin' hope so!

I will never hear the last of this from my Aussie friends.

These battling collapses feel like the England teams of my childhood :negative:

Fair play to the Aussie team, they detected weakness and ruthlessly went after it and that's the way test cricket should be. Hopefully England can sort out the batting but if not it could be a long series. I read this morning that Trott has gone home with a stress related illness, I wish him all the best. His form has been a bit shaky for a while but I can't help but wonder if the England management knew he was ill and if so why did they take him. I also read that Clarke has been fined for his sledging, I hope the media doesn't latch on it and try to make an issue of it. It was a little over the top but frankly it's not a big deal.

Fingers crossed the next game is a bit more of a competition.

If it makes you feel any better, Australia has had many a batting collapse in the past, and likely will in the future. It's funny (well, not really) how often lower-order batsmen have to step up to save the team.

Yes, well played the Aussies :smile:   The England batting collapses have made me feel all nostalgic :giggle2:

This business over the sledging is just silly.  It's all getting a bit precious :rolleyes:  One way to stop the media making a mountain out of a molehill - get rid of the stump microphones :P

I only heard the comment Clarke made about breaking a guy's arm. He looked very cranky indeed when he said that - I think a sledge like that (bordering on a threat, even an empty threat) is going a bit far, but I think fining him is a bit much. Players who make racist comments should always be fined, but other stuff should be OK, I think.

That was a road accident of a test match.  England just didn't turn up, the Australian's certainly deserved their win.

As for everything else, I think trying to get a rise out of someone, or trying to distract them on the pitch is one thing, but I think some of the things being said both on and off the pitch are going too far.  It's supposed to be a game and a gentlemen's game at that, but I'm seeing very little evidence of that at the moment.

I think Trott leaving is going to be the deciding factor for England in this series.  He had a poor summer and although his lack of runs won't be missed, I think the hole he leaves in the team will be the harder thing for his team mates to handle.

They have a two day game to regroup this weekend and hopefully the fresh blood will help. 

We shall just have to wait and see . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Well played the Aussies, again :smile:

It's men against boys at the moment.  There were warning signs that this was coming in the previous series, imo, when the weather saved us a couple of times.

Ah yes, I remember when the weather saved you! But unfortunately the history books don't show that. :)

I was on an ill-timed weekend away, so I missed three full days. :( I caught the end though, yay! I'm really starting to dislike Mitchell Johnson. What a prat. Does he think he looks all tough with his tatts and mo/goatee? Grr.

Glad to see the Aussies finally winning. Hope we can make it 3-0 (and then of course 5-0, but let's not get ahead of ourselves! ;)).

It's supposed to be around 41 degrees at the cricket today. Those poor chaps! Given that cricket is played in some of the hottest countries around - India, Australia etc, you'd think they'd play it during the cooler months!

I feel sorry for the spectators too. Whenever I've gone to see a game, I always try to get a seat in the shade, so the heat doesn't matter too much. I've only had to sit in the sun once, and that was for the Ashes a few years ago, when it was really difficult to get tickets. I remember the temp was only in the late 20s on that day, but my Mum and I were so hot sitting in the sun all day that we ended up leaving before the end of the day because we just couldn't stand the heat anymore. I don't know people will cope today! And I bet there will still be people wearing heavy banana costumes or dressed in hot onesies! :D