Cricket

Kylie

I don't think England have played that badly in any of the ODIs, it's just that the toss and circumstances conspired against them in the first two matches.

The first team to bat has had a significant advantage in all three games, although I think we were more than holding our own in the second game until the Stokes incident, after which the wheels rather came off the wagon (for the record, I don't believe Stokes deliberately handled the ball, it looks like he could have in slow-mo but when you see it at full speed it looks a lot more like a reflex action to a ball that was heading straight for him).

Anyway, good game yesterday; it would be mighty satisfying if we could snatch a win in the series!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well wasent that a better match, I agree it seems to be the team that has batted first has seemed to have had the better chance.  With it going on so late was wondering if there was going to be a problem with dew on the grass, I don't think there was too many slips was there.

Those two catches I thought were exceedingly good, the finn and Roy ones.  I must admit I watched those a few times.

I was disappointed with the 3rd umpire for not realising it was a reflex action, (i'm being polite here) with so many injuries in recent years you would have thought it would have been looked at a bit kinder.

To be fair to the umpire, once it was referred upstairs the letter-of-the-law has to be followed - they can't judge a decision on what they think the player intended - it's just disappointing Australia appealed in the first place when it was obviously a reflex action on Stoke's part.

Had a wonderful time at Headingley yesterday, topped off in the end by an England win. It was very much a team performance from us - the Aussies had two big spells, one in the middle - Maxwell and Bailey - with Wade and Hastings hitting big at the end (65 runs off the last five overs--just when we thought we'd restricted them to a measly total).

Saying that, I always thought 300 was a total England could chase, and we went about it nicely. There was no heroics from anyone (aside from, perhaps, Morgan's 92, but that was a patient innings and allowed the others a bit of freedom in the middle). But really, there didn't need to be. Almost everyone chipped in nicely and in the end it was a pretty comfortable chase).

Great day, great win. Series levelled at 2-2. Tomorrow should be fun! :D

• 2 months later...

The only one I can't stand is Boycott, mainly because no matter how well the team plays he always finds something to whinge about (and they are usually the same gripes he's already expressed one hundred times before - lack of a decent spin-bowler and poor opening batsmen being the lead two at the mo!).

I agree on Boycott but the one I really can't bear is Ed Smith.  He loves the sound of his own voice.  When he asks the pundit a question he goes on for so long that I've forgotten what the start of the question was by the time he's finished.  And so has the pundit quite often!  And it's not as if he has an interesting voice.  He is so bland!  Simon Mann is much the same.  

I miss CMJ so much.  And Blowers as he only does London tests now.  

Looking at the scoring it looks like a good hit all round Roy 112 Root 71 and Butler 116 hope we win this one and then that is the series done, before we go to the 20 20, I like the quick pace of these matches.

• 1 year later...

Raven I do have to agree with you, we also said that they had not turned up.  I put the comment on to see if the post was still in play or not.

Its the second test this weekend so I hope they have had a talking to to get their act together.  I want us to win but at least feel there has been a match in the first place.

I don't believe there will be much change.  West Indies cricket is in a bit of a state at the moment, due to a number of reasons (and most of them off the pitch).  This is a very young team with very little experience to draw on and I don't think they have the ability to step up their game. 

Whilst it's fun to watch Cook and Root smash balls around the park and Anderson & Broad up their stats, if the resistance is as week as it was last week it's just embarrassing...

• 1 year later...

I had to laugh at the Chase's Paul Sinha's remark when NZ won unexpectedly against India.

'Couldn't you have just stuck to rugby you overperforming d***'s?' :rolol:

I felt really sorry for India, because they had played so well up until then and their captain Virat Kohli is such a gracious man.

So, bring it on England!! :lol:

An incredible game! A nail-biter to the end.  Both sides played so well, especially on such a difficult pitch, and both deserved to win. But congratulations to England for pipping us at the post and being such gracious winners.
I pulled an all-nighter and finally got to bed about 7 am to catch a couple of hours sleep, but it was certainly hard to calm down after all that excitement!

Many are saying it's the best one day international ever played.

Edited by poppy

• 1 year later...