Cricket

Kylie

Well, as I've said before I'm not a fan of Ponting, but I would have felt the same way if it had been Straus or one of the other England players.

Yes, he is under pressure, but going off on one at the umpires in the way he did isn't the right way of dealing with it (shades of Alex Ferguson everytime Manchester United drop a point - see last night for example).

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may seem like a dumb question but as I don't follow cricket I'm struggling to get my head round the results, can someone explain how come we've won the ashes but there is still one test match to go and correct me if I'm wrong but if the Aussies won that one wouldn't it mean the series is drawn at 2 -2? :confused:

(shades of Alex Ferguson everytime Manchester United drop a point - see last night for example).

In all fairness not the best example considering Birmingham's goal was both offside and handball, I agree with you though, he reacted wrongly.

This may seem like a dumb question but as I don't follow cricket I'm struggling to get my head round the results, can someone explain how come we've won the ashes but there is still one test match to go and correct me if I'm wrong but if the Aussies won that one wouldn't it mean the series is drawn at 2 -2? :confused:

Because England already have The Ashes we retain them even if we draw. Technically we haven't won outright yet, seen as though, like you say, there's a chance we can draw. However we have won in the sense that no matter what happens in the last test match, we've retained them.

Edited by Ben

Thank you Ben the fog has now lifted lol

No problem. It's funny you should say that, it definitely hasn't here; I can barely see my hands in front of my face outside. :lol:

In all fairness not the best example considering Birmingham's goal was both offside and handball, I agree with you though, he reacted wrongly.

No, it’s exactly the right example because yet again Fergie is arguing the toss with an official once a decision has been made.

It's the nature of the game, and no matter how good technology gets in "aiding" the final decision it still comes down to the man on the pitch [or field] calling things as they saw them as they did at the time.

Fergie usually has the benefit of a TV replay to aid his argument when he [regularly] takes pot-shots at refs, but the ref, on the spot at the time doesn't a have that luxury.

To be fair Fergie isn't the only manager doing this, but he is one of the most vocal, and one of the worst offenders.

<sigh> As much as it pains me to do this, I should point out that it's actually 2-1. England have won 2, Australia have won only 1, and 1 match was drawn.

<sigh> As much as it pains me to do this, I should point out that it's actually 2-1. England have won 2, Australia have won only 1, and 1 match was drawn.

Yeah so she means that if you win the last one, it'll be 2-2, which is true; but as I explained above, we thankfully retain them nevertheless.

Edited by Ben

I don't care how long they take to score runs, as long as they're not losing wickets!

What a shame Hughes got out so close to lunch. Still, I think that's our best start of the series so far. rolleyes.gif

Hussey's just gone, that's 173 for 6, hopefully that's the end of any concerted resistance.

Seemed not huh. Tail-enders dragged it out to 280, good effort. England 167-3 though, not a bad start.

A decent first innings from England with some excellent batting of course by Alistair Cook; it's a shame he didn't reach his double-century, but a good innings nevertheless.

Edited by Ben

Yep, another winner for England. How frustrating. Can't believe I took all of this week off work just to watch it. rolleyes.gif

At least you can console yourself by getting some books on the 2011 board!

On another note, I really dislike the English press. irked.gif

Hell, I live here and I don't like the English press, but is there any particular reason for your comment?

True, and I must admit that while I have the telly on I'm not paying much attention.

We've been hearing a bit about how much they thrash the Aussies. I know we're opponents, but really, is it necessary to be so vitriolic? I don't mind a bit of banter but they're just plain mean. They treat us like enemies and there is no sign of mateship. :( And apparently they're going on about Hughes being a 'cheat', which is a very strong word to use on a sportsman.