Cricket

Kylie

:P

We have an excuse (or so I like to think) in that we have a changing of the guard at the moment, having lost the brilliant, seemingly unbeatable team of yesteryear that contained the likes of Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer, Symonds, Warnie, McGrath, Lee.

It's going to take us a few years to get back on our feet and find some decent replacements, I fear. I don't know why everyone in Australia is so surprised and disgusted in our performance. I, for one, saw this coming a long time ago. *smug*

I can remember the Aussies going through a rough patch a few years ago, Kylie, (I think the captain's first name was Kim but I can't recall his surname). But then along came Warne etc so I'm sure they will bounce back from this.* They could still win this series, I suppose. However, saying that, I am enjoying England's triumph and hope they go on to retain the Ashes.

* Hopefully not just yet, though!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? We lost? :( The match wasn't aired here so I couldn't watch it, to my utter disappointment.

We were slaughtered, to put it bluntly. :( You really didn't miss much. Even I will admit that it was quite a dull game for the most part.

Yeah, we used that excuse for a while as well.

Got a bit tired after the best part of a decade . . .

Oh dear. I hope we don't take that long to get back on our feet. :(

The next test starts on 16 December in Perth. I'm rather sad that there's no cricket on this weekend - it's perfect cricket-watching weather here (stinking hot - a nice day to stay indoors and watch other people sweating it out on TV :D).

Several of our bowlers have been dumped for the next test (no surprise there). An unknown (to me, at least) spinner by the name of Beer will be making his debut in the Perth test.

A good start indeed. Hopefully Cook can go on to replicate the form he's displayed in the previous innings' in the series so we can beat them by an innings and a bit. Again!*

*I'm aware that I'm getting ahead of myself...

If (and I say IF) we win this one, we retain the Ashes regardless of what happens in the last two tests.

If that happens I will be happy because:

1) England will have retained the Ashes on Aussie soil

and

2) My friend George will have lost our bet and will have to buy me a pint!

98-5. Wow.

After a sublime start to day two of the third test in Perth, our confidence has took a heavy blow. Mainly thanks to Mitchell Johnson, who's picked up four out of the five wickets taken so far in the morning's session.

Well I haven't many opportunities so far to post happy (for me) news. ;)

I couldn't believe it when I got home and saw that England were all out and Australia was back in! We may be 3 out, but we have 95 runs on the board, which is better than the 3/2 we were in the last test. It's amazing how optimistic you become when you've had such a bad run. Usually 3/95 wouldn't impress me, but now I think it's marvellous! mocking.gif

Wow, England are now 3/55 in the second innings after Australia posted a reasonably good score (considering everything). I'm really starting to think we might win this. :) It would be good for the competition in general if we did win. It would be great if it came down to a nail-biting 5th test in Sydney.

England now 5/81 at stumps. I have a good feeling about this! I can't wait till it starts up again tomorrow.

I forgot to mention...I saw the awesome Glenn McGrath last weekend! I found myself wandering down a street behind him and his family. I wasn't 100% sure it was him at the time so I didn't say anything (I would have been too shy in any case!) but since seeing his kids on TV and talking to my Mum about what his new missus looks like, I've realised that it was him. Ooh ahh Glen McGrath! biggrin.gif I should have got down on my knees and begged him to return to cricket. But maybe we'll be OK after all!

• 2 weeks later...

I think we've just about got The Ashes wrapped up; makes all the late nights - early mornings - worth it for sure.

Edited by Ben

Oh no! They've driven Ponting away to shot him!

*gasp*

Nooooo. Poor Ponting. I was desperately hoping he would get a high score yesterday. My heart was breaking for him. wibbly.gif He has clearly lost his confidence.

Shane Watson was interviewed before play started and he looked so down and sad. I feel so sorry for our guys. :(

ETA: Congratulations England.

Edited by Kylie

Congratulations England and commiserations to Australia. What a fantastic day for the England team; all those late nights and early mornings were more than worth it.:yahoo:

Congratulations England and commiserations to Australia. What a fantastic day for the England team; all those late nights and early mornings were more than worth it.:yahoo:

I suppose you're glad they wrapped it up so early in the day so you can get to bed early for a change. mocking.gif

Nice speeches from both captains.

Haha yeah Kylie, I was glad I could get off to sleep for a change; thought for a minute that Siddle & Haddin were going to keep me awake.

Did you see his interview afterwards though? He was very apologetic and admitted he was wrong and behaved badly. He faced up to the media and didn't run away. Does that count for anything?

I did, and although it could just be a publicity stunt to get some fans back on side, I think he seemed quite genuine with his apologies. People flip out sometimes, so I personally think it should just be forgotten now.

Edited by Ben