You have only one book!

ian

Ok it's simple. You have the chance to give everyone one book of FICTION to read. What would you pick? Something obscure, or something classic?

For me it would be "The many-coloured Land" by Julian May. This is the first book in a saga of four with a sci-fi / fantasy theme. I first read it when I was 15, and would put it (and the rest, but I'd be breaking my own rule of only one book!) up with Lord of the Rings

Over to you!

Ian

Crikey...this is nigh on impossible! Erm...maybe His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman? That's quite a good read. Or Harlan Coben's Deal Breaker? The Complete Works of Shakespeare? Blimey, I don't know, Ian! Why'd you ask ME? biggrin.gif

Difficult choice.

Ummmmm, maybe To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee...or Little, Big by John Crowley...or, ummm....Don Quixote by Cervantes...or Bleak House by Charles Dickens...or A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving...or Stranger in a Strange Land by R.A. Heinlein...ummm...or Lolita by Nabokov.

That's just one. Yeah.

Vinay, this month's reading circle book is Les Mis. Perhaps you would like to join in the discussion? :)

I'd love to but it's been over 4 years since I've read Les Mis! I should reread before I join and sadly, there's not enough time. There's nothing against me trying to reread it now though.

This is so difficult .. I think I'd try and give them something that maybe they haven't read so I'd probably steer clear of the classics or anything that's got a huge reputation. Perhaps a book like Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides or Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke or possibly Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

I know I've cheated with three .. if I had to choose just one then I'd go for the Gaiman because it's story telling at it's best.

Are short story collections allowed? I'm sure that the Ray Bradbury short story collection (the one that comes in in the cardboard slipcase with *all* of the short stories) would manage to guarantee a person fall in love with the written word. If short story collections are disallowed, then either The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy or something by Stephen Fry would be my next choices.

Ian, you are evil! This is an impossible question!

For me, it would probably be either The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien or A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami. Or The Bell Jar.

There are some very interesting choices here, many of which I haven't read, so I'll put them on my virtual TBR pile The only thing you all seem to agree on is how evil I am!

Muhaa haa haa! (little finger at side of mouth)

Agatha Christie's "And then there were none". A book everyone should read. :D

You weren't annoyed with the end of the novel? There are better works in the Christie canon. I'm more impressed with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, due to the sheer audacity of the entire premise. Also, with And Then There Were None, you have to skirt around the troublesome early titles the novel was published under...

You weren't annoyed with the end of the novel? There are better works in the Christie canon. I'm more impressed with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, due to the sheer audacity of the entire premise. Also, with And Then There Were None, you have to skirt around the troublesome early titles the novel was published under...

No, I was not. I really enjoyed it. I had nightmares because of it cause I read every night before going to bed. :)

I like Agatha Christie, I did enjoy The Murder of Roger Ackroyd too. And The murder on the orient express. Also the ABC murders.

Agatha was the queen of who dun it, still is.

Since my favorite genre is crime with murder mysteries, I would choose the best one out there. Agatha Christie's "And then there were none". A book everyone should read. :D

I have one Agatha Christy novel - They came to Baghdad. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, maybe for my next read. I'll have to buy a copy of your recommendation to go with it :D

I would probably read Ferdinand Celine's Journey to the end of the night. I've always wanted to read it, and If I only had one book I wouldn't want to read something familiar.

I have one Agatha Christy novel - They came to Baghdad. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, maybe for my next read. I'll have to buy a copy of your recommendation to go with it :D

If anything, one should read And then there were none because its one of the most sold books ever in the world. Over 100 million copies sold. :)

Wiki-quote: It is Christie's best-selling novel with 100 million sales to date, making it the world's best-selling mystery ever, and one of the most-printed books of all time (Publications International lists it as 7th most-printed).

If I was restricted to fiction, then I would probably have to agree with vinay87: Les Miserables. But with a free choice, I think I'd go down the non-fiction route, probably JR Roberts's History of the World. I might even learn something!

Edited by willoyd