Any Anne Rice fans out there?

samfarrell

14 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest vampire novelist....

• Anne Rice
    • Stephenie Meyer

I love Anne Rice's older stuff, mainly the Mayfair trilogy and the Vampire Chronicles up to about The Vampire Armand. After that, they're all boring. I detest Twilight, though, as most people here know. But we do have a lot of Twilight fans, as you'll see if you visit the Young Adult forum!

I haven't read Twilight, and only will if I run out of things to read, which is not likely. Ugh. I LOVE Anne Rice, and several other vampire books, but Anne Rice in my eyes, is still the best. Nothing can beat Lestat, at least until he became the whiny Jesus-freak. ;) Yes, me too, I don't particularly like the later books. ;)

great to hear from Rice fans!!!! I've read interview, lestat, queen of the damded, the vampire armand, tale of the body thief ( which I really enjoyd) and memnock the devil ( which I also enjoyed) I have the others but havent got round to them yet lol, but they are on my ever growing maaahuussive book list.

I fab book that I read recently is The Passage by justin cronen.

marvelous

I love Lestat, he is awesome. I don't think that you can really compare Meyer and Rice, they are so totally different!

I agree, I don't think you can compare them. If I had to choose...Anne Rice all the way. Lestat is one of my favourite literary characters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I dislike pretty much detest everything related to the Twilight series personally but I can't say I am a huge fan of Anne Rice either.

What I find frustrating is that I can recognise that she is a very good writer but I gave up on Interview with the Vampire as found it so frustrating to read. I found it far to over elaborate in places and didn't find any of the characters likeable at all so the chances of me reading any more are slim.

I would still rate Anne Rice far above Stephanie Meyer though because, as I said before, she is a good writer it's just not my style.

I'd say the greatest vampire novelists aren't even mentioned in the poll. You've neglected the likes of Stoker and LeFanu for a start - LOL! I don't rate either Meyer or Rice as writers of merit. Rice can spin a good yarn, but her writing is pretty duff. Meyer doesn't seem to have an ounce of originality in the Twilight series and can't write for toffee either. But that's just my opinion - many think otherwise.

One of the very best vampire novels I ever read was A Taste of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington, which was exciting, packed full of originality, and pretty well written too.

• 1 month later...

Anne Rice is one of my favorite authors. I love Louis. The vampire genre is one of my favorites, although it very hit and miss. I've read the twilight series and I have to agree with others and say that you simple can't compare it with the Vampire Chronicles. It's entirely different. Team Edward all the way, but he's no Lestat. I really enjoy the Paris Immortal series by S.Roit. That's a little like Anne Rice.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Anne Rice and liked the Vampire Chronicles although not all of the books grabbed me the way some did. I loved the Mayfair witched trilogy (dare I say more than the vampire books) and yet I am a huge vampire fan. Maybe it was because I read the witches first?

• 4 months later...

I love Anne Rice, Memnoch the Devil and Pandora are my two favorite books from her. I will go ahead and utter the blasphemy that I also liked Twilight, but with a small caveat. I don't care one hoot how many times she or anyone else tries to say those books are about vampires, they are not in any way about vampires. Not one vampire appeared in that story, unless you count the fact that they drink blood and were physically invulnerable and immortal as making them vampires. In my opinion those two things alone do not a vampire make. She turned her back on all of the established and very interesting lore, myths and legends about vampires and created a teen romance novel based on some weird sparkly creatures she just chose to call vampires. Not to mention the fact that she felt it was alright to wait until the fourth book to correct the misconception that the wolves were werewolves. If she took out the supernatural aspects the love story she wove would have been an amazing one. Anyway, because of her weirdness about two of my favorite legendary creatures I will most likely never be a hard core fan.

I want to be an Ann Rice fan. We have the Vampire stories in a huge book at my house. Which my sister said she had to read first. So I let her... anyway, 2 months later she's still only on chapter 5, so I think sometime next year I'll be able to call myself a fan... :P