An Introduction

Miss Blaine

Hello everyone! I'm Blaine. I'm a 24 year old mother of a wacky, way-too-smart seven year old bookworm... which he got from me. I hail from Michigan. I'm unsure as to what to say about myself, but considering this is a book forum, I figure I can just detail my reading habits and see where that takes me.

I am, above all other things, a horror fan. I love everything from psychological thrillers to flat-out splatterpunk. I read true crime novels (I've got a thing for serial killers, especially if it's cannibalistic serial killers). I'm also a huge monster fan. Zombies are a big one for me, though werewolves with always make top spot... and that's a lifelong love affair. My mother's actually got a letter to Santa I wrote asking for him to make me a werewolf when I was six. I've never gotten over it, either (thanks a lot, Lon Chaney Jr.). I'm really off on vampires, though, unless it's a drastically unique twist on the genre. Author-wise, let's see... Calrton Mellick III and Caitlin R. Kiernan stick out for me (Caitlin's in my top three favorite authors ever list) and I've been getting into Edward Lee, Richard Laymon, and Brian Keene lately. Also, since it's technically horror, my son and I have a little secret... we've spent all summer and fall collecting Goosebumps books for him, and Fear Street books for me. A little throwback to growing up, they're silly and sort of campy, but they've got fond memories attached to them, and it amuses me that I've had to buy a whole bookshelf just for R.L. Stine. Our goal is to complete the collection completely by October 2011.

Aside from horror, I like mysteries, especially noir detective novels, and I'm a big science fiction fan, although I'm ashamed to say I've somehow managed to skip most of the 'classics'. I will always hold a very dear place in my heart for Ray Bradbury... his short story 'Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed' was the first science fiction anything I'd ever read, and I've been pretty hooked since. I love Orson Scott Card, I just finished the Rama series, and as far as I'm concerned, Brian Lumley's 'House of Doors' is one of the best sci-fi/horror novels ever written. I'm toeing the waters of cyberpunk, as well, and it's looking promising. Rudy Rucker's coming up on my 'authors to read' list, and I'm pretty excited to get to him. Some of my favorite novels also happen to be young adult stuff; 'The Dark Angel' trilogy by Meredith Anne Pierce is one of my favorites, and I just finished 'The Hunger Games' trilogy and that's definitely going to get read to pieces. I like Garth Nix's 'Sabriel', although the continuation of that series sort of disappointed me. Also, I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of George R. R. Martin... not just the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, my copies of which have been read to tatters, but his other works as well. He wrote one of the few vampire stories I enjoyed, although for the life of me I can't remember what it was called... 1920's... steamboats... nope, can't remember.

Really, though, I'll read just about anything anyone hands me; from Jodi Picoult to Terence McKenna, Anna Quindlen to Reginald O. Crosley. I'm not picky in the slightest; I read for the joy of reading. I like to be scared, and grossed out, and made uncomfortable, but I also like to laugh and fall in love and cry. I get attached to my characters (and while I'm reading a novel, yes, they're mine).

Well, now that I've typed my hands into a cramp, I'll go now... so, again, hello everyone!

Hello Blaine and welcome to the forum! That was a really interesting intro, I'm happy to hear your son has inherited your passion for books :smile2: Since you enjoy crime novels, I've got to ask you, have you read the Dexter novels and/or seen the TV-series? I love them both, though have to admit I've only seen the first two seasons of the series. Good stuff!

See you around!

Hello Blaine and welcome to the forum! That was a really interesting intro, I'm happy to hear your son has inherited your passion for books :smile2: Since you enjoy crime novels, I've got to ask you, have you read the Dexter novels and/or seen the TV-series? I love them both, though have to admit I've only seen the first two seasons of the series. Good stuff!

See you around!

I've seen the series (still catching up on the 5th season episodes, of course) and I've read the first one of the books... Darkly Dreaming Dexter? I don't remember too much of it, though, definitely need to pick it up and give it another go! The TV series is all around pretty awesome... the third season was a little lackluster, but the fourth season ROCKED. The ending was literally one of those "OMG, seriously?!?!" moments... really good. =)