Book about mental illnesses.

Hi all!

I'm just looking for a book (preferably non-fiction for the reality factor) that is written about, by, or anything to do with mental illnesses/asylums that will give me chills! I know I have a weird request, I'm just fascinated and fancy a change in reading (from Karen Rose!) to something a little more chilling, something that's going to keep me up an night really haha!!

Thanks for reading,

Mitch.

The obvious one that springs to mind is Ayslums by Goffman. A more personal account is "The Quiet Room" by Lori Schiller. There are also plenty of histories of the asylum system out there as well. It depends whether you are looking for something personal, historical or academic and theoretical.

The immediate (fiction) book that springs to mind is Ken Kesey's 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'.

I'll ponder this some more, because I'm sure this query has come up before, but I cannot find the relevant thread. :)

That's the first that came to mind for me too.

Maybe The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath. It's fiction but based on Plath's life

I found the old thread!

If you look here Mitch, you'll find an old thread where the query was about books on madness. There are quite a few suggestions there, so hopefully you'll fins one or two that are both relevant to your search, and that give you the chills! :wink:

I would also recommend The Quiet Room and Weekends at Bellevue. I have a few more on my Amazon Wish list to read that look interesting.

Angelhead: My Brother's Descent into Madness

Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder

The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic