Downton Abbey

Ruth

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruth

Thank you for telling me they had more episodes in season 2. Right now, it only lists the first 3 and they seem to be releasing one per week for some reason. Anyhow, maybe I'll wait and get the whole season once it is all complete,rather than dribbling a few out here and there .

Timmo

I'm not sure what type shows you like ,but I would think anyone who watches this would find something in it that interested them. The home is absolutely beautiful.Scenery gorgeous. Very witty writing .Each character has their own separate story going,so it gives you a little bit of everything. In parts sad, but each episode also has something to make you chuckle. The 2 old ladies are funny ,along with the little kitchen girl. She's a real live wire .

I hope you enjoy it .

Isn't the news GREAT? Shirley MacLaine to play the Mom of the American Lady of the house in the next series of this fantastic entertainment!

Treats in store for us all, as Shirley and our beloved Maggie Smith swap barbs and challenges as they are sure to do, as the respective mothers and grandmothers of our favourite family.

An inspired choice by a faceless "someone" - we salute you.

The new Upstairs Downstairs starts on 19th February (I think on BBC1, but it might be BBC2). Eileen Atkins will not be in it sadly, but Alex Kingston is joining the cast. Comparisons to Downton are inevitable I guess, but I'll definitely be watching :)

• 1 month later...

I just started watching it yesterday and I'm now on series 1 episode 7!!! Dame Maggie is just too hysterical! LOL!!

Matthew's Mother "I shall take that as a compliment"

The Dowager "Then I must have said it wrong!"

And who can forget the line "why must everything involve a fight with the Americans?"

• 6 months later...

Countdown is nearly over, folks - less than two hours to go before we're all snuggled down with a nice little-something (personal choices on that!) to watch this years' first episode of our favourite show.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the "Dames" of the Abbey (Shirley MacLaine and Maggie Smith) have-at each other - enjoy it, everyone. :smile:

Kat

Isn't the show absolutely fascinating ? The scenery, house and clothes are all so beautiful . I love the way they tossed in a little bit of everything, funny, sad, historical, educational ,a tiny bit of romance ( which is fine,any more then it'd be too sappy) MY opinion ... I don't like Sap .

Booknutt

I envy you getting to see the new show . Drop in and give us first impressions of the new season .

it didn't disappoint - it was just as good as ever!

Spoilers for last night's show...

I was so glad Sybil has come back for the wedding - and that the family are beginning to thaw a little towards Tom!

Best line of all had to be Sir Anthony to Edith: "Have you done something jolly with your hair?" rofl.gif

Shirley MacLaine was great - some good scenes to come with her and Maggie Smith, methinks!

Kat

Isn't the show absolutely fascinating ? The scenery, house and clothes are all so beautiful . I love the way they tossed in a little bit of everything, funny, sad, historical, educational ,a tiny bit of romance ( which is fine,any more then it'd be too sappy) MY opinion ... I don't like Sap .

Booknutt

I envy you getting to see the new show . Drop in and give us first impressions of the new season .

I love the show, we've watched the first season, and we bought the second season, but h aven't watched it yet! gak. Must watch soon.

Can't wait till season 3 is available. :D

Almost had a panic attack yesterday - I couldn't find my copy of the Series 2! All was well eventully, though.

I do love settling down to a whole day of Downton occasionally.It's a wonderful way to cope with a gloomy Winter day, or maybe a day when you don't feel well. Just disappear into another world ... Bless the person who invented DVD's :smile:

One little nit-to-pick with the fashions of the series. Once a character disappears beneath those awful (cloche?) hats they are completely unrecognisable! I'm, glad Sybil returned for the wedding, too, but for the first few minutes I thought another actress was playing her part - she didn't look like "herself" at all.

Noticed it with "House of Eliott" characters too, another favourite of mine. Love the dresses - hate the hats!

Still - I'll forgive 'em, and keep enjoying the series. :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who hasn't seen last nights' episode (14.10.12) - look away NOW!

R.I.P. our sweet-natured Lady Sybil - I was very moist-eyed over her traumatic passing :cry: and we'll miss her from the family circle.

Seemingly, the actress who played her has received lots of offers of other roles, and decided to leave the series.

Although the exit of Sybil was tragic (and final!) I am glad "they" didn't decide to put another actress in her place to carry on.

Even among the splendour of Downton Abbey tears are a reality of life. The storyline will continue with chauffeur-Dad Tom no doubt sparring with the family over the upbringing of little Sybil. An opportunity for yet more pithy remarks from the Dowager Countess, to come. :smile: ,

I'm watching series 2 on DVD at the moment. Love it. Series 3 starts here tomorrow, so I'll be taping it to watch when I've finished series 2. My daughter seemed to be getting into it yesterday too. She's usually playing on her phone while the TVs on, but last night I noticed she was nearly always focused on the TV screen instead. :smile:

Has anyone else got "The World of Downton Abbey" the first-published book of the series? I snaffled it a few weeks ago in a cut-price shop and a very enjoyable bargain it is.

Very entertaining and informative, it deals with the second season mainly - those years covering the First World War when life for Abbey folks above and below stairs changed forever. This is a lovely and entertaining mixture of facts regarding those times, and the fiction of the Abbey family and staff. Easy reading, educational, and plenty of beautiful photographs throughout.

There's a second book just published too - I'm dropping heavy hints in the hope of getting it as a Christmas present. ;)

Edited by Booknutt

I know I'm harping-on about the books again, but I just have to share ...

I wandered into my local supermarket this morning with nothing more interesting on my mind than the usual weekly shop - and spotted the second book of the series "The Chronicles of Downton Abbey" for only £7. Did I snaffle it? You bet :exc: !!

(Gained a few more points too - every little helps ... :wink: )

Back to the show - I got a bit cross on Sunday when Lord G. and Mr Carson were united in their disapproval of Ethel, and her unmarried mother/reformed fallen woman circumstances, to the extent of forbidding the staff and ladies of the house her company. In contast, the women (upstairs and down) were approving of the attempts Ethel was making to rebuild her life and deal with her seperation from her son - and ignored instructions to stay clear of her. (Good on ya, girls!)

It's often the way, even nowadays - men can be so much more judgemental of a woman than her fellow females.

Anyone would think it doesn't take two to tango :smile: