Downton Abbey

Ruth

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Felt so proud of Tom last night - defending The Family to his crass brother who'd arrived for the christening of little Sybil. He's starting to feel the unity now, and that bodes well for the future.

Matthew on the hot plate in terms of leading the Abbey into the future being self supporting, as it goes. With Mary leading his support team - an amusement park can't be far behind! :D

So far the third series is wrapping-up nicely ... keep fingers crossed for next week's end of series revelations.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody else think that series 3 seemed to end very abruptly on Sunday night?

Suddenly - it stopped! Of course, there is the Christmas special to look forward to, which will help round things off a bit.

Poor old Bates - no good deed goes unpunished ... Thomas is b-a-c-k, and now he's senior to Bates, and no doubt out for O'Brien's blood... which'll put Bates in her bad books to add to his problems!

Wouldn't it be nice if Anna announced a pregnancy in the Christmas special?

Wouldn't it be nice if Anna announced a pregnancy in the Christmas special?

I think this will happen. Have to wait until Christmas to find out! Until then, I don't know what I'm going to do on a Sunday night, now that 'Downton' has finished :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the great news this morning - a fourth eight episode series of "Downton", plus a Christmas special,

is secure for next year! :exc:

It's a long wait till next Autumn, but meanwhile ... the DVD's are a comfort. :smile:

Yes - that'll be a treat for us, Janet.

As it'll be on in the evening, I may just be able to sneak in a little :readingtwo: of the Downton book I bought a few weeks ago as a gift to myself too, during the day.

Just to get myself in the mood .... :D

4 weeks of countdown to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Resisted posting on this thread until now, because I have only very recently caught up with season 3 (I was away for a lot of November, so recorded the whole series to watch when I got back).

Anyway - loved it! I actually started to warm up to Thomas, and felt very sorry for him - which I never thought would happen. I will be interested to see how things play out with him and Bates now - will they be friends now that Bates has effectively saved Thomas's job?

Sybil's death - I cried buckets!! Sybil was my favourite sister, but Edith is running her a close second :)

Maggie Smith - brilliant as always.

The only character I don't like is Matthew - sorry, but he's like a yawn in human form! I'm not sure if what I'm about to write counts as a spoiler, but just in case, I'm putting it into spoiler tags!

It's been all over the news that he won't be in all of season 4, so I wonder what will happen there? My guess is he will be killed off, but that is pure speculation - I have no actual idea. But the actor has not been very gracious about the show at all, and I won't particularly miss the character.

Edited by Ruth

• 9 months later...

And so - into Season 4! :D

Thank goodness Lady Mary was just emerging from her mourning in the first episode. Beautifully acted, but  she looked like one of the undead :o  with her pale skin, dark hair and eyes, and ever-present black!

Going into shades of purple (the formal just emerging from deep mourning colours) will suit her much better, and be less depressing for us viewers, too.    

What about that nasty nanny then? Children in those days were very much at the mercy of nursery staff, especially in this particular case where Lady M. herself showed little interest in her son.  For once Thomas was the hero of the family,as he tipped Granny off about the way she made such a difference between George and little Sybil , and she was very properly sacked in disgrace. So that leaves a space for a new face in the regulars, as another nanny comes in - be interesting to see if relationships form. as nannys back then were expected to be unmarried, and we'll be seeing quite a few incoming himbos in this series.

A great start to the new season, and I'm looking forward to seeing the lovely styles of 1920's ladies dresses - some were quite spectacular.         

Took me all of the first episode to 'get back into' Downton, but enjoyed the second one much more and feels as if I haven't been away from it now!The usual good acting, period details and interest. I record it and watch it the next day as I can't stand all the adverts.

• 1 year later...