Adventure Book Recommendations?

So I'm looking for recommendations on adventure books. Two of my favourite all time books are 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' :) in which, the main characters both share an initial naivety to the world around them, and to what it may hold (which I love) :P

To sum up what I'm look for in an adventure book, I'd like it to be; well written, original, witty and the character being taken out of their comfort zones (but this isn't too important). I'm also open to anything, from classics and non-fiction to Sci-fi and fantasy. :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Edited by Jonathon

I'm not sure if these ticks the boxes but when you mentioned classics, then I immediately thought of King Solomon's Mines and She - both by Rider Haggard. They are great adventures (and I'm sure Indiana Jones was based on Allan Quartermain) and they are quite witty in places. You may get slightly annoyed though at the Victorian writing style but get past that and you have two great adventure stories.

Edited by SueK

I'm not sure if these ticks the boxes but when you mentioned classics, then I immediately thought of King Solomon's Mines and She - both by Rider Haggard. They are great adventures (and I'm sure Indiana Jones was based on Allan Quartermain) and they are quite witty in places. You may get slightly annoyed though at the Victorian writing style but get past that and you have two great adventure stories.

Oh yeah. King Solomon's Mines was great. I read that years ago.

Given that you like The Lord of the Rings I reckon you could do far worse than try some other fantasy classics, such as (if you haven't read them already):

Magician by Raymond E. Feist, which is the first in a series but can be read on its own.

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, which is a stand-alone fantasy novel and one of the best I've ever read (and I've heard that his The Lions of Al Rassan is even better, but it's sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, so I can't confirm that ... yet :) ).

Legend by David Gemmell, which is top-notch heroic fantasy from one of the best storytellers in the genre.

Special mention for The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers, which is a terrific, fast-moving time travel adventure that I absolutely loved.

Whatever you choose, enjoy! :)

Thanks for all of the prompt recommendations :D I think I'm going to go with Tigana or King Solomon's Mines, with The 'Anubis Gates' as an addition to my to-read list (and which ever I don't choose). I'll also keep referring back to this thread, so any more recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: I've previously read lord of the flies and enjoyed it, but thanks anyway Kidsmum :lol:

Edited by Jonathon