Books You're Embarrassed Not To Have Read

Book Fiend

Hmmm. If you are a Christian and have never read the Bible or at least parts thereof (especially New Testament) then I think you could look a little shame faced. (This doesn't sounds like you are).

If you are not a christian then does it really matter? It might be nice to have some idea of the events in the Bible because it helps us understand alot of art history and where our traditions come from.

I am not at all religious in any organised sense (although I definitely believe in love and goodness and our own non-corporeal essence) and so any interest I might have in reading the Bible would be to see what all the furore is about. I have a strong interest in art and its history and studied this at A-level, so have researched influences on my own initiative.

So. Erm...maybe I'll have a look at it one day? How does that sound? wink.gif

While I do get embarrassed easily, what I read or don't read is not something that causes me shame, thank goodness.

I'm not going to read something I don't want to. Life is too short for that.

On the flip side, I can't understand embarrassment over a book I read and didn't enjoy at all. Would you be ashamed for trying a flavor of ice cream and not finding it to your taste? Seems rather silly, if you ask me.

Edited by Pixie

I am not at all religious in any organised sense (although I definitely believe in love and goodness and our own non-corporeal essence) and so any interest I might have in reading the Bible would be to see what all the furore is about. I have a strong interest in art and its history and studied this at A-level, so have researched influences on my own initiative.

So. Erm...maybe I'll have a look at it one day? How does that sound? wink.gif

I had never read any of the Bible before travelling. Luckily someone gave me a quick synopsis before visiting the Louvre etc or I would have been stuck on the meaning of alot of the paintings.

Later I became a christian so the bible reading thing took hold and parts of it are great. I certainly never wanted to read it as a non-Christian so completely understand.

I can't think of a single book I'm embarrassed about not having read, I think we all take our own paths when it comes to choosing what we read and there are some books I just haven't got round to yet.

You like what you like, you read what you want to read :)

Totally agree. I am not embarrassed that I've not read a particular book. There a thousands of books in the world, many of them considered 'great'.

I'm not going to get round to reading them all.

So what?

Edited by ~Andrea~

I can't think of a single book I'm embarrassed about not having read, I think we all take our own paths when it comes to choosing what we read and there are some books I just haven't got round to yet.

Having said that, I would like to broaden by knowledge of the classics.

Likewise! I don't even have any desire to read any of the classics. I would like to read more books (fiction or otherwise) set during the World Wars I/II. Any recommendations?

Thanks I'll give those a go :)

I'll second those. The Pickwick Papers is one of the funniest books I've read, and good old Bleak House never lets you down, either, but I don't think you can go wrong with Dickens, personally.

But like other people here, I'd say no-one should be ashamed of what they've read or haven't read. By and large, the self-appointed arbiters of taste, in whatever field, are usually fools or charlatans.

I used to be bothered about what I hadn't read. But these days, I'm much less concerned about what other people think! In the past I've wasted too much time trying to get through "must-read" books that were frankly rubbish in my humble opinion. These days, I read what I like, and as a result, have found that my tastes have widened

Ian

I am not at all religious in any organised sense (although I definitely believe in love and goodness and our own non-corporeal essence) and so any interest I might have in reading the Bible would be to see what all the furore is about. I have a strong interest in art and its history and studied this at A-level, so have researched influences on my own initiative.So. Erm...maybe I'll have a look at it one day? How does that sound? wink.gif

I'm not a Christian but I've read a children's version of the Bible dozens of times. I own a copy of the King James Bible but never really got into it. Just yesterday I discovered this lovely book by Pearl S Buck entitled "The Story Bible". It comes in 2 volumes, one for each Testament. The way she had retold the stories is just plain magical. I'm reliving my childhood as I'm reading it. It's amazing how small each volume is! I recommend it if you want to read the Bible in a non-religious setting. To be honest, the stories read as though she's retelling Greek Mythology. Very, very magical.

@Nollaig: I'll most certainly read To Kill A Mockingbird soon.

Edited by vinay87

Not really. Since I am a big fantasy fan and love the films I was always embarrassed to not have read "Lord of the Rings".. am fixing it right now, just finished the Fellowship today and am right on to The Two Towers. Love it! Weird thing is, years ago I tried them in Dutch and couldn't get beyond the first part, and even then I struggled ot get as far.

Now, in English.. I'm flying through them. :)

Oh, and every book that I think "can't believe I haven't read that one" of goes on my TBR list, and recently I have been excellent in picking those books to read, and usually finishing them, and LOVING them. Ahh. :)

Edited by Univerze

I agree with the stance that you shouldn't be embarrassed about books you haven't (yet) read, but I am a bit shame faced at the fact I've not read anything beyond Macbeth by Shakespeare (and that was at school nearly ten years ago). I am also embarrassed about books I have read, and I have read a lot of bad books, but I try to finish anything I start.

I would like to read Lord of the Rings, but I'm not really a fantasy fan, so I think I would struggle through it. My limit at the moment seems to be extended to Stephen King, so maybe I will branch out eventually.

Ahh see I adore fantasy, always have for as long as I can remember my reading history.. it's always been to fantasy, horror and sci-fi.. and this is for the last 20 years. So. But I am not ashamed to say I don't read much outside those genres. I read classics, Jane Eyre and the likes. But that's as far as I tend to go outside the genres I love. I don't look for realism in books, I read for escapism. For things that satisfy my imagination.

And I found Shakespeare so dull.. we read Macbeth too. We had a brilliant teacher, who read it TO us mostly, but still I couldn't care less. I don't do poetry of any kind.. the most poetry I have ever read is Poe's The Raven, which I loved.. give me proze anyday. Makes me a little sad that I won't be very able to read Dante's Divine Comedy though, just my thing. But it would also have to be in dutch translation, and I hardly ever read dutch these days.