Books You're Embarrassed Not To Have Read

Book Fiend

Sometimes when I'm in conversation with another book lover, I find that they will make a comment about some classic book that they just assume you will have read. I then find myself in the embarrassing position of having to admit to not actually having read it, at which point they will look at me in astonishment! Do you ever find yourself in this situation?

For me the main books are:

To Kill A Mocking Bird - I've been meaning to read this for years, it's sat on my bookshelf patiently waiting. In fact, it's always the book I'm going to read next, but for some reason I never get around to it!

Anything by Charles Dickens - I've never liked any Charles Dickens adaption that I've seen on TV so, I hate to admit it, but I have no intention of ever reading any of his books. They just all seem so depressing!

The Lord of the Rings - I tried, I really did, but I just found it impossible. I gave up after 100 pages. In my defence, I have read The Hobbit

Jane Eyre - Once again, it's on my bookshelf and I will get around to it eventually!

Wuthering Heights - I admit it, I'm probably never going to read this.

Until very recently Lord of the Flies was also on this list, but I read that last month :D

Oh so many but I guess the main one's are ..

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky (I've heard an abridged version so I know the basis of the story but I really want to read it in it's entirety .. I bought it so it's been shelf sitting for a while.)

Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (Another shelf sitter and another book I know the basic story of)

Anything by Shakespeare .. there's a few stories I know vaguely, I can recite one sonnet in it's entirety (alas, it's probably the most recited sonnet) but I've never read any of his plays.

The Iliad and The Odyssey .. though they scare me half to death.

and Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye .. Moby Dick, Frankenstein, Dracula, Les Misérables anything by Kafka, H.G. Wells or Kipling.

Infact all of the classics that I haven't read and should have by now. When you tell someone you love reading books they will always, if they're book lovers too, start quoting the classics ... and nine times out of ten I haven't a clue what they're on about.

Anything by Charles Dickens :blush: and 'The Lord of the Flies' by William Golding (I think its just the idea of kids being incredibly mean to each whilst on a island) :blush:

I'll be the odd one out and say that 'A Tale of Two Cities' is the only Dickens I've read, and would actually count it among my favorite books :blush:. I am however embarassed to say that I've not read David Copperfield or anything else by him. I've also not read any Jane Austen, although it's not for lack of trying!

Anything by Charles Dickens :blush: and 'The Lord of the Flies' by William Golding (I think its just the idea of kids being incredibly mean to each whilst on a island) :blush:

Haven't read any Charles Dickens either, they seem to put David Copperfield on TV ad nauseum and it's totally put me off.

Although 'The Lord of the Flies' has a pretty strong message, I found it unsettling with quite sinister undertones. I don't think you'll miss too much by not having read it Paula :)

I'm embarassed not to have read 'The Lord of the Rings', although I've made a start by reading 'The Hobbit'.

I'm embarrassed by the fact that I've never read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, or anything else by Mark Twain for that matter. I feel like it makes me less of an American. :giggle:

Oh the classics... I've always held them in highest regard, but never ventured to them until I fell in love with an avid classics fan. But my embarrassment at not appreciating proper literature and subsequently delving into them with initial apprehension, opened a whole new world of literature to me. Now, I find myself heading for the classics section every time I enter a bookstore. ^_^

Haven't read any Charles Dickens either, they seem to put David Copperfield on TV ad nauseum and it's totally put me off.

Although 'The Lord of the Flies' has a pretty strong message, I found it unsettling with quite sinister undertones. I don't think you'll miss too much by not having read it Paula :)

I'm embarassed not to have read 'The Lord of the Rings', although I've made a start by reading 'The Hobbit'.

Thanks Poppy, I read 'The Hobbit' and :blush: stumbled through 'Lord of the rings' :)

Well I wouldn't exactly say I'm embarrassed by it but I've only read Great Expectations by Dickens because I had to at school. I've never really been able to get into his books as I find him a bit of a waffler but perhaps I'll give him another try to see if my opinions changed :)

Any Dickens fans out there what which of his books would you recommend?

I can't think of a single book I'm embarrassed about not having read, I think we all take our own paths when it comes to choosing what we read and there are some books I just haven't got round to yet.

Having said that, I would like to broaden by knowledge of the classics.

Edited by Raven

I can't think of a single book I'm embarrassed about not having read, I think we all take our own paths when it comes to choosing what we read and there are some books I just haven't got round to yet.

Having said that, I would like to broaden by knowledge of the classics.

Couldn't agree more with your first sentence Raven. I read a book for pleasure not because I think I have to read it because it's a 'classic'.

I agree there are no books I'm embarassed not to have read.

The closest is maybe the Iliad and odyssey just because I have no idea what people are talking about when this mythology is referenced (and it is in so many books!)

I have to admit thought that there are plenty of books that I'm embarassed that I have read.

I agree there are no books I'm embarassed not to have read. I have to admit thought that there are plenty of books that I'm embarassed that I have read.

^ Yeah, I've got a few of those!

Same here. But isn't it funny that some of the books I'm embarrassed about having read are some others favourite do-dah's!

I've never read the Bible. Should I be embarrassed by this? I fully intend to never read it, anyway. Does this make me closed-minded? Is that even an expression? When will these questions ever end?

...apparently now...

I used to be embarrassed that my reading habits weren't more high-brow. After five years of enforced classics reading at uni I decided that I'll read what I like.

As long as the list of books I want to read is bigger than the list of books I ought to read, I'm happy to be a pleb. :D

Any Dickens fans out there what which of his books would you recommend?

A Tale of Two Cities is wonderful, and also one of his shorter books. A Christmas Carol is also terrific for a small dose of Dickens. I try to re-read it every year at Christmas time. :)

1. Anything by Charles Dickens. I just can't digest his writing, I don't think I'm still capable of understanding his books yet. In my opinion, I need more patience there.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird

3. Catch 22

4. Catcher in the Rye

5. The Jungle book

6. Dune

7. War and Peace. I'll be able to rest easy when I finally read this book or anything else by Tolstoy

8. Shakespeare's Plays

9. Sherlock Holmes (I'm fixing that before this year ends. I've read 2 books and I'm going to read the rest by 2011)

10. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. There is no excuse for not reading either of these books. I should attend to them quickly. I don't even own either!

Same here. But isn't it funny that some of the books I'm embarrassed about having read are some others favourite do-dah's!

I've never read the Bible. Should I be embarrassed by this? I fully intend to never read it, anyway. Does this make me closed-minded? Is that even an expression? When will these questions ever end?

...apparently now...

Hmmm. If you are a Christian and have never read the Bible or at least parts thereof (especially New Testament) then I think you could look a little shame faced. (This doesn't sounds like you are).

If you are not a christian then does it really matter? It might be nice to have some idea of the events in the Bible because it helps us understand alot of art history and where our traditions come from. I would recommend just reading one of the 4 gospel books - Luke is my favourite. Jesus was quite a political and religious radical, so it actually makes quite entertaining reading.

I have read alot of the bible but none of the Koran or other religious texts. I would love to read a brief summary of them but don't know where I would find such a book or books.

A Tale of Two Cities is wonderful, and also one of his shorter books. A Christmas Carol is also terrific for a small dose of Dickens. I try to re-read it every year at Christmas time. :)

Thanks I'll give those a go :)