Unpopular opinion!

emelee

Unless it's my computer having a funny five minutes, that link seems to lead to a page on IMDB on an article about straight men kissing! :lol:

The link was correct. I just did a quick google on the topic and that came up so I chose it. :D It was only to be a hint on what was taken out from the movie.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't enjoy Dracula - thought it was badly written with boring characters.

I, too, was disappointed with Dracula. The opening sequence in Dracula's castle was easily the best part, but then he spends the most of the novel in a box. Not very threatening at all.

Catcher in the Rye? Poke me in the eye - it's preferable.

Yo, Mac! May I ask why you didn't like Catcher in the Rye?

Okay I thought Of a good one the other day.

I can't stand Stephen King - yawn

What books of King's have you read, Ladymacbeth? I'm just wondering what specifically you can't stand about King.

:( This thread makes me kind of depressed.

I'm with Mac - I wan't find of Cather in the Rye either. I found it very dull and I really didn't get on with Holden Caulfield at all. Perhaps I came to it too late to readily identify, but I suspect I wouldn't have liked it as a teen either.

I'm with Mac - I wan't find of Cather in the Rye either. I found it very dull and I really didn't get on with Holden Caulfield at all. Perhaps I came to it too late to readily identify, but I suspect I wouldn't have liked it as a teen either.

Fair enough, Kell :). I loved the book but I like to hear why others didn't - or why people dislike any book for that matter.

I tried to read Eragon, but felt it read like it was written by a 15-y-o boy with a fantasy fetish. Given that I WAS written by a 15-y-o boy, that shouldn't really be surprising - LOL! I felt the writing lacked maturity (which, again, is fair enough when the author's age is taken into account) but I just couldn't get on with it at all.

I cannot stand The Da Vinci Code - I have tried three times to read it; not because I like Dan Brown's writing (I really don't) but I felt I should at least give something a shot before I totally wrote it off. I read Angels and Demons for what it was - complete tripe, but it was a page turner in the sense that is was so utterly unbelievable that I just had to finish it.

It's the same for me... I read 2 of his books, but really can't stand this author :irked:

I like the subject matter in Brown's books (well in three of them), which is the reason why I read them. However I'm really tired of his formula, when a character discovers something, which leads to something else, and another dozen things after that. It gets old. I would say his newest was my least favorite, but I still loved reading about the history of Washington, DC. I also love the art and symbology aspect, especially in Angels & Demons. Yes, Brown has the research part of writing down pat, but ugh, I wish he'd try a new formula.

The Twilight Saga is quite possibly THE most over-hyped piece of tosh I've ever read. I've said it before and I'll happily say it again - Meyer can't write for toffee. Her characters are wimpish and needy and she has no flair at all for contruction or progression. I really cannot understand why so many people go gaga over them!

I could not agree more! I have NOT read any of the books, but a friend of mine forced me to see the first movie. Those are close to 2 hours I will never get back! So blasé it almost put me to sleep. Going gaga over that piece of crap?! What is wrong with my friends?!?!?! Just cause Robert Pattinson is cute does not mean I want to watch it. The vampire story is just silly. Glittering vampires?!?! Sweet, kind, compassionate vampires? Give me a break! And Bella... What an annoying bore she was.

End of vent. :wink:

Haven't read them either but after watching New Moon, if I had the choice between reading the books and lying on a bed of nails, having water torture and getting my toenails yanked out slowly I'd probably choose the latter. I rolled my eyes so much during the movie that I'm lucky the wind didn't change.

Haven't read them either but after watching New Moon, if I had the choice between reading the books and lying on a bed of nails, having water torture and getting my toenails yanked out slowly I'd probably choose the latter. I rolled my eyes so much during the movie that I'm lucky the wind didn't change.

ROTFALOLTIC! Love it poppy, and all too true!!

:friends3:

I also have to agree on Lord of the Rings. I admit I have NOT read them and most likely never will. I´ve seen the first movie and it was so-so. But there is no way I would willingly read the books. No appeal what so ever.

Also, I don´t think I will ever read any Harry Potter book, although I like the movies. I just feel they make better movies than books. I would not want to read a Harry Potter book, but I own the first 4 movies on DVD. :smile2:

"Shantaram" can't recall the author. self indulgent garbage. I wanted to punch the author in the face

this will be really unpopular: "To Kill a Mockingbird" Harper Lee. loved it in my teens, now in my 30s reading it again I hated it. badly written and predictable.

"Shantaram" can't recall the author. self indulgent garbage. I wanted to punch the author in the face

this will be really unpopular: "To Kill a Mockingbird" Harper Lee. loved it in my teens, now in my 30s reading it again I hated it. badly written and predictable.

I read Shantaram last August and have to say I enjoyed it, yes, he was self indulgent to a large degree, but the story itself was heartbreaking. http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5939-pontalbas-2010-reading-list/page__st__20 A small review I wrote. :) I felt that Gregory David Roberts was working out his, life I suppose you could say, by writing it all down and I enjoyed watching the process. Definitely not everyone's cuppa I know.

LOL!!! You win a cookie for that post.

I haven't read any of the Twilight books and all I've seen of the movies is the part where Edward sparkles in sunlight and that just ruined it for me. I can't for the life of me understand why Meyer thinks a vampire would sparkle in sunlight. If she wanted a character with fangs who did sparkle, she should have invented a new word, not try and defame Lestat, Armand and Dracula. Those are the real vampires. Anne Rice must have joined a demonic cult after the publication of the Twilight series, the Throw-A-Hex-On-Vampire-Defaming-Meyer cult. And don't get me started on how Bram Stoker is rolling over in his grave. He would have risen from the dead to become Nosferatu, but I think after realizing that instead of howling away in terror, fangirls would run towards him, he'd rather rest in limbo forever.

I am with Stephanie on this one. Just can't understand what the appeal is.

I know several people who can't stomach the idea of Fantasy itself. It takes a different taste, I guess. But then again, I also know a few people who love fantasy but can't stand Tolkien.

Hmmm, I guess the unpopular opinion would be to say I enjoyed the Twilight books first time around :P

Books I really didn't like that people rave about -

Pride and Prejudice: I've never understood why people like this book. I disliked all the characters, found them extremely annoying (but I think some people would say that about the Twilight books, so each ot their own :0))

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: I got a 100 pages in and just wasn't gripped enough to continue. I found it extremely boring. I keep meaning to give it another go at some point.

My unpopular opinion is that I loved the Twilight books and I think it is mean to criticise them based on the movies - in particular the shiteous acting of K Stewart and R Patz. At least read the books before you start criticising :giggle2:

Going off topic even further, I think what happens with some of these books fads like Dan Brown and Twilight, where they go viral, is that people read them who would normally have no interest in that type of material. Because they want to see what the fuss is about. Thus they are more likely to dislike them especially if the writing is not A1 quality. I am guilty of this myself.

The latest book I am putting off is "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" which is supposedly New Zealand's favourite book according to votes at one of our popular book shops. I would like to know what is so popular about it but I hate crime books - oh the dilemma. I think I will get around to reading it with an open mind but if I'm not enjoying it will then abandon it.