Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started The Fellowship of the Ring today, finally, have read it years ago in Dutch and got bored, but english is already much better. Translations suck. This is proven by the other book I'm reading at the moment, Stephen King's Drawing of the Three. I have read the first two books in the Dark Tower series in dutch two times, took ages, and couldn't get myself to start the third one. Now, I'm racing through this one because it's in english.. read half the book in a few hours yesterday.

Yes, I'm still really enjoying it. It's getting more philosophical and making me think a whole lot. I find myself reading news items and comparing what society says to Ayn Rand's philosophy. I feel like telling everyone to read it, which is about the highest possible compliment I can give it. :)

That is true. The other day we were talking about some political issues and Kylie was like "you need to read Atlas Shrugged!" She's making it sound really interesting, and I know I'll be ordering the book from play.com the minute I get back to Finland. I also want to get a copy of Fountainhead.

I finished The Streets of Panic Park, one of the latest Goosebumps by RL Stine, always loved them and great fun, a lot of interesting quirks in his work. Now I've read a couple of chapters of Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice this eve, which I purchased last week :-)

Hjalmar Söderberg's "Doctor Glas" -- just gotten started -- is about a doctor who wants to save a woman from her husband and is thinking of murdering him to save her life. Book was written about 100 years ago. Swedish. Pretty good. :)

Edited by emelee

The other day we were talking about some political issues...

We're so intellectual! :cool:

(Yes, I realise I just ruined the effect by bragging about it...)

I'm around the 760-page mark of Atlas Shrugged. Still awesome.

I'm so glad you are still loving Atlas Shrugged, Kylie! I've had it on my wishlist for awhile, and am always on the lookout for a good used copy. I know what you mean about Rand's viewpoint on things and finding more ways it relates to the news. Her objectivist theory is definitely interesting and one to consider.

I'm excited you want to read her stuff too, Frankie! If I could come down there and have intellectual political discussions with you guys, you know I would. Although I have a strange feeling we wouldn't agree on anything Frankie ;)

Now over 200 pages into Vanity Fair, went much faster than the first 100 but still has taken me over 2 weeks, I usually would be on my third book by now.

See, I couldn't really get into it when I started it a while back. It wasn't a bad book, just a little less captivating at that time then I'd thought. usually that means it's best to try later (and when I have more "quiet time" to read, which I don't have atm).. so I put it down for then.

I finished City of Bones by Cassandra Clare and have started the sequel, City of Ashes :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I bought two more books today:

Sherrylin Kenyon ~ Sins of the Night

Bill Hussey ~ Through A Glass, Darkly

.. this takes my total bought this year up to the 100 mark :blush:

Edited by Charm

Had a hard time deciding what to read next, think I've landed on The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows :)

That's definitely a good choice, go for it! :smile2:

I'm excited you want to read her stuff too, Frankie! If I could come down there and have intellectual political discussions with you guys, you know I would. Although I have a strange feeling we wouldn't agree on anything Frankie ;)

Peace, I thought you'd already read the book. I also have a feeling we wouldn't agree on much but I think it would be a very refreshing debate, it gets boring if people agree about everything all the time. Who knows, we might learn something new from each other and our opinions! :)

.. this takes my total bought this year up to the 100 mark :blush:

Wow Charm :lol: I'm in awe! Is this a new record for you? Keep it up missie :cool:

I'm still reading The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, a Rory Gilmore book.

Peace, I thought you'd already read the book. I also have a feeling we wouldn't agree on much but I think it would be a very refreshing debate, it gets boring if people agree about everything all the time. Who knows, we might learn something new from each other and our opinions! :)

I've read Rand's Fountainhead (which I loved) but not Atlas Shrugged. It would be a refreshing debate, I agree. I know some people who can't have intellegent political discussions so I generally steer clear of that topic. I'd have a chat with you though over a cup of Starbucks coffee! ;)

I read a bit more of Tattoo last night and had such a hard time putting it down so I could go to bed. I'm hoping to at least get very close to finishing while I'm on vacation! :D

I've read about 40 pages of Atlas Shrugged and hope to read another 10-20 before the day is out.

I bought a book from the shop at work called Cycling Around Sydney. It contains pretty detailed descriptions of 30 rides around the Sydney area. Something to keep me occupied for a while. :wink:

I am forbidding myself to buy any more books until I've read at least 5 of the ones I already own... or until they increase our employee discount in the bookstore an extra 10% later next month wink.gif

Read some more in The Mermaid's Mirror and am still loving it. :) Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow or Friday.