Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

pontalba, I've also read Too Close to Home by Barclay and it was a 5/5 read for me, Barclay can sure keep the reader in suspense! I have also his No Time for Goodbye on TBR, can't wait to read it :)

peace, I was able to pull myself together before Kylie's arrival so it was all good :D I finished the book and then started reading The Possession of Mr Cave again. Peace, if you can't get over the actors who play the main parts in the tv-series, you can just place their images with the book's characters. Although there won't be no Booth character per se, but there'll be this one other guy you can imagine with Angel's head :D

Charm, I hope Lost Souls picks up soon, you deserve no Lost Mojo again! If Lost Souls doesn't do it, I think Linger should since you enjoyed the previous novel so much :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I hope no damage was done, smilerbabeuk.

How did you find the trilogy? One of these days I'll get around to reading it. :)

I'm making more progress with Atlas Shrugged. 200 pages in now.

Finished The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick (not what I was expecting. Interesting in places, with some good ideas, but mostly bland at the same time).

Next up, Call for the Dead, the first Smiley novel by John le Carré.

Wow, I hope no damage was done, smilerbabeuk.

How did you find the trilogy? One of these days I'll get around to reading it.

Minor damage thankfully, but enough to keep us out the house.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books and was eager to keep reading, but I struggled a bit with the third. Don't know if that's because I was reading it in slightly troubling circumstances, but it did jump around a lot, and it had a couple of minor plot holes that bugged me.

Still, I think its definitely worth reading.

Finished Colin MacInnes' London Novels omnibus last night. Colin MacInnes was either (depending on your point of view) the liberal scion of a wealthy family whose broadmindedness enabled him to mix easily with 1950s London's growing immigrant community and burgeoning teenage movement - or a rich toff who liked slumming it.

Whichever you choose, you could never accuse him of being a great writer. There are some clunking passages of prose here, in which he sets out with ham-fisted plainness his views on the new social movements (generally favourable - they had lots of sex and drugs), and some toe-curling attempts at "hip" dialogue.

But in a strange, archaic, way, these are quite enjoyable stories, especially if you've got a hankering for London's seamier side (and I do ...)

I finished Karen Maitland - Company of Liars last night and it was excellent, even better than The Owl Killers. I started Jo Nesbo - Redbreast this morning and so am liking it.

I finally finished 'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters, I enjoyed it but it was very slow in parts and I am now reading 'Godmother: The Real Cinderella Story' by Caroline Turgeon' :)

It's started out to be a busy week again for me, so my reading's been dismal :(. Tonight is my only free night this week so I'm determined to read loads! Loads I tell you!

:D

You said that like a evil genius! :lol: ~ love it! :)

I received The Woman in Black by Susan Hill in the mail yesterday. I was really hoping to find it at the book fair or in a secondhand bookshop, but it was nowhere to be found so I caved and ordered it online. :)

I'm now about 300 pages into Atlas Shrugged and it's still going really well. I can't wait to see what happens because I'm kind of torn between feeling sympathy for the main characters when I don't feel as though I should be.

I'm now about 300 pages into Atlas Shrugged and it's still going really well. I can't wait to see what happens because I'm kind of torn between feeling sympathy for the main characters when I don't feel as though I should be.

Wow, 300 pages into Atlas Shrugged already! When did that happen?? I bet you got some reading done on the train this morning :cool: I've got a massive urge to go to Dymocks and buy the book and start reading it. Which wouldn't be a good decision seeing that I'm reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay myself, and that's another huge read.

Today's book activities: I haven't done any reading today because I've been a good girl and I've done some stuff for my thesis. But I did update my reads on goodreads and replied to a post on another book forum (yes, I'm book forum polygamist, I can't help it!!) where some girl was asking if anyone would be up to forming a reading group in my own hometown back in Finland. Pretty exciting.

Wow, 300 pages into Atlas Shrugged already! When did that happen?? I bet you got some reading done on the train this morning :cool: I've got a massive urge to go to Dymocks and buy the book and start reading it. Which wouldn't be a good decision seeing that I'm reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay myself, and that's another huge read.

Today's book activities: I haven't done any reading today because I've been a good girl and I've done some stuff for my thesis. But I did update my reads on goodreads and replied to a post on another book forum (yes, I'm book forum polygamist, I can't help it!!) where some girl was asking if anyone would be up to forming a reading group in my own hometown back in Finland. Pretty exciting.

I got a bit of reading. I may have also read a bit at work. :blush:

Remember that my Dymocks store is quite small and may not even have Atlas Shrugged. :( Although if it's in their top 100 books ever as voted by readers, then there might be a chance. We'll have to go check it out. :)

You're on another book forum?! I feel like I've been cheated on! :o:giggle:

I got a bit of reading. I may have also read a bit at work. :blush:

Well no wonder they think you're reading while you should be working, eventhough you would be having a lunch break!! Tut tut missie! :lol:

Remember that my Dymocks store is quite small and may not even have Atlas Shrugged. :( Although if it's in their top 100 books ever as voted by readers, then there might be a chance. We'll have to go check it out. :)

You're on another book forum?! I feel like I've been cheated on! :o:giggle:

Yes, I do remember your Dymocks is smaller and may not have Atlas Shrugged. Which means we have to head on out for some secondhand bookshops :giggle: Otherwise I'll just have to go to Sydney again, and you know what that was like the last time!! Anyhow, I should be quite busy with my Kavalier & Clay for a while so who knows, you might have finished AS by the time I finish K&C and I might just borrow your book.

Well the other forum is just a tiny little Finnish one, and it's not even a real forum, it's not like people interact there that much. It's mostly a place where you have your basic threads on which book one's reading and does anyone like this book or that book. It's very poor and I haven't befriended anyone on there! So there you go. Not cheating. (And I'm not telling you about the third book forum I'm on, which is a better version of the crappy one, and which is a safe haven for Austen fans :giggle:)

I received The Woman in Black by Susan Hill in the mail yesterday. I was really hoping to find it at the book fair or in a secondhand bookshop, but it was nowhere to be found so I caved and ordered it online. :)

Enjoy Kylie. :) It is an excellent story! I've noticed Susan Hill has a new ghost story out called the Small Hand and reading the synopsis it sounds quite creepy. Hmmmmm another one for the TBR pile methinks :smile2:

Just started Elsie and Mairi Go to War by Diane Atkinson (thanks to Pontalba for the nudge :) )

Glad to hear it! I'm still waiting for mine in the mail. Phooey. :wink:

Frankie and I went shopping tonight and we found a shop with really cheap books - all for $3 each!

I bought:

Charles Elton: Mr Toppit

Robert McCrum: Globish

Nick Hornby: Juliet, Naked

PJ O'Rourke: Driving Like Crazy

Simon Winchester: Bomb, Book & Compass

biggrin.gif

Kylie and I went shopping tonight and we found a shop with really cheap books - all for $3 each!

I bought:

The Case of the Imaginary Detective by Karen Joy Fowler

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

:giggle2: