Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

My haul from the library today sonsited of The Glass Books of the dream eaters - G W Dahlquist ( to be honest I was attracted by the front cover) Boris Akunin - He lover of Death and Linda Howard - Veil of Night I also bought myself Jo Nesbo - The Redbreast and I was heavily influenced by the BCF as so many people have been singing his praises. also still reading Company of Liars - Karin Maitland which is excellent.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am re-reading an excellent and hilarious book at the moment, called 'The Amateurs' by John Niven. It is a Scottish comedy based around the game of golf - I don't really know anything about golf, but I still love the book. The characters are wonderful, it's a little bit rude and there's some broad Scottish talk but it's so funny, sexy, violent and completely refreshing.

I read it the first time a few weeks ago and then gave it to someone else for a loan. Only just got it back and felt like reading it again :rolleyes:

~B

Pontalba, you may also be interested in Elsie and Mairi Go To War by Diane Atkinson. I saw a TV programme about Elsie Knocker (honest!) a couple of years ago, and she was an incredibly brave and dedicated nurse. (I also have the book, but it's not found its way to the top of the pile yet). Here's a synopsis from Waterstone's:

http://www.waterston...to+war/6807163/

Thanks to you I've ordered the above...sounds great! Thanks.

Also, we've bought today:

World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler

I Shall Not Want by Julia Spencer-Fleming [recommendation from OH's daughter]

The Man in the Window by K.O. Dahl

I finished Linwood Barclay's Fear the Worst yesterday, another great thriller.

I've got one of this chap's books on my TBR pile - looking forward to reading it, although I've yet to finish the last Dexter book and then I have to read the latest Lee Child novel Worth Dying For, because the last one finished on a cliff hanger. irked.gif

'The Possession Of Mr Cave' was a slow burner for me too, but by the end I was captivated.

That Weave if she wasn't allowed near books she couldn't recommend so many good ones. :P

Hm, I gave up on the book today because I couldn't get into it at all, maybe I should give it another try some day :blush: I started reading An Australian Son by Gordon Matthews, a random buy at the book fair. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I didn't get much reading done on the weekend. :( I'm hoping it'll pick up again this week. I'm really enjoying Atlas Shrugged and I'm about 150 pages in. Only another 920 to go!

I brought home two books with me this weekend! Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs and The Neighbors by Carol Smith. I'm excited to read them! :D

Yay for the Reichs novel!! I knew you'd be getting that book sometime soon but I am glad it's been done already. I hope you get to reading it soon and enjoy it as much as I did :smile2: Happy reading!

I'm still reading An Australian Son and I really like it. I'm happy that Kylie's at work because I've been bawling my eyes out, reading the book, and I don't want her to witness that :giggle2:

I finished Linwood Barclay's Fear the Worst yesterday, another great thriller. I started Matt Haig's The Possession of Mr Cave, it's off to a slow start because I'm having trouble with the narrative.

I have this one and one more [can't remember the title, and too lazy to walk in the other room to check :blush: ] and have heard good things about them.

I haven't had much time to read, company in for the weekend, but did manage a few pages of Cormac McCarthy's Suttree night before last.

Awww Frankie! :friends3: I hope you recovered before Kylie came home! I'm excited for the Reichs novel as well :D. I know it's nothing like the Bones TV show, but I don't think I'll be able to prevent myself from picturing Emily and David as the main characters. Hopefully that won't ruin anything for me!

I've just started reading She (who must be obeyed) by Rider Haggard after finishing King Solomon's Mines (again). I love his books - he writes such ripping yarns with a sense of humour thrown in too. He is really worth rediscovering.

:friends3: :friends3: for catwoman and madcow, I hope your reading mojos improve :)

Edited by Weave

I'm still slowly but surely making my way through Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite, not quite as entertaining or disturbing as I thought it would be, but at least my mojo is hanging in there.:rolleyes:

Two books arrived today from Waterstone's at last

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly

I think Linger will be next to read ;)

pontalba, I've also read Too Close to Home by Barclay and it was a 5/5 read for me, Barclay can sure keep the reader in suspense! I have also his No Time for Goodbye on TBR, can't wait to read it :)

peace, I was able to pull myself together before Kylie's arrival so it was all good :D I finished the book and then started reading The Possession of Mr Cave again. Peace, if you can't get over the actors who play the main parts in the tv-series, you can just place their images with the book's characters. Although there won't be no Booth character per se, but there'll be this one other guy you can imagine with Angel's head :D

Charm, I hope Lost Souls picks up soon, you deserve no Lost Mojo again! If Lost Souls doesn't do it, I think Linger should since you enjoyed the previous novel so much :)