Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I finally finished Vlad last night and I'm now concentrating on The Long Good-Bye by Raymond Chandler.

Frankie and I went to a couple of secondhand bookshops today and I bought:

Gregory Benford: Timescape

Colleen McCullough: The Thorn Birds

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #15: Men at Arms

Tim Winton: Dirt Music

The books were virtually free because I gave the shops a lot of my own books that I no longer want. :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thorn birds is a very good book. I've not been doing much reading the past couple of days. it was my daughter's 6th birthday yesterday and we went to an indoor playarea today,so I've been busy. I'm still reading rapture. it seems ok so far.

You didn't get much time to read but you managed all those books? Wow! You must read so fast, especially since Perdido Street Station is huge. How did you find that, by the way? I'm still plodding along with Vlad, but I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

I do read pretty fast and it was a long plane journey. :D

I enjoyed Perdido Street Station he doesn't make his books easy to read and I guess why should he, they can be pretty gruesome though no that I am desperate for happy endings or anything but he pushes it all the time by making alot of his main characters flawed and not always nice so you end up unsure of them. This is the second one of his I have read set on this world and I have read a couple of his others.

I am currently reading Stephen Hunts - Secrets of the Fire Sea I also got a few books out of the library bit nothing too memorable although I did get a Patricia Cornwell for the car but I remember getting fed up with them as books a long time ago so it might not stay in there.

I'm kind of letting Blood Meridian go to the wayside again...have started The English Patient. Only a few pages, but I like it. I haven't had much chance to read, have been moving more furniture about and sorting stuff to either throw away or give to Goodwill.

I'm now reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and yesterday I picked up these beauties from the charity shop:

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Lorna Doone - R.D. Blackmore

Mary Anne - Daphne Du Maurier

I also must tell you that OH and I released our first five Book Crossing books into the wild in July and heard nothing back, until today when someone registered it! They had been over here on holiday and found Clockwork Orange. They said they weren't much of a reader but gave it a read anyway and have taken it back to Australia for release again! :D Kylie and frankie - keep an eye out! :P

I also must tell you that OH and I released our first five Book Crossing books into the wild in July and heard nothing back, until today when someone registered it! They had been over here on holiday and found Clockwork Orange. They said they weren't much of a reader but gave it a read anyway and have taken it back to Australia for release again! :D Kylie and frankie - keep an eye out! :P

That is awesome. I've kind of given up on BookCrossing as I became disillusioned with it. I released some books in Bath a year (or maybe two?) ago - I put them in sealed bags with a note saying 'free book - see inside cover' on them and left them in various places around the city. I know at least one was found, as I found the wrapping lying in a gutter ( :( ) - but none of them were ever registered as caught.

In fact, I've only every had a couple caught, and they were the ones 'released' in charity shops.

My TBR pile is so high I get altitude sickness trying to scale it - so what do I do? take two books out the library yesterday instead. :irked:

I took out two Rider Haggard books - King Solomon's mine (again - I love this book it makes me feel good) and She.

Oh well, TBR will have to wait a little longer ........

I have just finished Northern Lights by Philip Pullman, the first in the His Dark Materials trilogy. it was fabulous, thank goodness I have the next one ready to start reading straight away!

Oh I am so jealous! I love this trilogy so much, and to be reading it for the first time......Oh yeah:D .

I managed to get a good chunk of reading in this afternoon whilst waiting for Hannah, she was doing a goalkeeping course so I went and sat by Fairhaven Lake (once it stopped raining), and it was lovely :)

I managed to drive around 60 miles today just too-ing and fro-ing floss here there and everywhere!

I read the very short An Eye for an Eye by Malorie Blackman last night. It was a short story from the Noughts & Crosses series and filled in a plot gap that had confused me when I read the other books.

I've also been making progress with The Long Goodbye and have started Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Whispering Witch.

I forgot to mention some very exciting book news that I discovered the other day. Apparently Australia's Discworld convention is being held in my little ol' home town next year and it is expected that Terry Pratchett, barring ill-health, is going to attend! How exciting! biggrin.gif

I forgot to mention some very exciting book news that I discovered the other day. Apparently Australia's Discworld convention is being held in my little ol' home town next year and it is expected that Terry Pratchett, barring ill-health, is going to attend! How exciting! biggrin.gif

That is exciting Kylie :) my one claim to fame, I waved at Terry Pratchett in Waterstones :)

I'm almost finished 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada and I just ordered from amazon/play ~

The Fall by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

House of Echoes by Barbara Erskine

Crave: A Novel of the Fallen angels by J. R. Ward

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks

World War Z by Max Brooks

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (thanks Lexie for the recommendation) :)

I have started the next His Dark Materials book today, and it still has me gripped. I think I put off reading it because I am a Christian and I had heard a lot about how its anti religion. But its not bothering me at all, probably because its so obviously 'fictional' if you get my drift.

I ordered Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite last Saturday from Waterstone's and it has arrived at last! :D

Oooh! I'm going to keep an eye on you Missus, to see what you think of it when you get to it! :cool: I found another Poppy Z. Brite novel last Saturday, called Exquisite Corpse and I already read it. It was gross, disgusting and disturbing. And yet totally fascinating! Had to give it 4/5. I felt like vomiting at one point.

I'm now reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and yesterday I picked up these beauties from the charity shop:

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Lorna Doone - R.D. Blackmore

Mary Anne - Daphne Du Maurier

I hope you like Middlesex, it is an excellent read! :) We'll be looking out for the Clockwork Orange, I wouldn't mind a reread :lol: I hope you get to hear about the trips the other novels are making as well.

Like Kylie already mentioned, we visited a couple of secondhand bookshops last Saturday. I took two books with me to get rid of, and came back with four :blush: I bought the following:

Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

Manhattan Is My Beat by Jeffery Deaver

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

Sybil by Flora Schreiber

I started Exquisite Corpse yesterday and already finished it. Gruesome novel! I've now started reading Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

Oooh! I'm going to keep an eye on you Missus, to see what you think of it when you get to it! :cool: I found another Poppy Z. Brite novel last Saturday, called Exquisite Corpse and I already read it. It was gross, disgusting and disturbing. And yet totally fascinating! Had to give it 4/5. I felt like vomiting at one point.

I started Exquisite Corpse yesterday and already finished it. Gruesome novel!

:o

I'm more intrigued than ever, is that wrong?? :blush: (I don't want to vomit though :huh: )

I got a good bit of reading done yesterday and now have about 1/4 of Shiver to finish.