Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

Continued reading Dragonflight. Now about 100 pages in, and I'm starting to enjoy it. Still not a fan of McCaffrey's language, but the plot is interesting enough to override it and keep my interest.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now reading Are You There, God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume. I never read any Judy Blume as a kid, so I'm trying to rectify that oversight.

Excellent book, Kylie! And good for you on reading more Judy Blume. I read a lot of her back in school and really enjoy her stuff :D.

I'm only about 30 pages into Deja Dead so far, but am like it. It's funny to read the familiar names in print that I normally see on TV.

Finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society yesterday. Enjoyed the book, thought it was cute! Started The Shack tonight, 80 pages in. I like it so far. I'm not religious and up to this point the books religious subject hasn't gotten annoying or anything. I'm curious to see how this turns out :)

Just finished reading Magic under glass by Jaclyn Dolamore. Essentially it's a love story and it had me hooked after the first few pages. I really liked this book even though it ended abruptly - I turned the last page and thought 'what no way you can't end there'. Sure enough with some research there is a second book coming in the next year or so. Overall a good, quick little read and I look forward to see what this author has to offer in the future.

I've discovered a new author named R N Norris who writes detective crime fiction centred around St Petersburg in the late 1800s. Nothing new about that you may say, but he has taken Dostoevsky's investigator, Porfiry Petrovich, and extended his character to this new series of books. So far I have found it works really well. I'm reading the second in the series, A Vengeful Longing, at the moment.

I started Jo Nesbo - Nemesis this morning but I have also bought as christmas presents for small children Olga Da Polga (story about a guinea pig- Pippi Longstocking and Mrs Pepperpot all books I remember as a child that I think the vario9us nieces and nephews should read aswell. I also bought myself J R Ward - Crave (thats definitely an adult book though :D )

Started Mother Leakey and the Bishop by Peter Marshall. The blurb says:

At Halloween 1636 sightings of the ghost of an old woman - "Mother Leakey" - began to be reported in the small English coastal town of Minehead, and a royal commission was sent to investigate. In December 1640, a disgraced Protestant bishop was hanged in Dublin, after being convicted of an "unspeakable" crime.

Peter Marshall's sparkling work of historical investigation uncovers the intriguing links between these two seemingly unconnected events. It is a compelling tale of dark family secrets, sex, scandal, and the supernatural.

Well, the introduction's interesting so far, anyway ....

Received in the post today.....'The Knitting Circle' ~ Ann Hood. It is a bookring via Bookcrossing.

Oh and a visit to the library with my eldest, looking for books for references for an essay for uni.

Our cards are so out of date we aren't on their system anymore and had to renew membership!

Edited by Inver

I am starting on Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. I have heard lots of great things about this book. I hope it lives up to it's reputation.

I've been interested in trying something by Zelazny because I always see loads of his books around. I'll be interested to see if you like this one.

I've read around 100 pages of Truckers and 60 pages of Hard Eight. Both are very enjoyable. :)

I just came home from a little shopping tour, I went to Lifeline's charityshop and found When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr, for only 50c. I've heard about the book and I just had to get it because it was so cheap and seems like a quick read. And I cannot not buy a book with that kind of title.

I also found a secondhand bookstore that Kylie hasn't yet taken me into and I wonder if she knows that it even exists. Anyhow, I bought Augusten Burroughs's Sellevision and The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin, which are both short reads and have been on my wishlist for quite a while.

I'm now gonna take it easy and chillax with a book: The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean. I watched the movie a couple of years ago and found it absolutely brilliant (Meryl Streep and Nicholas Cage starring in it was a definite bonus) and have been trying to find the book ever since. Found it at the book fair, aussome! :smile2:

I'm now gonna take it easy and chillax with a book: The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean. I watched the movie a couple of years ago and found it absolutely brilliant (Meryl Streep and Nicholas Cage starring in it was a definite bonus) and have been trying to find the book ever since. Found it at the book fair, aussome! :smile2:

Aha, Frankie! Was that the film called 'Adaptation?' I loved that one too, and Chris Cooper as always was excellent in it as well. After all, you can't go wrong with a film by Spike Jonze ;)

I just came home from a little shopping tour, I went to Lifeline's charityshop and found When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr, for only 50c. I've heard about the book and I just had to get it because it was so cheap and seems like a quick read. And I cannot not buy a book with that kind of title.

I also found a secondhand bookstore that Kylie hasn't yet taken me into and I wonder if she knows that it even exists. Anyhow, I bought Augusten Burroughs's Sellevision and The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin, which are both short reads and have been on my wishlist for quite a while.

:o Say what? You found a secondhand bookshop in Penrith? No way! How could I not know about this? I want full details when I get home!

I have finished reading Truckers by Terry Pratchett, which was wonderful. I'm now devoting my full attention to Hard Eight.

Aha, Frankie! Was that the film called 'Adaptation?' I loved that one too, and Chris Cooper as always was excellent in it as well. After all, you can't go wrong with a film by Spike Jonze ;)

Yep, Adaptation it is! It was absolutely beautiful. I didn't mean to watch it, but I had the TV on and I glanced at the movie every now and then and then I was just sucked into it and couldn't stop watching. I really need to watch it again sometime. Nicholas Cage was brilliant in it. And Meryl Street as well, of course, but that's a given. :smile2:

Book activities: Details to the new secondhand bookshop and it's whereabouts have been given to Kylie and we're going to go there tomorrow. I hope she likes it :)

:irked: Annoyed as I ordered The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald from Amazon last week. It was despatched on 27 October and delivery estimate was Monday. So far, no book. I have to wait until 15th November for it to arrive and then I can claim refund or replacement by then. I want my book ..... :hissyfit: