Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I finished Karen Maitland - Company of Liars last night and it was excellent, even better than The Owl Killers. I started Jo Nesbo - Redbreast this morning and so am liking it.

I've literally just started Company of Liars, so I'm glad to hear it's good. Hope you enjoy The Redbreast, I thought it was terrific :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a bit more of Fallen by Lauren Kate today at work and am liking it much more now. :) I also got 3 advance reader books from work:

Voice of America by E. C. Osondu

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

The Next Queen of Heaven by Gregory Maguire

Kylie and I went shopping tonight and we found a shop with really cheap books - all for $3 each!

I bought:

The Case of the Imaginary Detective by Karen Joy Fowler

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

:giggle2:

:giggle: Copycat!

Voice of America by E. C. Osondu

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

The Next Queen of Heaven by Gregory Maguire

Ooh, a new Gregory Maguire! What's it about?

Ooh, a new Gregory Maguire! What's it about?

Here's the blurb. It sound really interesting.

Maguire, who made a name for himself with bestselling fantasy books like Wicked, delivers a sharp, funny, and provocative dual coming-of-age story set in 1999 upstate New York, focusing on obnoxious 17-year-old Tabitha Scales, and Jeremy Carr, a musician and director of the local Catholic church choir. Tabitha becomes the caretaker of her devoutly Protestant mother, Leontina, after she takes a nasty bump on the head and transforms into a foul-mouthed, helpless stranger. Jeremy, meanwhile, hopes an upcoming music gig in New York City will give him what it takes to leave Thebes--and former flame Willem Handelaers, now happily married with children--in the past. Jeremy's longing for Willem is heartbreakingly conveyed, as is Tabitha's rushed maturity and yearning for a man she later learns is engaged to a woman in Jeremy's choir. In conversations and their inner lives, Maguire's characters philosophize about faith, religion, acceptance, and desire in a way that never feels forced or preachy, and though cutesy at times, Maguire's humor buoys the darker story lines and keeps this winning story on track. (Oct.)

I am about halfway through Jo Nesbo - Redbreast and I am loving it, I wanted to carry on this morning but the snooze button on the alarm kept reminding me I had to go to work.

Today I bought A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood and Drood by Dan Simmons :D

Is that the same book that the film is based on Noll? Drood looks great too, you'll have to let us know how you find it. I loved the cover!

I read a bit more of Tattoo last night but am kicking myself that I just don't make more time to read :irked:.

I received Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree in the mail last night and I've already read it. I never know whether or not to count these really short books as part of the number of books I've read this year. huh.gif

I gave up reading Fallen by Lauren Kate because her writing was just not very good. The story had potential but it seemed like she was just rambling on for ages trying to fill a word count quota. Tonight I started The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan and it is very good so far, I'm only one chapter in and am loving the story (and the writing). :)

Edited by CaliLily

Making a concerted effort to work my way through all my TBR shelves and library books so that I can move (more or less) permanently onto the iPad for general reading, so currently carrying on with the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore. I picked the first one up a few weeks ago, and I love them, spy/adventure books. Great fun, and I'm currently reading book the fourth book, The Killing. I have two more already from the library waiting.

Edited by chesilbeach

Is that the same book that the film is based on Noll? Drood looks great too, you'll have to let us know how you find it. I loved the cover!

It is indeed the same book - unfortunately it's a movie cover but at least it's the lovely Colin Firth who's plastered all over it :giggle:

Drood is hooge, it's a really chunky book. Probably won't start it for a while but I'll let you know!

I gave up reading Fallen by Lauren Kate because her writing was just not very good. The story had potential but it seemed like she was just rambling on for ages trying to fill a word count quota.

I actually finished Fallen. Amazingly enough. I speed-read the second half, admittedly, but I did finish it. The story had great potential, and it is a shame it's so poorly written. I probably will try to get the second one secondhand or something though.

It is indeed the same book - unfortunately it's a movie cover but at least it's the lovely Colin Firth who's plastered all over it :giggle:

Drood is hooge, it's a really chunky book. Probably won't start it for a while but I'll let you know!

I had no idea that A Single Man was a book first. I'm intrigued! I liked the film for the most part, but there was something about Tom Ford's directing that seemed a little forced. But come on, you get to stare at Colin Firth for 2 hours! Now you can just pull down the book from your shelf and drool ;).

Drood is historical fiction, yeah? The premise sort of reminded me of Matthew Pearl.

I've also done something I said I'd never do . . . brought the first twilight book :D I think I might have been converted :D

I'm so proud of you, Lauraloves! It makes me teary :weeping::P IMO, the writing is mediocre, but it's a very addictive story. Soon you'll be buying the 2nd book I know it!