Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

:o

I'm more intrigued than ever, is that wrong?? :blush: (I don't want to vomit though :huh: )

I got a good bit of reading done yesterday and now have about 1/4 of Shiver to finish.

It is not wrong at all :lol: Not for us who are known to be into some weirdish reads, anyway. If I can fit the book in my suitcase when I'm heading back to Finland, I could mail you the novel :wink:

I finished David Sedaris's Me Talk Pretty One Day today and started reading Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay. I'm expecting it to be a good read. I also went to Basement Books yesterday and came home with Bad Dog's Diary: Blake's Progress and The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell.

Edited by frankie

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through the letterbox today - 'Harvesting the Heart' ~ Jodi Picoult. Thisis a bookring via Bookcrossing, nice surprised as I wasnt' expecting it.

I finished Union Street this afternoon, only took 2 weeks, a major achievement :D although I enjoyed it I found it a bit disjointed and the stories regarding the women didn't quite flow from chapter to chapter. Or maybe it was because I took so long to read it!

Next up I will be giving Vanity Fair a go - wish me luck it may take a while :giggle2:

My friend told me about a gigantic sign he drove by last weekend in someone's front yard which said "Who is John Galt?" I immediately thought of you, Kylie :lol:. I hope you're enjoying AS. I've not read it but have read Fountainhead twice and would count it amoung my faves.

I haven't gotten that far into Tattoo lately, but that's not for lack of trying! It's been a busy week, so I'm taking it along over the weekend so hopefully I'll get more read. Tuesday night I was given 2 Kelley Armstong books from my friend, 'Living with the Dead' and 'Personal Demon.' Very happy! :D

My friend told me about a gigantic sign he drove by last weekend in someone's front yard which said "Who is John Galt?" I immediately thought of you, Kylie :lol:. I hope you're enjoying AS. I've not read it but have read Fountainhead twice and would count it amoung my faves.

Very cool! :cool: I might have to work that phrase into my life in some way (possibly not a gigantic sign in my yard though!)

I'm really enjoying Atlas Shrugged so far. I'm 100 pages in so I guess it has barely started, but it's nothing at all like I thought it would be. I was expecting a very dense and difficult read, but it's trotting along at a nice easy pace at the moment.

Fountainhead is on my wish list. :)

Also, I wonder if anyone here has heard of a book out called Onward Christian Nurses the story of Edith Cavell by Diana Souhami. I saw a review of it, now I can't remember where, but I can't find it listed anywhere. Maybe it hasn't come out yet, but it looks to be fascinating. She was executed by the Nazis in 1915 in Belgium for helping hundreds of wounded British soldiers escape. She was a matron.

Wait, I found the link in my deleted emails.... http://www.literaryreview.co.uk/ridley_10_10.html I just can't seem to find any publication date.

It looks like it was out over here on 30 September. It's been published just as 'Edith Cavell' though. :)

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I had three books arrive from Amazon. I am desperately holding off from buying Terry Pratchett's 'I Shall Wear Midnight', but thought it would be nice to replace the three books that precede this one. Amazon have reprinted them with beautiful covers, very arty and subtle and grown up. I fell in love and bought them. :D So now, I will have to wait for the paperback of 'I Shall Wear Midnight' to be printed in a cover that matches these three.

See? By buying the three I have ensured that I shall wait for the fourth! :cool:

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I had three books arrive from Amazon. I am desperately holding off from buying Terry Pratchett's 'I Shall Wear Midnight', but thought it would be nice to replace the three books that precede this one. Amazon have reprinted them with beautiful covers, very arty and subtle and grown up. I fell in love and bought them. :D So now, I will have to wait for the paperback of 'I Shall Wear Midnight' to be printed in a cover that matches these three.

See? By buying the three I have ensured that I shall wait for the fourth! :cool:

Hmmmmm I am sure there is method to your madness!!! :D

I read a bit more of Karen Maitland - Company of Liars this morning, think I might try to finish it tonight

Zooming thru Under The Eagle by Simon Scarrow. Great Roman adventure. Look forward to the next 7 or 8! Collected Incarceron by Catherine Fisher from the library,tho I actually ordered The Archon! Oh,well,I wanted to read 'em both any way. :readingtwo:

It looks like it was out over here on 30 September. It's been published just as 'Edith Cavell' though. :)

Thanks Janet, I hope it comes out here soon! I'm particularly interested in this particular novel as my grandmother was a Matron during that war, only in France.

Pontalba, you may also be interested in Elsie and Mairi Go To War by Diane Atkinson. I saw a TV programme about Elsie Knocker (honest!) a couple of years ago, and she was an incredibly brave and dedicated nurse. (I also have the book, but it's not found its way to the top of the pile yet). Here's a synopsis from Waterstone's:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/diane+atkinson/elsie+and+mairi+go+to+war/6807163/

I am still reading 'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters, its very slow paced :)

^^ Still the same :)