Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I haven't done much reading yet today but have had some book activity! :D One of the book shops in town was having a closing down sale and the ad in the shop said 'Fill a bag with any books £5'. Naturally I couldn't resist :giggle2: The bag held a whopping 35 books! It was a big bag and there was still room for more but I think I was a bit too embarrassed to put any more in :blush: The books I did get were:

Hard Times by Charles Dickens

Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Dragonsdale by Salamanda Drake

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Sir Thursday by Garth Nix

Talisker by Millar Lau

The Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett

Shards of a Broken Crown by Raymond E Feist

Atherton The House Of Power by Patrick Carman

Viking; Sworn Brother by Tim Severin

Maggie's Curse by Debbie Poole

Plague House by Mary Hooper

Ways To Live by Sally Nicholls

Step V1 Dynasty Tong by Yu Yanshu

The Antique Gift Shop 2 by Lee Eun

The Antique Gift Shop 4 by Lee Eun

The Antique Gift Shop 6 by Lee Eun

The Vampire Plagues by Sebastian Rook

The Druids' Keep by Terry Brooks

The Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick

Soul Eater by Michelle Paver

The Cunning Man by Celia Rees

I See You by Gregg Hurwitz

A Wedding In December by Anita Shreve

Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard

The Diamond Of Drury Lane by Julia Golding

Does My Bum Look Big In This by Arabella Weir

Lover Eternal by J R Ward

Wow Charm, what an excellent day and excellent haul! You shouldn't have been so embarrassed though, you were only helping the store to get rid of all their books. They were closing the shop, weren't they?! I'm particularly thrilled about the bolded books. Not that I myself enjoyed Wuthering Heights so much, but it's a classic and a sort of a must read at some point during one's life.

I have just finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. very interesting book. now which to choose from mount tbr???

Well, if you have any other Waters novels, I would recommend reading them :giggle2:

She may need more than one other suitcase. ;) We haven't even hit all the secondhand bookshops around Sydney yet! I'm planning on spending the day cataloguing and shelving all my new books. Joy! biggrin.gif

Yep I'm a bit terrified about hitting all the bookshops in Sydney... :blush:

I'm reading Dearly Devoted Dexter at the moment, and the next in the series is expected in the post today, along with Dissolution by C. J. Sansom :D You'll have to let me know how you get on with it, pontalba!

I hope you're enjoying our Dear Dexter, Mexicola! I hear Dissolution is a great novel, so loads of great books coming your way :smile2:

My own book activities: Well most of you already know about my book fair affair. I spent a couple of days cataloguing my books, and watching Kylie catalogue her books. You cannot imagine how much fun it is to go through her library, I could spend so many hours there just looking at the shelves and discovering all the great titles she has.

I also finished the fifth Dexter novel last week, it was pure excellence, my favorite Dexter so far! I also started and finished The Sweetheart Season by Karen Joy Fowler and Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers. Both were great reads, although I have to say I preferred Freaky Friday, there were some incredibly hilarious scenes in the book! I also started reading Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own book activities: Well most of you already know about my book fair affair. I spent a couple of days cataloguing my books, and watching Kylie catalogue her books. You cannot imagine how much fun it is to go through her library, I could spend so many hours there just looking at the shelves and discovering all the great titles she has.

You have so many books yourself that I could also (nearly) spend hours looking at them all! :giggle2:

I have to tell you, the fifth Dexter was incredible, there were so many unexpected things. It's now officially my favorite Dexter novel :smile2:

Oh yes, it's a toss up now for me between the 5th and the 2nd which I thought was brilliant!

Awww, sorry to hear you got the time of the appointment mixed up hun :friends0: At least I hope you remembered to go to the hospital the next day. And I hope everything's alright with you.

I did remember, although the appt wasn't for me this time, it was for my son. He wasn't too impressed :blush:

I hope you liked it all the way to the end? One of the most hilarious parts in it was when

Dexter was drugged and felt the love of everything and hooked up with that Samantha girl.

Priceless :haha:

:haha: poor Dexter! He's such a logical bloke that I think that's what made this bit so funny!

Wow Charm, what an excellent day and excellent haul! You shouldn't have been so embarrassed though, you were only helping the store to get rid of all their books. They were closing the shop, weren't they?! I'm particularly thrilled about the bolded books. Not that I myself enjoyed Wuthering Heights so much, but it's a classic and a sort of a must read at some point during one's life.

Thanks! It was worth it I think for those books alone, I've never read them but have always been meaning too, now I've no excuse :blush:

My reading activity has been zilch :irked: .........well, ...unless you include all the new and interesting posts made by frankie about her travels! I've been here an hour already and it's flown by! :lol: frankie hun, you'd make a great author :friends3:

Its Leo DiCaprio and Clare Danes, right? I haven't seen that movie version either and (sadly) It's been years since I've read any of Romeo and Juliet, and even then I only read snippets, never the whole thing cover to cover. :) The movie Letters to Juliet piqued my interest in it again (you MUST see it!!!)

Oooh, thanks! I hadn't even heard of that film ( :blush: ) but I've just read part of the synopsis on Wikipedia (don't want to read it all and spoil it) and it sounds really good - I don't know how I missed it!

I've never read R&J - I know the rough outline of the story (and the ending!) - I'm just over of the way through annotating it now and hope to have it finished by the weekend so I can read it - then I can watch the Luhrmann film and look out for the one you mentioned too! :)

I finished The History of Love by Nicole Krauss this morning - loved it!

You have so many books yourself that I could also (nearly) spend hours looking at them all! :giggle2:

Well, some of them are in Finnish so I think you'd spend less time with mine than I with yours :smile2:

Oh yes, it's a toss up now for me between the 5th and the 2nd which I thought was brilliant!

Oooh, I'm certainly glad to hear you liked it as much as I did! Let's start bombarding Mr Lindsay with letters asking him about the next novel :cool:

I did remember, although the appt wasn't for me this time, it was for my son. He wasn't too impressed

... in which case he could've kept tally of his own doctor's appointments and ask you to drive him to see the doctor on the right date :giggle2:

poor Dexter! He's such a logical bloke that I think that's what made this bit so funny!

Exactly! And it took him an awful long time to realise something's not right. I think the best part in the scene was when he actually reasoned

how the being eaten part is actually loving people

:lol:

My reading activity has been zilch :irked: .........well, ...unless you include all the new and interesting posts made by frankie about her travels! I've been here an hour already and it's flown by! :lol: frankie hun, you'd make a great author :friends3:

:giggle: Well, there'll be days when I won't have time to write on the thread so you'll have time to read books, I promise! Haha that last sentence made me giggle with pleasure :giggle2: Thanks hun!

I'm in bed at the moment, doing a little IRC and pretty soon I'll continue reading Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. Too bad I forgot to pick the next book to read while I was downstairs, I'm too lazy to go back there and I only have a couple of novels up here in my room.

... in which case he could've kept tally of his own doctor's appointments and ask you to drive him to see the doctor on the right date

Oh you're so right! HE should be keeping track of HIS appointments and remind me when he needs to go, after all he's 17! :rolleyes:

I'll tell him you said so :D

Exactly! And it took him an awful long time to realise something's not right. I think the best part in the scene was when he actually reasoned

how the being eaten part is actually loving people

Bhahaha! :haha: I almost choked on my coffee there! Poor Dex and his twisted reasoning, wish I could do it, life would be so much simpler! :lol:

Well, there'll be days when I won't have time to write on the thread so you'll have time to read books, I promise! Haha that last sentence made me giggle with pleasure Thanks hun!

Aw you're so welcome :hug:

Back on topic: :blush:

I'm just back from having to go out with OH and am extremely sore, so for me I'm aiming to try to get some reading done this afternoon ;)

Two new additions to the pile today:

Coppi's Angel by Ugo Riccarelli - ten short stories blending fact and fiction around the lives and careers of legendary sportsmen like Emil Zatopek, Garrincha and, naturally enough, the great cyclist Fausto Coppi.

Vienna by Eva Menasse - "a twentieth century saga following the trials of a half Jewish family living in Austria, England and Canada". In anticipation of my trip in December.

Right I am back from my holidays and although I took books I didn't get that much time to read apart from the 12 hour flight. I did manage, John Conolly - The Whisperers, Kelley Armstrong - Waking the Witch and China Mieville - Perdido street Station I did read most of C C Humphreys - Vlad the last confession but it was a little to much after reading Perdido Street Station to read so I will go back to it later I think

Well, some of them are in Finnish so I think you'd spend less time with mine than I with yours :smile2:

Actually I was just talking about the books you've bought since you've been in Australia. :giggle:

Right I am back from my holidays and although I took books I didn't get that much time to read apart from the 12 hour flight. I did manage, John Conolly - The Whisperers, Kelley Armstrong - Waking the Witch and China Mieville - Perdido street Station I did read most of C C Humphreys - Vlad the last confession but it was a little to much after reading Perdido Street Station to read so I will go back to it later I think

You didn't get much time to read but you managed all those books? Wow! You must read so fast, especially since Perdido Street Station is huge. How did you find that, by the way? I'm still plodding along with Vlad, but I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

I've started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley - so far so good. :D

Loved that one, JudyB! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think :D.

I'm going to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tonight!

Actually I was just talking about the books you've bought since you've been in Australia. :giggle:

!!! I didn't buy that many! :irked:

:giggle:

I read a couple of pages of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull last night in bed. I'm quite enjoying the story and the illustrations but I keep falling asleep while I'm reading it! I might have to try and finish it today, during morning hours.

Read a whole YA book last night - short one for younger readers - called Tag by Michael Coleman. It's about two kids who get in trouble with a graffiti crew.

Anyone else heard of him? According to wiki he's written nearly 100 books but they're not listed.

Anyway Tag was fantastic. I would have adored it when I was a kid, but even now I can appreciate it. Full of twists a kid would probably never see coming, and while I figured two of the main three twists, the third caught me completely by surprise. Couple of the smaller twists also got me, and the book even made me cry!! Absolutely excellent YA read.

So glad I picked it up now, just caught sight of it for €1.50 in my local charity shop and, despite never having heard of it or the author, decided to chance it.

Read a whole YA book last night - short one for younger readers - called Tag by Michael Coleman. It's about two kids who get in trouble with a graffiti crew.

Anyone else heard of him? According to wiki he's written nearly 100 books but they're not listed.

I haven't heard of him, but he has a page on Fantastic Fiction. :)

I finally started The Girl Who Played With Fire today. So much for reading it before the film came out. :lol:

Finished Dissolution by C.J. Sansom today and started [again] Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Not sure if I'll continue. The first time I started it I read 81 pages, and couldn't stand the bleak, bloodiness of it. Well, I picked up where I left off and read about 20 more pages this morning, and don't know whether I'll finish or not.