Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be interested to know what you think of this one Kidsmum. I've read two of Broderick's books now: The Sixth Lamentation and A whispered Name. Both very good books. I like Broderick's style of writing but find it slows up the plot just a tad sometimes as he waxes a bit too lyrical.

Yep I really liked The Sixth Lamentation as well so I'm hoping this one is as good, I hadn't heard of A Whispered Name I'll have to keep my eye out for it on my book buying expeditions :D

The Left Hand Of God is gradually becoming more and more mediocre, so my reading speed has slowed down considerably. Which is a shame, because I thoroughly enjoyed the first 200 pages. Will keep going with it though.

Also started Clockwork Angel, since it's my next read anyway. Only 50 pages in but so far it seems pretty good. Proper graphic-novel/comicbook style fantasy as opposed to this new-fangled teen fantasy. Hard to differentiate - it's mostly the overall effect of the novel.

Oh, I also read the first book (8 comics) of Kick-Ass, a truly awesome comic series/movie.

I haven't done much reading yet today but have had some book activity! :D One of the book shops in town was having a closing down sale and the ad in the shop said 'Fill a bag with any books £5'. Naturally I couldn't resist :giggle2: The bag held a whopping 35 books! It was a big bag and there was still room for more but I think I was a bit too embarrassed to put any more in :blush: The books I did get were:

Hard Times by Charles Dickens

Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Dragonsdale by Salamanda Drake

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Sir Thursday by Garth Nix

Talisker by Millar Lau

The Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett

Shards of a Broken Crown by Raymond E Feist

Atherton The House Of Power by Patrick Carman

Viking; Sworn Brother by Tim Severin

Maggie's Curse by Debbie Poole

Plague House by Mary Hooper

Ways To Live by Sally Nicholls

Step V1 Dynasty Tong by Yu Yanshu

The Antique Gift Shop 2 by Lee Eun

The Antique Gift Shop 4 by Lee Eun

The Antique Gift Shop 6 by Lee Eun

The Vampire Plagues by Sebastian Rook

The Druids' Keep by Terry Brooks

The Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick

Soul Eater by Michelle Paver

The Cunning Man by Celia Rees

I See You by Gregg Hurwitz

A Wedding In December by Anita Shreve

Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard

The Diamond Of Drury Lane by Julia Golding

Does My Bum Look Big In This by Arabella Weir

Lover Eternal by J R Ward

My OH also picked:

Ian Fleming biography by Andrew Lycett

Bravemouth by Pamela Stephenson

The Outer Limits by Stephen Law

Maestro by Bob Woodward

I then had to wait in the car for my OH while he had some errands to do (reading my book of course ;) ) and when he got back to the car he had bought me a bookbag! It's like a medium size filofax but it's a case to carry your book in so it doesn't get damaged and it would fit into a decent sized hand bag. There's also wee compartments inside it for bookmarks etc. I'll post pics in my book thread. I felt so special today! :D

I haven't done much reading yet today but have had some book activity! :D One of the book shops in town was having a closing down sale and the ad in the shop said 'Fill a bag with any books £5'. Naturally I couldn't resist :giggle2: The bag held a whopping 35 books!

Wow, that's amazing! Lucky you. :)

I can't wait to see the book Filofax thingy! :D

Read more of The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. Enjoying it so far!

Also, went book shopping today to spend my birthday giftcards and bought: Mystic River by Dennis Lehane, Still Alice by Lisa Genova, Some Great Thing by Lawrence Hill and Teach Yourself Complete German book + cds kit. Now I'm looking for a good french book to brush up on my french :)

Yep I really liked The Sixth Lamentation as well so I'm hoping this one is as good, I hadn't heard of A Whispered Name I'll have to keep my eye out for it on my book buying expeditions :D

Actually I finished A Whispered Name just a week ago and have to say it is one of the most haunting books I've read. It tackles that most poignant of subjects, The First World War and the matter of desertion. It was well plotted and extremely harrowing in parts. I preferred it to Sixth Lamentation. Unfortunately, my copy was a library book - otherwise I would have sent it on to you.

I forgot my book at home and didn't end up reading any yesterday. :( *stuffs book into purse*

I did buy two new books though... :) Both are actually 3 books in one so *technically* I guess I bought 6 books. The first is Nora Roberts' Irish Born series and the second is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I finished two books this week. I feel proud of myself for my little achievement given how little reading I've been getting around to lately.

1. The Adventures of sherlock Holmes

2. Treasure Island

Enjoyed both. I'm starting Charlotte Bronte's Villette now.

Good combinations! I have that Sansom trilogy here on the shelf, and I keep reading posters have loved it, I have to get to it!!

Yes, you must! the two I've read so far have been fantastic :D

I'm currently half way through Jo Nesbo's The Devil's Star which is, unsurprisingly, brilliant :cool:

No reading mojo what so ever

I started the first Dexter book last week and haven't even finished it yet. Didn't read the whole week so far. Dexter destroyed my mojo, this book is so boring :sleeping-smiley-009

:o Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry you're not enjoying Dex, you're the first person I've ever seen describe him as boring! Aw I hope your mojo returns quick smart! :hug:

I managed to read a couple of chapters today but that's about it.

I finished Jodi Picoult's Picture Perfect today, what can I say but another great read from her. Even though my mojo has all but deserted me I still mananged to finish a whole book in less than 2 months!

Can't decide what to read next so I'm going to flip between 2:

The Legacy by Katherine Webb &

Union Street by Pat Barker

Oh shucks - is it Sept or Oct the reading circle book is Vanity fair? I could always try that one.

Edited by madcow

Just finished reading Blind Fury - Lynda La Plante another good book from her.

I picked up The Burning Wire - Jeffery Deaver from the library so that's next, I've always enjoyed the Lincoln Rhymes novels so hope this doesn't disappoint. :)

I finished Jodi Picoult's Picture Perfect today, what can I say but another great read from her. Even though my mojo has all but deserted me I still mananged to finish a whole book in less than 2 months!

Can't decide what to read next so I'm going to flip between 2:

The Legacy by Katherine Webb &

Union Street by Pat Barker

Oh shucks - is it Sept or Oct the reading circle book is Vanity fair? I could always try that one.

I vote for Union Street! I once saw a film called Stanley and Iris, which was apparently based on that book, and I've always meant to read it but never got round to it. So you can tell me if it's any good :)

Vanity Fair is for October. :)

I've spent the last couple of days at the book fair having loads of fun and taking pics of Frankie buying books. :) I'll post all my books in my reading thread soon.

I've barely done any reading in the last week or two, but I managed almost a whole chapter of Vlad today.