Maximum Ride by James Patterson

Maximum Ride

Maximum Ride was written by James Patterson...

The first book is called 'Maximum Ride - The Angel Experiment' (which I have read).

The second book is called 'Maximum Ride - School's Out Forever).

I enjoyed the first book, it is a great story with fantastic characters and I am looking forward to reading the second book.

:018:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Weeeeee. What a ride.

I just finished picking up and reading Maximum Ride, the Angel Experiment last weekend and read it zoom-quick. It was so much fun. Looks like I'll need to get School's Out next.

I read Ender's Shadow many years ago and it has the idea of genetically messing with children and it's consequences. In it, Bean (like Max) escaped from the lab very young.

What I like about Maximum Ride at this moment is that their powers are evolving and they discover new ones, there is fear and peril in that they might simply reach then end of some cycle and die and, finally - they are kids on the run who can make it on their own against all the odds.

I was so glad for Max to meet the kind doctor and her daughter and to eat home-made chocolate chip cookies made from scratch. Then to see Max sort of transfer that good experience to cookies later in the book. I think ALL books that have a hero on the run from a Large Organization should (and almost always do) find some brief respite with a neutral kind figure; be it a hermit in a cave, a loner in a cabin, a blind guy or gal in the city - it happens a lot in books and it's my favorite part because our guy gets to rest and realize he's not universally despised or hunted and that there may be some good in the world*.

*longest run on sentence ever.

Couldn't resist -- saw Maximum Ride - School's Out today in the bookstore. Bought and read it in one sitting (a mere 400 pages).

It's a great series if you like quick action packed reading. The chapters are super short, sometimes only two pages; so it's designed for a fast pace.

I dunno if the next one is out, but when it arrives or if it's out already it'll go to the top of my TBR pile!

Zoom!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone here love the Maximum Ride Series? James Patterson elegant and thrilling writng is fast paced and full of cool action. His characters-Max, Fang, Iggy, Angel, Gasman and Total are brilliant and the plots are full of twists!

I would recommend these to anyone!

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

Hi Christie, I read the first two book in the series, Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment' and 'Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever', I really enjoyed them, plus I read on wikipedia, there might be a film based on the books :readingtwo:

From wikipedia ~

Film adaptation

In January 2007, it was announced that a film would be created based on the Maximum Ride series. James Patterson will executive produce. Avi Arad, one of the producers of Spider-Man, X-Men and other Marvel movies, will also produce alongside Steven Paul. In an interview with James Patterson, it was revealed that Arad has already planned out the first two movies. On August 7, 2008, it was announced that Columbia Pictures bought the screen rights to the franchise. Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight) is in talks to direct the movie, with Don Payne writing the script. The movie is scheduled for a 2010 release date.

I know! I can't wait! I hope it is as good as the book! I wonder who would play each of the characters? That would be an interesting decision to make!

I read somewhere that Kristen Stewart was to play Max but its not confirmed :readingtwo:

• 2 weeks later...

I just started reading The Angel Experiment tonight and the way all of you talk about it sounds amazing. I already thought it would be good but now im going to have to read it quickly to get into the action.

I will repost once I'm done with the book to add to the discussion some more

Edited by jte8944

I started to read it, but then put it down.

I don't know why...

My sister told me to read it as she thought it was amazing, she finished all of them so it must have been good. I liked the small chapters, and the way it was written, and a really good plot! My favourite people were:

Fang

Gazzy

Angel

Izzy

and Max

I liked Nudge but she wasn't my favourite person!

I really liked it though and I might pick it up again, don't know... :friends0:

• 1 month later...

The first book was good, but after there the plot (and everything else) deteriorates... The fourth book is pretty much a glorified lecture on global warming, punctuated by increasingly improbable (and unexplained) superpowers.

• 4 weeks later...

I read this and it was surprisingly good!! I only picked it up in a chairty shop as it was cheap and it was by patterson. This is not my type of book at all. At first I was slightly confused I thought Max was a boy but by the first 40 pages I realised SHE wasn't haha. I too also liked the fast pace. The chapters were a little too short for me, well over a hundred in all. But I grew to like it especially with the Sunday roast in the oven.

The book for me started when the gang split up. Max's 'story of meeting the girl and her mother was the first thing that got me into the book from then on I was able to engage the other characters and the story.

The book had many twists and turns and the ending was ready for the next book.

If you like fast paced books and do not need a book to be engulfed in descriptive detail then I would say you would like this book.

I never read young adult books I have not even read Harry Potter but with 460+ pages and a different story it really did keep me reading.

.... and it might get me thinking about reading Harry Potter at some point! :motz:

Look forward to finding and reading Maximum Ride - School's out.

• 1 year later...

13152.jpgAddition: Audiobook

Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:

In James Patterson's blockbuster series, fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel, the youngest member of the flock, is kidnapped and taken back to the "School" where she and the others were experimented on by a crew of wack jobs. Her friends brave a journey to blazing hot Death Valley, CA, to save Angel, but soon enough, they find themselves in yet another nightmare--this one involving fighting off the half-human, half-wolf "Erasers" in New York City. Whether in the treetops of Central Park or in the bowels of the Manhattan subway system, Max and her adopted family take the ride of their lives. Along the way Max discovers from her old friend and father-figure Jeb--now her betrayed and greatest enemy--that her purpose is save the world--but can she?

This is the first James Patterson book I have read, and I really enjoyed it. I listened to it - and did not want to turn it off or for it to finish. The story follows Max, a girl who has the ability to fly. They have to lie-low as they are being chased by the Erasers - a group of people who want to see the end of the flying children. However, Max and her gang get caught hiding in a tree, and Angel, the youngest is taken. Now Max has to keep calm and rescue her. But what she uncovers on the way is shocking.

This book is full of imagination, adventure and excitement. I found the chases and the flying the best bit. I liked how Patterson used the time in the sky for the characters to sort their minds out - and sometimes the views were great to read about. Along with the ability to fly, they can also run exceptionally fast. One scene that stays with me is where Max takes on a couple of men who are attacking a girl. Because she can move much quicker than anyone else, she leads the men away from the girl - saving her. Max gets wounded but the girl and her mother are more than happy to look after her because of what she did, and a friendship is formed.

Max is like that through a lot of the book - caring, reckless and a great friend. I think that is why I liked her so much. She looks after Angel, who is only six, and when she is taken she does everything she can to rescue her. She is sensible and clever, and works so well in her gang. She lets everyone use their abilities the best they can and she was a delight to read.

This is a young adult book, although I really enjoyed it. This is the first in the series, and I hope to read them all. The story is exciting and fast-paced and I thoroughly recommend it.

<br mce_bogus="1">