Looking for novels on Native American Indians

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie is great and delves into modern Native American culture.

Black Elk Speaks is also a must-read. It's translated from the Lakota language by Black Elk's son and told to John Neihardt.

Little Big Man by Thomas Berger is supposed to be brilliant. I've not read it myself, but I've heard great things from others and fully intend to read it at some point in the not too distant future, as I loved the film when I saw it years ago.

One of my favorite subjects also as I delve into my family history! For some fictional reading I would also suggest Louise Eldrich. She wrote such books as Plague of Doves, The Painted Drum and Love Medicine to name a few. Excellent books! Also, you can't go wrong with Sherman Alexie! My favorite of his is The Absolutely True Tales of a Part-time Indian! This book makes you laugh out loud and ache with pain. Highly recommend it!

Little Big Man by Thomas Berger is supposed to be brilliant. I've not read it myself, but I've heard great things from others and fully intend to read it at some point in the not too distant future, as I loved the film when I saw it years ago.

Definitely ^ Its a fantastic story with one of the best characters ever, Jack Crabb :)

• 1 year later...