Kindle advert

ian

Am I just a technophobic middle aged Victor Meldrew, or is anyone else seriously annoyed at the Kindle advert on TV? It shows a woman reading at a riverside. Why is that supposed to entice me to buy one of these things - at £100 ish? Can I not already just read an ordinary book at the riverside? It doesn't cost me £100 plus, I don't have to worry about the batteries going flat, or dropping it in the river!

Please tell me I'm not alone!

Ian

Kindle's outdoor advert is meant to emphasize that the e-ink it employs in it's device is eminently readable in bright sunlight - unlike backlit computer screens which are not. Much easier on the eyes than book ink, as well, outdoors.

I am still in between about getting a kindle, I have a lot of books waiting to be read, maybe I should work on them for the time being :giggle:

Am I just a technophobic middle aged Victor Meldrew, or is anyone else seriously annoyed at the Kindle advert on TV? It shows a woman reading at a riverside. Why is that supposed to entice me to buy one of these things - at £100 ish? Can I not already just read an ordinary book at the riverside? It doesn't cost me £100 plus, I don't have to worry about the batteries going flat, or dropping it in the river!

Please tell me I'm not alone!

Ian

Umm ... so if you dropped a paper book in the river, Ian?!! :(

I do see what you mean, though. :)

I have an android phone and recently got the Kindle app. Brilliant! I can download my favorite books, fiction, non fiction, whatever and read them on my phone. I love it. It works the same as Kindle, with the whyspersinc, but you don't need a Kindle. I am reading Elizabeth Gaskell's Mary Barton this week, having read 'Wives and Daughters' last week. These are available free, but I have also bought patterns and other smaller bits and pieces. Because I already have an Amazon account, I just buy or order with one click! It's great. I also have a sony reader, but the phone is more convenient because you have it with you all the time!!

Oh well, just me them!

Yes, I knew I was laying myself open with the river comment, but hey - I'd rather drop a £8 paperback in the river than a £100 kindle.

Anyway, back to my low-tech life. Where did I leave my quill & parchment scroll!

Ian :doh:

I can't imagine using a Kindle, I love books and the feel of books and the piles of them on my bookcases and dotted around the house, being able to lend and borrow them too. Could be a good way of getting the next generation(s) to read though especially as a Kindle doesn't have the attraction of games to distract like downloading onto an iPod.

For me, the kindle won't replace books. If there is a book I REALLY want, I'd buy it in book form; nothing beats owning a book and having it on your book shelf to look over and see what you've read!

Having a kindle is somewhat like borrowing from the library, except you kind of feel like you semi-own the book! It's convenient, and you can read other stuff on it, also. Like journal articles, etc.

I'm not a big Kindle fan but I can see how people are drawn to it. My problem is the cost. The Kindle costs money and the books you download cost more than I spend on paper books. I love books but I hate paying over $8 for them and tend to find some really good sales and so I very rarely pay the retail price. So I'd reconsider a Kindle if downloading books cost less than paper (for me that is because I know it is cheaper to download vs the retail price).

I completely understand how great these ebooks are - my mum has one and takes it everywhere - but I'm one of those guys who can't substitute the weight, the touch and the smell of a book for one thing...and I'd miss the comfort of all the books I have on my shelves! biggrin.gif

My Mam has one of the Sony e-Readers and only uses it when she's at work or on holiday - saves her carting half her library around with her - LOL! At home she still prefers to read an actual book.

I like the look of the revamped Kindle- it looks more like the Sony now, instead of the plastic brick they originally produced. :lol:

I'm not a big Kindle fan but I can see how people are drawn to it. My problem is the cost. The Kindle costs money and the books you download cost more than I spend on paper books. I love books but I hate paying over $8 for them and tend to find some really good sales and so I very rarely pay the retail price. So I'd reconsider a Kindle if downloading books cost less than paper (for me that is because I know it is cheaper to download vs the retail price).

My mum is interested in getting one, so we were looking at them yesterday. Amazon.co.uk has some really good prices on best sellers at the moment- as long as that lasts, it's looking more attractive.

Blimey Ian! Look what you've gone and started! The e-book/paper book debate creates quite an uproar on or offline! :lol:

By the way - you're not alone, my fellow middle aged old Grump, for I'm of very mixed feelings about the question, myself.

As has been stated here - e-books are wonderful for transporting loads of books with you in a handy form, or for me the attraction is that I can store loads of my favourite authors at home without taking up half the livingroom with gradually ageing paper copies. An e-book copy will stay "fresh" forever!

But I'd miss the comfort of an actual book in my hands, particularly something I've loved for years, with it's own unique "feel" to it. So - I'll do a balancing act, and have both in my life. :D

P.S. Keep going with that quill and parchment, Ian - we are where we've grown from, and the old ways should be respected, too.

My mum is interested in getting one, so we were looking at them yesterday. Amazon.co.uk has some really good prices on best sellers at the moment- as long as that lasts, it's looking more attractive.

Hi Michelle...if you haven't already you might like to consider my earlier post (8). It really is easy and you don't have the expense of the Kindle, but you have to have the right kind of mobile device to support the app. However, more and more folk will be buying android phones, so worth consideration.

I've just had a THOUGHT (hold the presses, out there!)

Could we class e-books as supportive of the environment? They don't use paper, after all. Our dwindling tree species must be heaving a sigh of relief, worldwide.

Blimey Ian! Look what you've gone and started! The e-book/paper book debate creates quite an uproar on or offline! :lol:

Oh this is nothing. You should have seen the the uproar I caused on a different forum for meekly suggesting that actually I quite liked energy saving lightbulbs!

Ian

I'm with you on this Ian. Nothing can substitue the feel of a good book between your hands. Plus, I like other people to see what I'm reading... it can be a great conversation starter sometimes.

I do however like how compact these eBook readers are. A lot of the books I have are quite large and cumbersome and can be a pain to lug around.

I've just had a THOUGHT (hold the presses, out there!)

Could we class e-books as supportive of the environment? They don't use paper, after all. Our dwindling tree species must be heaving a sigh of relief, worldwide.

Except most paper is made from trees in specially planted and maintained plantations of woodland not just any old trees

• 3 weeks later...

Good point, Vladd.

Still - what's wrong with having a few more trees around (wherever they are)to just breathe oxygen around this human-being polluted world of ours? Not to mention giving countless species of creatures a home. Hopefully, as the situation resolves itself into paper book and e-book balance, some of these areas will be left alone to just live ... and benefit all of us, too.

By the way - wot's so terrible about energy-saving lightbulbs, anyway? They're in every light in my home ... saving me loads of wonga! :lol: