John Irving

runner

A few weeks ago I was in the doldrums over what to read next, bored with the same old..same old...but that has all changed!! :rolleyes: I started reading yesterday A Widow for One Year by John Irving, and I cannot leave it down I am now half way through...this is the first Irving I have read...where has he been all my life..or where have I been that I have failed to notice his books and writing style. This is fantastic, emotional, erotic, humorous, horrific, sad, happy...need I go on story telling at it's best....and I am devouring it So what next? What John Irving can you recommend...I plan to go into Waterstones this week as his books are on a 3 for 2 (and I also have a voucher)...what should I read next...what will keep my mojo happy :giggle2:

My suggestion would be A Prayer For Owen Meany or The World According to Garp. You can't go wrong with either one. :)

I wouldn't suggest The Cider House Rules. I know it is considered one of his better novels, but this is one by Irving I couldn't even finish. It was overly descriptive and lacked sympathetic characters.

A second vote for A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I did like Cider House Rules, but it does deal with the subject of abortion pretty graphically. I've also read The Hotel New Hampshire which was pretty good, but very out there on the quirkiness scale.

I listened to Widow for One Year, and that was definitely one that made me want to go back to doing my work so that I could continue listening to what was going to happen next!

I recently finished A Widow For One Year, thanks to an excellent recommendation from Pontalba. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking out for another of his books too.

http://www.bookclubf...post__p__220472

Another one that's on my TBR pile, good to hear it was worth the 50p I shelled out for it :)

A few weeks ago I was in the doldrums over what to read next, bored with the same old..same old...but that has all changed!! :rolleyes: I started reading yesterday A Widow for One Year by John Irving, and I cannot leave it down I am now half way through...this is the first Irving I have read...where has he been all my life..or where have I been that I have failed to notice his books and writing style. This is fantastic, emotional, erotic, humorous, horrific, sad, happy...need I go on story telling at it's best....and I am devouring it So what next? What John Irving can you recommend...I plan to go into Waterstones this week as his books are on a 3 for 2 (and I also have a voucher)...what should I read next...what will keep my mojo happy :giggle2:

Yays! I'm so pleased to hear that you are enjoying it as much as I did. :D

I recently finished A Widow For One Year, thanks to an excellent recommendation from Pontalba. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking out for another of his books too.

http://www.bookclubf...post__p__220472

poppy, you've made my day! :friends0:

I recently read "Last Night in Twisted River" - my first book written by Irving. I would definitely read other books of this author.

We just bought that one the other day. Great! :)

I'm reading The World According To Garp now. There's something compulsive about his books, once you start, you can't put them down.

/groan/ I have it on the shelf...must get back to Irving! :readingtwo:

• 2 months later...

I've never tried John Irving myself and to be honest, I've never even felt curious about his novels. Sure, I've seen some as movies, and they're okayish, but to me it seems that all his novels are extremely lengthy and it would take some serious recommending by one of my bookish friends who I know has an excellent taste to actually try one of his novels.

• 2 weeks later...

I have nearly read all of John Irving's books, and I love them all except for a couple. My favorites are, 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' and 'a widow for one year'. His latest books have not been as good in my view, but I'm hopeful on 'last night in twisted river' which I have yet to read; It's sitting on my self waiting for me. The world according to Garp is another favorite, but this book seem so old now, and I read it so long ago, but it did give me a good username.

• 2 months later...

I haven't noticed this topic until just now. :blush: I've only read two novels by Irving - The Cider House Rules and The World According to Garp - but I must say I count him amongst my favourite authors; The Cider House Rules especially is one of the most exceptional books I've ever read. I admire the way he writes about sensitive and difficult issues. I'm looking forward to reading his latest novel as soon as I have a chance.

• 11 months later...

The World According To Garp came highly recommended to me, around a decade back - and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Reading this thread has made me want to revisit it - hopefully I've grown since then, and can like it better!

Another vote for Owen Meany -- also one of my all time favorites. Irving has an edge to his writing.Some of his books are a little TOO much on edge for my taste .Very graphic and detailed ,some highly personal subject matter,so most are hard for me to get through. Owen was absolutely perfect in every way.

Hotel New Hampshire would be a second, but not nearly the caliber of Owen . I haven't even attempted any of his newer ones ,so not sure how they'd be . Maybe I should give one a try .

For those who like Irving, try Richard Russo. He reminds me a lot of the way Irving writes. My favorite of his is The Risk Pool, which is one of his older books. I also liked Nobody's Fool.

• 4 years later...

I've never tried John Irving myself and to be honest, I've never even felt curious about his novels. Sure, I've seen some as movies, and they're okayish, but to me it seems that all his novels are extremely lengthy and it would take some serious recommending by one of my bookish friends who I know has an excellent taste to actually try one of his novels.

I've tried The Water-Method Man since, and I couldn't get into it... Has anyone read it? 

My boss is a big fan of John Irving and she's convinced me to try his books. I can't remember which one she recommended, I've written it down somewhere but I can't find the piece of paper. However, I'm really liking the sound of his latest novel and I have reserved a copy from the library :) Has anyone read it yet? 

• 3 weeks later...

I read 'Garp' years ago and have to say it left me totally underwhelmed!

Many of my friends loved it, so it was obviously a matter of taste!

Not that I've read any of Irving's books myself, but my boss has said that Garp isn't his best novel. Do you think you'd like to try some other one? 

I have so many new authors to check out, plus new works from

favourite authors appearing all the time, I honestly don't think I

can be bothered to try again! One book,whilst not a true guide,

generally gives a flavour of the writer,and Garp failed for me, so

no. I appreciate your thinking though,and were I much younger

I would probably give him another try!