Ceri Norman

Booknutt

I've just come across this new author, who has brought out "Celtic Maidens" (her first book) a Barbara Erskine-ish novel of past and present lives, with a touch of romance, and threat - courtesy of a crazed murderer who follows the lovers of the story through time, to terrorise them in the modern world!

Sounds like good stuff! :D

Anyone :readingtwo: ing it? What do you think?

• 4 months later...

Well! Don't kill me in the rush, will y'all? :D

So ... in my own humble opinion, this is one of the most interesting "reads" I've picked up in a while.

I love it's feisty heroine (plus her occasional rather expressive language!) and the way the author gives us an insight into the nature of her characters. There is also a real sense of threat around, when the local community is influenced by a resurrection of past evils, nicely lightened though, when a pair of geriatric twins come to fisticuffs.

Also - a couple of places where the lovely expressive language held me in the moment, and I went back to re-read all over again - several times.

Ceri has given us a refreshing, interesting first novel here - and I'm on her team, and hoping for a soon-to-follow second book.

If you don't want to commit actual cash - what about requesting it in your local Library?

• 3 months later...

I hadn't noticed this thread before Booknutt. I may have just downloaded this to my kindle ~ well, it's been a long week, and it looks good and I love Wales, and it's Friday, and chocolate is fattening, and the reviews are good, and well........you know how it goes sometimes. :D

When it will be read is an entireky different story! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi Chrissy -

Sorry about the delay in replying - for some reason I wasn't notified about your response, and I've been keen to discuss this book with another living soul!

Have you had a chance to get to it? By the way - I accompanied my "read" with a bar of chocolate!

What the heck - that's why "indulgences" are so-called. :D

If you haven't :readingtwo: it yet, it'd be a good 'un to take on summer holiday. Yes?

• 11 months later...

Carrying on with the Ceri Norman chat - her next novel "Serpents Mound" is due out tomorrow!

I've got it on order and am awaiting the postie's tread every morning, as usually they come bit earlier from online sources.

If it's half as good as her first - "Celtic Maidens" - it'll be well worth a bar of wholenut chocolate to add to the enjoyment.

Anyone planning to get it? (or Celtic Maidens)? and - what kind of chocolate do you choose?

• 4 weeks later...

Have been a bit late starting "Serpent's Mound" and presently am only a few chapters in - but I'm hooked, already!

A combination of mystical atmosphere varied with robust-everydayness (e.g. the colourful language of her characters! :D ) is becoming a trademark of this talented lady, and I love it. The one offsets the other beautifully, bringing a burst of humour to the story.

If you liked "Celtic Maidens" (her first novel) you'll surely like this. It'd be a great "read" for those lazy holiday hours.

Anyone got any thoughts on either novel?

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder should I read this author? Because I heard a lot of very controvesial things about him... :smile:

Go on Bobby - be a devil! :smile:

Ceri is a great author, and after all that's all any "bookworm" cares about.You might find you like her novels, regardless of what you've heard about her.

Come back and let us know what you think, won't you?

• 4 months later...

Are you out there, Bobby? Had a chance to read Ceri yet?

Or has your TBR pile gained loads more books since Christmas? :readingtwo: :readingtwo: :smile:

I'm pleased to say a friend of mine new to C.N. was delighted with "Celtic Maidens" and is going to request her 2nd, "Serpent's Mound" at her local Library. Ceri's lively style is suiting more and more new fans, and is part of what I like about her books.

Anyone else had a chance to give her work a try yet?

A Happy Year's :readingtwo: to All.

• 4 years later...

Body of Water is Ceri's first detective novel, and I really got right into it. Her usual wicked sense of humour is firmly present too, lifting the murder case being investigated.

Let's hope it's only the first of many more from this gifted lady ... I'm getting into crime at last!