Book I read as a child

Hi, I really hope someone can help me!!

I remember reading a book as a child (it would have been at some point in the 90's) and I have no idea what it was called or who it was by, but I remember loving it and would like to track it down for my children.... when I have them lol.

Anyway, the story goes...

The main character is a young girl who goes to say with her Grandmother (I think it's her Grandmother) who lives in this big victorian house. I have a feeling she went to stay with granny because she has some sort of injury, maybe a broken leg?? Anyway, while exploring the house she goes in to a room that used to be a nursery and finds a cupboard that has children's measuring marks on the inside. Something happens and the girl swaps places with a victorian girl who lived in house hundreds of years ago. Turns out a set of the measuring marks belonged to this victorian girl...

The details are a little hazy after that, but it was really good!

Please help :)

Jucy_Culps xxxxxx

It sounds a bit like Jessamy by Barbara Sleigh.

I love these children's 'time slip' novels - this one sounds good but it says it's out of print, and on Amazon it seems to go for about £12 a book.

I found a list of other time slip books here. :)

ETA: I found more about this on someone's blog - it definitely sounds like the book.

Edited by Janet

No problem - I'm glad to have helped for once! :)

Have you read any other books of this genre? Tom's Midnight Garden is a good one. One of my all-time favourite childhood reads is The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (filmed as The Amazing Mr Blunden), which I was lucky enough to find second-hand as it's been out of print for years. Good luck finding this one. :)

ETA: Got a synopsis for yours, Lovely-Chrissy™? :lol:

Edited by Janet

Tom's Midnight Garden!

I had completely forgotten about this! It's the story with the clock that strikes 13 right? Wow,I am loving this nostalgia!

I think these are the only two books in the genre that I have read, I haven't heard of The Ghosts but I will check it out for sure.

Chrissy, Have you thought of what yours was yet? xx