Jacqueline Wilson

Darren Thomas

• 5 weeks later...

I never really liked Jacqueline Wilson books until I was given Kiss for my birthday I really liked this book it was among one of the first books I ever read and one of my friends actually found the book helpful, its not one of her most famous but if you havnt read it I think you should check it out. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I think JW's best book is one that's not necessarily amongst her best known. It's called Vicky Angel and is about one girl's struggle to deal with her grief after losing her best friend in a car accident. It deals with some really complex human emotions, but in a manner that children can read, understand and enjoy, without it seeming heavy-handed or frightening. The idea that we build up people's positive attributes after their deaths and try to forget their negatives is tackled, as is the need to force yourself to move on at times, rather than allowing your grief to drag you down. It's an amazing feat for an author to be able to attempt a subject like that and yet still produce a book that is written at a child's level and in an entertaining style. Definitely worth a read.

I have similar feelings towards JW's The Suitcase Kid, about a child dealing with her parents divorcing. Again, deals with some very adult themes but very comprehensible for children.

Completely agree, in fact not only is she not scared to tackle them it's like her mission in life is to give all children a reference point whatever they are experiencing. She seems to be working her way through all possible issues that a child could go through!

Absolutely. She has definitely inspired my own writing, that's for sure! It's amazing how well she gets into the mind of a child; when I was working in my most recent TA job, most of the girls in the class were reading her books and would talk about how they felt she "knew about how we feel," which is an incredible skill to have.

I used to love Jacqueline Wilson, Vicky Angel and Lola Rose were two of my favourites - I also remember loving 'The Illustrated Mum'.

I completely agree that the fact most young people love her books is because she deals with difficult real life issues but still manages to make the books comforting and light-hearted.

I also loved the TV series they made from 'Girls in Love' :lol:

• 3 months later...

I really enjoyed Jacqueline Wilson books when I was younger (I have not read any of the books released since the early 2000s). Vicky Angel and The Illustrated Mum were my favourites.

I liked how her books were well written and dealing with problems like death, mental illness, divorce, abandonment etc but still enjoyable to read. They always ended on a postive as well,; no matter how bad the problems were there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• 2 years later...

My library guru recommended Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson the last time I saw her at the library. I'd seen Wilson's books before but I've disliked the book covers so I don't think I never would've picked any of the books up on my own. I gave LR a go, however, and was really pleasantly surprised :) 

Now, I would normally probably go to the library's website and see which books they have by her, but their website is currently down because they are upgrading to a new system... So I thought I'd as you guys, which books would you recommend? I'd rather go with standalones, but if you know my reading taste and think I would enjoy a particular series, I'm up for that, too :) Library Guru also recommended The Illustrated Mom but they didn't have that in the library that day, so I'll have to borrow it some other time. 

I really liked how Wilson, in LR, addressed a serious issue and she didn't sugar coat it, but she also didn't 'dwell' on it and get all preachy and sinister. I'm not at all surprised that she is such a well-received and popular author :smile2: 

I've only read one of hers so far: The Story of Tracy Beaker. I loved it when I was younger and recently bought a copy for myself. It didn't disappoint upon re-reading it.

I will have to give that a go, then :) I saw copies of the Tracy Beaker series at the library but I had no idea which was the first book in the series so left them there. And found a copy of An Illustrated Mom! :) 

Amy (she's 10) likes Jacqueline Wilson, so I've just asked her if she can think of any a grown up may also like, and she said Midnight, which she's about half way through. I've just looked up the reviews, and I may well read it myself at some point! :)

Thanks Michelle for asking Amy, tell her thanks for the recommendation, I've made a note of it and will see if they have copies of that particular book at the library! :) I do think that being a 'newbie' to Wilson's books, I'd rather read the more YA novels first, but I think later on I might well like to read the books she's written to a younger audience, too :)