Cookbooks

dogmatix

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

Nice one, chaliepud, I've never seen this thread before! :lol:

As you probably know, my favourite book at the moment is A Passion for Baking by Jo Wheatley, and my favourite recipe from it is the Custard Cream biscuits.

In fact most of my cookbooks are baking books and other favourites are The Primrose Bakery Book (with a fabulous recipe for chocolate bourbon biscuits) and The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days.  I also love reading How To Bake by Paul Hollywood, although I haven't summoned up the courage to make much from it yet, but I'm determined to try more bread recipes in the future, and I think this will be where I will get my recipes from (although I might also buy his book Bread which accompanied his television series). 

More general cookbooks we own and that I love to read are Nigel Slater's Real Food and Appetite and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's The River Cottage Year.  As we are vegetarians, Rose Elliot is prevalent on our bookshelves, and a lot of our favourite dishes are made from her books, but have to say, my other half is the cook in our house, so I mainly just find the recipes for him to try! :giggle2:

Edited by chesilbeach

I'll have to look up those cookbooks sometime, CB! :)

I own quite a few cookbooks but I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet read / tried most of them. I've been too tired most of the time, to try out new recipes. I do plan on doing so, though, once I feel a bit better. I can tell you which cookbooks I have, if anyone's interested (GR doesn't list all of them) but I can't tell you if they're any good or not I'm afraid. They look good based upon flicking through but that's all I can say.

I have quite a few cookbooks, but I don't get to use them much since my bf moved in. He abhors cooking anything after a recipe, since he can pretty much create anything from his knowledge. Therefore I let him reign the kitchen most of the time.

I've focused my collection on Japanese cuisine, though I also have a few books about other Asian countries, as well as American cuisine.

I've received my copy of Save with Jamie and had a flick through it. There looks to be tasty things in there! One recipe I stumbled upon uses cheddar cheese, which, if I make it, I'll replace with Dutch cheese (since cheddar cheese is hard to get here and more expensive I'd expect). I looked at my other cookbooks too, I have a lot from Jamie Oliver (mainly in English) but also quite a few other cookbooks (either translated into Dutch or originally Dutch). I plan to make some recipes out of some of my cookbooks when I feel less tired and less stressed.

Edited by Athena

One of my all time favourite recipe books is Jamie's Ministry of Food, the recipes in it are all relatively simple, the ingredients are easily sourced and they're what I would call proper food, I am a little fussy and of course my kids have their likes and dislikes too!  My favourite recipes in there are the Fish Pie which is soooo simple to make as it involves so poaching of fish or the making of white sauces and has a dash of chilli for extra flavour. The baked french potatoes are yummy too and not as unhealthy as a dauphinoise for example. My kids love the crunchy garlic chicken which I often make when they have friends over.  It was through this book that I first tried cod wrapped in bacon, a great bay to get kids eating more fish! :)

The Hairy Dieters books have been brilliant too, they are superb at making recipes that would normally be unhealthy more healthy.  My favourite so far from the first book has been the Sweet and Sour Chicken, the new book has a Chicken Chow Mein in there so will try them both together next time. Other good ones is cod again, this time with parma ham (I used lean bacon) and roasted pepper, I made this for my parents as they don't eat a lot of heavy food and they loved it.  The Spanish style chicken bake is fabulous too and great if you have a number of people for supper as you can add extra/chicken veg easily and not affect the recipe.. There is a good reason why this book gets such rave reviews on Amazon! :) :)

The one book I love but rarely use is Nigella's Kitchen and I don't know why, I'm going to get it out now and have a look at what I can make..... :chef: I'll bet she'll have a recipe I can use up some leftover red wine in! :D