An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears

dogmatix

I'm halfway through Fingerpost, and if Jack Prescott isn't a nasty sort, I give up. Self-righteous to say the least! But I am enjoying to, and only wish I could devote more time at the same time to reading it. I'm almost through Prescott's section.

Some of the "experimentation" in the first part was quite gruesome though.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also turning into an excellent spy story. The politics of the era are fascinating, the Restoration Era....when Charles II came home. I did find especially the first story slow going, but if I'd realized the importance of it, I would have enjoyed it more. But it's making up for it fast and furious. :)

• 2 months later...

Ok, I've finally finished this one. :hyper:

It's such a complex read, with so many layers that I'm quite stumped what to say about it. :lol: I loved the first story, was a wee bit confused by the next two stories, but absolutely loved the final story, which of course tied it all together.

I think this is one that I would have to re-read to fully appreciate it, now that I know how it ends. I would like to go through the first three stories (knowing what I now know) and see what hints or clues (if any) were given about the true underlying facts.

It's interesting how with every story, different views/sides of the various characters are revealed, and it's clear that not all is as straightforward as each individual character believes. Definitely full of surprises!

(Loved the fact that Sarah Blundy lived!)

:)