Country Ham

dogmatix

My father in law just gave me 1/2 of a country ham (this is an uncooked salt cured ham) it's sliced. What the heck do I do with it? I love traditional style ham (you know like Honey Baked Ham) but I've never had a country ham before.

The only application I know of are the southern style ham biscuits which are fine but I'm looking for some recipes. If you have any suggestions lay em' on me. Apparently this stuff will last about forever so I need a few ideas.:018:

OK, more seriously, if you want to cook with cured ham, look for things you'd cook with slices of pancetta, speck and parmaham in Italian cook books.

That is, if what you mean by cured ham is what I mean - dark, but more translucent and bacon-like than cooked ham is.

I had a wonderful piece of quail wrapped in crispy cured ham the other day - I think they just baked it.

Much easier is getting chicken breast, stuffing it with a home made pesto, and wrapping in thin slices of cured ham and sticking it in the oven for half an hour.

Or saltimbocca. If you can get veal escalopes, saltimbocca is great and easy (stick a couple of sage leaves inside a veal escalope, wrap in ham, hold together with a cocktail stick, fry in small amount of olive oil for 3 or 4 minutes each side, leave out warm, and make a simple picatta - shallots, chicken stock, wine, lemon juice - to pour over it in the same pan, getting the meaty flavours into the sauce).

Andy you rock!!!! I use pancetta, parmaham and other cured italian meats all the time. Usually with fresh mozarella, tomtoes and fennell. Salty cured ham-------I just never put two and two together. You've opened an whole door of possibilities for me. Thanks so much.

Picatta, I love picatta.......