About A Boy by Nick Hornby

Kate

Addition: Hardback, library book Genre: Fiction

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:

Will is thirty-six, comfortable and child-free. And he's discovered a brilliant new way of meeting women - through single-parent groups. Marcus is twelve and a little bit nerdish: he's got the kind of mother who made him listen to Joni Mitchell rather than Nirvana. Perhaps they can help each other out a little bit, and both can start to act their age.

This book is great! It is funny, engaging, and really worth reading. This is the second book by Nick Hornby I have read, and I think if he is a new author to you, you should start with this book.

The story has two central characters: Will, a thirty-something who has never worked a day in his life. All he does is live off his trust-fund and look out for himself. The other character is Marcus. He is twelve and a touch peculiar. He sings in class, without realising he is doing it, and does not dress like his peers, or like what they like. The two meet when Will has a great idea to find new women to date. He decides the way forward is to pursue single mothers. That way, they won't be able to have a long relationship, and they will do the dumping, so he won't be seen as the bad guy. Will is dating Susan when she introduces him to Marcus. Susan is a good friend of Fiona, Marcus' Mum, who suffers from depression. Occasionally Susan will take Marcus for the day, and on this fateful day, when they get back Marcus discovers his Mum has attempted to commit suicide. Will is thrown into the deep end, and from that point on Marcus starts hanging around Will. The two eventually form a funny friendship and bond, which helps them both in their lives.

This book is extremely well written and very entertaining. Hornby develops both Will and Marcus well, and the story is split equally between them. Some chapters are told from Will's point of view, and others through Marcus'. From this we get a full picture of how the bond forms and the trials they both face. The dramatic irony in the book is great fun, and adds a wonderful and amusing level to the reading.

I think the storyline is incredible. I don't know how Hornby came up with this idea, but it very well executed and original. I loved the twists and turns and the crazy characters in the story. Having seen the film first I did find myself visualising the actors used, but the film is very well cast and picturing Hugh Grant as Will was perfect. I loved Will, I found him hilarious. He has no morals but seeing him change - albeit slowly - out of his selfish character was very entertaining. I think Marcus definitely sits on the autistic spectrum, but he was very well written.

This is a great read and I highly recommend it.

I read this book a few weeks ago - I had watched the movie some years ago (a couple of times - I LOVE Hugh Grant!! :smile2: ) . I loved both the film and the book, which are similar yet quite different in parts. I too feel it's incredibe how Hornby could come up with such a credible, everyday story which manages to be funny yet very touching.

Strangely enough I disliked the film for the same reason that Vodkafan likes it! I thought by changing the ending, they took away the central point of the book. Marcus fixates on the charactors of Will and the older girl at school (name escapes me) because he thinks their cool nd so different from his mother and other people in his sphere. The ending of the book does a much better job of showing that not to be the case IMHO. I'd love to put a lot more, but I hate spoilers!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough I disliked the film for the same reason that Vodkafan likes it! I thought by changing the ending, they took away the central point of the book. Marcus fixates on the charactors of Will and the older girl at school (name escapes me) because he thinks their cool nd so different from his mother and other people in his sphere. The ending of the book does a much better job of showing that not to be the case IMHO. I'd love to put a lot more, but I hate spoilers!

Ian

I agree with what you said. And it really bothered me that they changed the whole "Kirk O'Bain" (or what name she used..) storyline, Marcus and Ellie's relationship just never made sense for me in the film as it did in the book.

Now you've made me realise I can't remeber the way the movie ends :lol:

Nice review Kate. This is (along with A Long Way Down) my favourite Hornby book. The others I've read are ok, but I didn't find them particularly 'special' , but these two (About A Boy especially) are really good (I liked the humour).

• 9 months later...