Man Booker Prize

Brida

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, how's everyone doing?

Just wanted to update the thread since the winner of the Man Booker Prize for Fiction 2010 was announced :)

Here's the link

The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson

Synopsis :

He should have seen it coming. His life had been one mishap after another. So he should have been prepared for this one...' - Julian Treslove, a professionally unspectacular former BBC radio producer, and Sam Finkler, a popular Jewish philosopher, writer and television personality, are old school friends. Despite a prickly relationship and very different lives, they've never quite lost touch with each other - or with their former teacher, Libor Sevcik, a Czech always more concerned with the wider world than with exam results. Now, both Libor and Finkler are recently widowed, and with Treslove, his chequered and unsuccessful record with women rendering him an honorary third widower, they dine at Libor's grand, central London apartment. It's a sweetly painful evening of reminiscence in which all three remove themselves to a time before they had loved and lost; a time before they had fathered children, before the devastation of separations, before they had prized anything greatly enough to fear the loss of it. Better, perhaps, to go through life without knowing happiness at all because that way you have less to mourn? Treslove finds he has tears enough for the unbearable sadness of both his friends' losses. And it's that very evening, at exactly 11:30 pm, as Treslove, walking home, hesitates a moment outside the window of the oldest violin dealer in the country, that he is attacked. And after this, his whole sense of who and what he is will slowly and ineluctably change. "The Finkler Question" is a scorching story of friendship and loss, exclusion and belonging, and of the wisdom and humanity of maturity. Funny, furious, unflinching, this extraordinary novel shows one of our finest writers at his brilliant best.

Edited by Brida

I've got this on my TBR now as I'm intrigued. There's a few others in the list that I'd quite like to read although none that I actually want to buy, I'll have to get them from the library.

I watched a Newsnight review about the shortlisted books and the guests practically hated them all .. but then their expectations/standards are probably a lot higher than mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about a third of the way through The English Patient, and am thoroughly enjoying it. For me it was a bit of a slow starter, and I put it down for a couple of weeks and read other books. But the other night I picked it up again, and wow!

I've read about The Finkler Question, and can't quite make up my mind about it, whether or not I want to read it I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I had never had any inclination to read The English Patient, despite enjoying the film, but am very glad this challenge encouraged me to do so. What a good book! I finished it over a week ago, but the characters, their lives, and the descriptions in the book are still with me. I had bought it as a second-hand paperback from Amazon because I wasn't sure I would like it (and also because it had a photo of Ralph Fiennes on the cover *blush*), but think I will look out for a nice edition to keep as I know I will want to read it again in the future.

I've read seven books off the list and I'm on one of the short lists for 2010.

Martin Amis - Time's Arrow

Margaret Atwood - Cat's Eye,

Margaret Atwood - Alias Grace

Margaret Atwood - The blind assassin

Damon Galgut - The Good Doctor

David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas

Yann Martel - Life of Pi

I had never had any inclination to read The English Patient, despite enjoying the film, but am very glad this challenge encouraged me to do so. What a good book! I finished it over a week ago, but the characters, their lives, and the descriptions in the book are still with me. I had bought it as a second-hand paperback from Amazon because I wasn't sure I would like it (and also because it had a photo of Ralph Fiennes on the cover *blush*), but think I will look out for a nice edition to keep as I know I will want to read it again in the future.

I finished a bit ago too, and feel the same. As I mentioned on my Reading List thread, it had been on my shelf for a couple of years. I just needed that extra "push" to read it, and am so glad Brida started this thread to provide said push. :smile2:

I love the way Ondaatje wove the stories together. I certainly learned things about WWII that I'd not been aware of before.

Hello everyone, it's been a while...

I'm very glad to hear the challenge has been helpfull, I hope you'll (we'll) enjoy the following books too!

This book is certainly different from what I thought it would be, the writing style and the whole ''composition'' of the story (the way things were revealed in the story, if you know what I mean lol) is interesting. I liked it, and hope to write a review soon :)

I've got The Remains of the Day from the library (it was looking at me from the shelf, I couldn't help it :lol: ), I'm hoping to start it soon.

So, got any ideas on what to read next, for December/January lets say? And if there's anyone who'd like to join in, feel free! :)

Happy reading guys.

Everyone so far has enjoyed The English Patient, so that was definitely a success :)

The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch is calling to me very loudly from my shelf, I wonder if anyone else would be interested in reading it for the next choice?

I hope you enjoy The Remains of the Day, Brida, it is one of my favourite books (and films). I have read it several times, and will probably read it yet again over the next year of so!

Everyone so far has enjoyed The English Patient, so that was definitely a success :)

The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch is calling to me very loudly from my shelf, I wonder if anyone else would be interested in reading it for the next choice?

I hope you enjoy The Remains of the Day, Brida, it is one of my favourite books (and films). I have read it several times, and will probably read it yet again over the next year of so!

Thanks Ooshie! I'm just about to start it :)

The Sea, The Sea sounds good to me, but I'm affraid I won't be able to get around to it before December.

Should we make the next book a December/January read? Or do we need more time due to holiday activities :lol:

Edited by Brida

So you read the book over December/January - where do you post on it, in this thread?

Yes, you can come here and comment, discuss etc., and also as we've done - write your own review if you like ;)

Will you be joining us, Eliza? :)

If you'd like to suggest something else, feel free, we still haven't decided officially what the next read will be.

Edited by Brida

Yes, you can come here and comment, discuss etc., and also as we've done - write your own review if you like ;)

Will you be joining us, Eliza? :)

If you'd like to suggest something else, feel free, we still haven't decided officially what the next read will be.

Yes I'll join in :) I'm sorry I missed the English patient but I'd like to read a review. I think The Sea, The Sea is a great choice, I've seen it so many times in book shops but never got round to picking up a copy. Is this for the Man booker prize challenge, or is it book of the month?

I'd like to write a review on some books I've read.. well try anyway. I've read Michelle's guide to writing a review, it's really helpful. Do I just open a thread in the genre and put in the Author and title? Can you just do it that way?

Yes I'll join in :) I'm sorry I missed the English patient but I'd like to read a review. I think The Sea, The Sea is a great choice, I've seen it so many times in book shops but never got round to picking up a copy. Is this for the Man booker prize challenge, or is it book of the month?

I'd like to write a review on some books I've read.. well try anyway. I've read Michelle's guide to writing a review, it's really helpful. Do I just open a thread in the genre and put in the Author and title? Can you just do it that way?

Great, welcome then! :D

You can read the reviews here:

Ooshie's

pontalba's

mine

The Sea, The Sea has been suggested as part of the challenge, yes. So it's 3 votes for it so far! :)

Yes, you can post a review in the appropriate section, or in your own thread like the one's in the Reading Lists/Blogs section :)

Great, welcome then! :D

You can read the reviews here:

Ooshie's

pontalba's

mine

The Sea, The Sea has been suggested as part of the challenge, yes. So it's 3 votes for it so far! :)

Yes, you can post a review in the appropriate section, or in your own thread like the one's in the Reading Lists/Blogs section :)

Thanks Brida :)

I don't have a copy of The Sea, The Sea, but am trotting over the lake to Barnes and Noble tonight to take a look at their only copy. :rolleyes:

I'm on the fence at present, I've been very lukewarm towards Murdoch in the past, but the synopsis on Amazon looks promising.

No one on this side of the lake has a copy, not even the library!! :eek:

Of course any excuse to go shopping on the South Shore is a good one. :giggle:

I'm not planning on participating in this challenge to the extent of the rest of you, but I might like to read along with you when you do The Sea, The Sea, if you don't mind. :smile2:

Edited by Kylie

I'm not planning on participating in this challenge to the extent of the rest of you, but I might like to read along with you when you do The Sea, The Sea, if you don't mind. :smile2:

Great! I have a feeling I'll need all the encouragement possible. :lol:

Well the fellowship of the...book is growing! :lol: Lovely. I hope that means there'll be a huge discussion on our next read :D

If it's ok with everyone who's decided to join in, I'd really like it to be a December/January read, because I'm not sure how much time I'll have for reading (non uni stuff that is lol)...?

That's ok with me :) I don't know how much time I'll have in the coming weeks for reading with christmas on the way etc. If I end up reading it through December, I can read the English patient through January to catch up :D

• 3 weeks later...