David Mitchell's - De Zoet

mrj217

Hi- I'm new to this game -here we go - I'm a D Mitchell reader (hate the word fan - more appropriate for sports) and I looked forward to The Thousand autumns of Jacob de Zoet - but ultimately I think the book finishes weakly after a strong start.I'd like to discuss this more -but need someone to to discuss with - is anyone there?

Hi mrj217 :) Yes, I thought the ending was weak. The detail was so rich at the start and tapered off somewhat towards the end. There was a very romantic plot involved also, I think the ending could have been a bit more dramatic because of this? Then again, this story is very much immersed in history with the Dutch East India company.. Dejima etc, and he probably wanted to keep it grounded, to make his own account of history that could be true.

The end also seemed a little bit rushed, which I didn't find with the other two of his novels I've read. That's the only complaint I have though. To be fair I couldn't put it down, he's an amazing writer.

Eliza1 - Mitchell began to lose me with the Midwife in the wierd nunnery plot. There was the exciting escape scene ,only to be followed by the shock that Orito had voluntarily returned to captivity ! I felt that the author was so proud of the escape scene that he had to keep that in the novel despite the story needing Orito to remain in the nunnery.

I did think the chapters concerning the English attack on Dejima resounded well.He was good on the Japanese culture as well.

Good to read you agreed with me on the ending.

And yes he is an amazing writer.

I'm afraid I've put it aside for now as well. I absolutely loved the first chapter, and really, bought on the strength of same. Naturally it turned in another direction in Chapter 2. :doh:

I'll pick it up again, I do like Mitchell's writing, but not just yet.

yes now I think of it, it was a bit pointless to spend so much time narrating a really exciting escape and then making her go back - Double the disappointment though at Uzaemon being set-up by his feigning co-rescuers and "good friend" Shuzai. I was expecting her to at least escape the second time. Third time lucky I suppose..

I thought the poison scene between the abbott and the magistrate was brilliant. I think they should have put that last, it would have made a great ending. I suppose the Abbott had to die for Orito to be set free and see De Zoet again. I hope he writes a new one soon :)

The other thought I had on Orito going back to the nunnery was that in doing so she became complicit to the secret - she had that knowlege over the nuns remaining there.Had there been any justice to be served after the dissolusion then she would also have had to be served a punishment . Yet she remains spotless.

I know. I suppose that is easy to over-look as she was protecting herself. But now I think of it, she would have been a willing co-conspirator to the whole organization if she had remained as "housekeeper".