The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Kate

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:

This is a series of short stories about a detective Sherlock Holmes, and his assistant, Dr. Watson. The detective is at the height of his powers and the volume is full of famous cases, including 'The Red-Headed League, ' 'The Blue Carbuncle, ' and 'The Speckled Band.'

This is my first Sherlock Holmes book, and it will certainly not be my last. This is a collection of short stories, and I found it a great introduction to Doyle's writing and the characters of Sherlock and Dr. Watson. Every story is no more than 25 pages long and is fun to read and engaging. The stories do not follow any particular order and one could easily dip in and out of this book or read the stories in their own desired order.

I liked all the stories, but probably The Blue Carbuncle which I did find fairly amusing. A man hid a stolen blue gem in a turkey before Christmas, and when the turkey was given to the wrong person he went a bit crazy! I did find myself laughing. Doyle is a clever, fun writer and Sherlock is intelligent, a bit bizarre and humorous.

I didn't find this a quick read - I believe this is because of the old-fashioned language and structure. It took me a little while to adjust, however this was not a problem - I find this is the case with classics as well. It is worth pursuing and the stories are fantastic. There is adventure, mystery and humour. I don't think I worked out any of the mysteries as this is not my usual genre, but I loved reading these stories and have even lent out my copy so others can share this enjoyment. I cannot wait to read more!

I last read these books in my mid-twenties. As you say, very enjoyable. Get the rest (including the four full length novels) as they are all good reads. The short stories are pure story, nothing else, so actually fit in quite a lot for their length.

Ian

Love the Serlock holmes stories, where we live we have to fly for hospital visits so I always put a Conan-Doyle in the pocket. These are stories that I never tire of reading. As with a lot things I do I have also bought the DVD series with Jeremy Brett, he does a great Holmes and the writers don't wander too far from the original.

• 3 weeks later...

Read these many years ago and loved them. I must re read them some time (life's too short). They came alive again for me when Jeremy Brett played Holmes.

Couldn't agree more - as my avatar will suggest :D

• 3 months later...

Orion Books have announced that author Anthony Horowitz has been chosen by the Conan Doyle estate to write a new Sherlock Holmes book which will be due out later this year. I love the Stormbreaker series, although I'm not keen on Horowitz other series, but I think I'd be interested to read his Sherlock Holmes story, but I think I need to read some of the originals first!

Why oh why can't they just leave these classic books alone? :irked: And I'm not only referring to Sherlock Holmes here.

It's like the way Hollywood continually remakes old movies. Doesn't anyone have any ideas of their own any more, instead of just cashing in on past successes? They should be encouraging new fans of Sherlock Holmes to read the original stories rather than some new version.

Why oh why can't they just leave these classic books alone? :irked: And I'm not only referring to Sherlock Holmes here.

It's like the way Hollywood continually remakes old movies. Doesn't anyone have any ideas of their own any more, instead of just cashing in on past successes? They should be encouraging new fans of Sherlock Holmes to read the original stories rather than some new version.

I tend to agree Kylie, after all it wasn't as if Conan Doyle was not prolific with the Holmes Stories. Having said that though, it was a non Conan Doyle SH story that got me started on the real ones. Caleb Carr wrote The Italian Secretary, very well I thought, and that got me into the proper stories after that. I suppose he is just one character that people think needs resurrecting every now and again. I do love the "Sherlock" series that BBC produced last year - and eagerly await the new series this year.

I have just bought 8 Sherlock Holmes books from the Book People for £5 looking forward to reading them.

That sounds like a good bargain Alison. I hope you enjoy them. :)

Staying with the point about other authors writing Sherlock Holmes stories, I have to admit that I picked up a book in my library last night called Further Adventures of SH - The Whitechapel Horrors by Edward B Hanna. I always felt a story was waiting to be written about SH and Jack the Ripper and I often wondered why ACD didn't pick up on this but then I suppose the stories were still very fresh at the time and it might not have been very PC - although it could have been disguised. I don't know this author and I will come back once I've read it to let you know if it's any good.

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder, if Conan Doyle born such hero,(and I must confess I never heard about reall person who can apply deduction as brilliantly as Sharlock Holmes in reall life, he must be very smart like Holmes. What do you think about that?

I wonder, if Conan Doyle born such hero,(and I must confess I never heard about reall person who can apply deduction as brilliantly as Sharlock Holmes in reall life, he must be very smart like Holmes. What do you think about that?

Well as I think Conan Doyle pointed out himself, Holmes made these deductions in seconds whereas Doyle as a writer had a little longer to come up with them. As for deductions in real life you may want to read up on Joseph Bell, JP, DL, FRCS who Doyle worked for as a clerk at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

If I'm not wrong Joseph Bell was the teacher in Edinburg university where Conan Doyle studied. And Sharlock Holmes is the prototype of those teacher. As Conan Doyle said: "Joseph Bell astonish every student with his fenomenal abilities of observation and deduction."

In fact the appearance of SH was an accident. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a doctor by calling and he wrote this story only to make some money.

Joanne Rowling does the same. And now she is alive legend for million people.

Could someone suggest me a good (or the best) collection that contains all Sherlock Holmes' adventures (novels and short stories)? It seems there is an abundance of publications out there.. Preferably hardcover.

Hello Tristan

I'd recommend this collection - it is in hardback.

Complete Sherlock Holmes