Scotland

Ceinwenn

So there is a better than 50% chance that I will be moving to Scotland in about 3 months time & I am in need of some advice from those of you who are living there already. We'll be moving to the St. Andrews area for my work, but it would seem that finding accommodation is not going to be all that easy in St. Andrews proper. So my questions are: Anyone know Fife very well? Anyone able to tell me how easy it would be to commute from outside of St. Andrews, relying on public transportation & bicycle? Anyone know areas we should avoid or that you would recommend over any others?

I don't live anywhere near St. Andrews, but I used to live in Kirkcaldy which isn't all that far away really (about 24 miles). Kirkcaldy is (or at least, was) pretty cheap to live in and to drive between there and St. Andrews shouldn't take more than about 45 minutes. Don't know what public transport there is between the two though, or how long it would take.

Anstruther is less than 10 miles away and should only take about 15 minutes driving. It's a small place and I don't know the accommodation or public transport deals from there, but I was at a wedding there last summer and it seems very nice.

Cupar is also less than 10 miles away, but I've never been there.

I hope that at least gives you a starting point for possibilities till someone with a bit more knowledge can give more info. :)

Leuchars I think would be your nearest link by rail and then cycle is possible I think, not sure how far it is though. the East Neuk (all the wee fishing villages up the coast are lovely). I am from Kirkcaldy originally and am sure you would possibly find cheaper accomodation there as Kell says. Cupar is much closer and is quite a nice town, not to big and I think that is on the rail link too to Leuchars, but don't take my word for it, check it out. Are you going to be working in St Andrews or studying. Remember to visit us in Aberdeen when you get up here won't you! Give us a shout if you maybe need more info.