Book with missing pages

Susie

Have you ever read a book, and discovered midway that some pages were missing?

This happened to me a few weeks ago.

Book was , Charley's Web by Joy Fielding.(hardcover)

It repeated about 20 pages, then other pages were missing. Still I enjoyed the book. LOL

I reported this to amazon and quickly got a refund.

My sister was reading a Sandra Brown book this week and she said author put in wrong name.

There was a couple in book, not main charactors, named Doug and Sharon.

Author wrote Doug and Susan instead.

My twin sis noticed this because that's our names.

Fortunately I've only experienced half pages and torn pages, rather than entire ones. This meant that I didn't miss too much of the action.

When I read your post Susie I thought "Doug? That's an unusual name for a girl." :doh: I then read the post properly! :lol:

I have discovered a couple of missing pages in a couple of books but more bizarrely in a seies of books I was reading between part 1 and 2 the main male protaginists name had been changes I think it was from peter to john

I don't think I've ever read a book that's actually had pages missing before. I've read the odd library book that has had a few pages loose before but none that have actually been missing. I always tend to flick through library books and those that I buy in charity shops before borrowing/buying them to make sure that there aren't any pages missing.

I've noticed minor mistakes in a few books over the years where one of the characters name has changed at some point, however it usually reverts back to the correct name fairly quickly.

It repeated about 20 pages, then other pages were missing. Still I enjoyed the book. LOL

I reported this to amazon and quickly got a refund.

I had something similar with a hardback copy of Reaper Man (Terry Pratchett) when that first came out.

Due to a binding error several pages had been duplicated in the middle of the book replacing several missing pages.

I stopped reading at that point and took it back to the shop who swapped it for a good copy.

I bought my first copy of An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears and got halfway through when it jumped about 80 pages backwards, even though the numbering continued correctly. I was gutted, because the book was brilliant. I raced back the 40 miles the next day to swap it for a proper copy, only realising that it would have probably been cheaper to nip into town and buy a new copy after the deed was done. And I ended up buying another two books whilst I was there!!! doh.gif

I was reading a Christopher Pike book once (can't remember which) and about half way through there was a chapter from a completely different Christopher Pike book! I noticed because I'd read the other book, and because there were two chapter 9s and no chapter 10! Unfortunately the chapter that was missing evidently contained a vital piece of the story, because after that it didn't make much sense! Lucklily it was a library book!

Echo, that's what my book did, repeated about 20 or so pages, then left out that many.

It didnt seem to disrupt the story. I really should get another copy and see what I missed. ha!

Squiggles you are smart to look over the books you buy before hand.

I get most of mine at "used" books at amazon. The hardcover books are usually just four dollars, and in excellent condition most of the time.

Raven, I was hoping amazon would just send me another copy, but instead they gave me my money back.

I still enjoyed the book and sort of felt guilty for not paying for it.

Mac, forty miles is a long way to swap book for a good one. Glad you found a couple more you liked .

I live in a small town and it's probably 30 miles or so to the nearest book store.

Book Fiend, that is sooo strange that a chapter from another book showed up in your copy.

It makes you wonder how these things happen when books are printed.

I wonder how many were sold like my copy.

I got about three quarters of the way through To Kill a Mockingbird before finding there was a page missing. I couldn't locate a copy anywhere online (this was quite a few years ago) so I had to hold off until I could visit the nearest city, visit Waterstones and locate a copy. It wasn't hard to find one but unfortunately, being a new edition, the layout of the book was different to the one I'd been reading and the page I wanted wasn't where I'd expected it to be. Still, I managed to find it and read it. There's no way I could have just skipped it and the same goes for any book.