Today I Learnt A New Word.....

Chrissy

Holy hell. I think  I will read the book in Finnish :D Thank you Calvino for not having written your books in English!  :flowers2:

:D There were two more today (so far  :blush2: ) .. 

Telluric .. relating to the earth or proceeding from the earth or soil

Divagations .. to wander or drift about

Alea is a dice in Latin so this one makes sense to me :) (the famous expression 'alea iacta est' means 'the die is cast' in English). I learned it during my Latin class.

I have hardly any knowledge of latin  :blush2: Botanical names are the nearest I get to understanding it.

I've only learnt that 'ale' is a type of beer and 'tory' is a party in the UK :P

Ha :D  

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OligopolyA market condition in which sellers are so few that the actions of any one of them will materially affect price and have a measurable impact on competitors.

Aleatory: (adj) Depending on the throw of a dice or on chance; random.

Afflatus: A strong creative impulse, especially as a result of divine inspiration.

All taken from If On a Winter's Night a Traveller .. I think it'll have some more before it's done with me  :blush2: 

Eek! Is that the Italo Calvino book? That's looks to be a sod of a read! :giggle2:  :blush2: . I tried to read his book Difficult Loves, and it bored me to tears. And yet, a friend recommended IOaWNaT to me. Mind you, I have tried to read the artists statement by his paintings in exhibition, and I can't understand them either sometimes most of the time! :D

Onomatomania

the irrational fear of a particular word

frustration at being unable to think of an appropriate word

and

an obsession with or extreme love of names

That's me!! :D  :giggle:

onomatomania

noun

a passion or compulsion for certain words or names and their supposed significance; also, a need to recall certain word

Me again, even more so  :D

Eek! Is that the Italo Calvino book? That's looks to be a sod of a read! :giggle2:  :blush2: . I tried to read his book Difficult Loves, and it bored me to tears. And yet, a friend recommended IOaWNaT to me. Mind you, I have tried to read the artists statement by his paintings in exhibition, and I can't understand them either sometimes most of the time! :D

It is  :blush2: It's very .. taxing :DAt times I am loving it, other times I'm hating it and finding it a slog :D

It is  :blush2: It's very .. taxing :DAt times I am loving it, other times I'm hating it and finding it a slog :D

:D What I call a 'Jorge Luis Borges moment', when I realise that the book I'm reading is supposed to be a masterpiece, but I would rather go to deep sea diving than carry on any more with it... :giggle2: And I have never been in the sea above my ankles!

:D What I call a 'Jorge Luis Borges moment', when I realise that the book I'm reading is supposed to be a masterpiece, but I would rather go to deep sea diving than carry on any more with it... :giggle2: And I have never been in the sea above my ankles!

:D These sort of books do make me feel stoopid  :blush2:

Onomatomania

the irrational fear of a particular word

frustration at being unable to think of an appropriate word

and

an obsession with or extreme love of names

I've heard of this word before, I like it :).

• 8 months later...

I found a word in the novel I'm currently reading that I can't find in my Finnish-English-Finnish dictionary nor in the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary nor the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English :D Had to google in the end.... 

rallentando

Adjective

rallentando ‎(not comparable)

1. (music) slackening; becoming slower (used as a musical direction).
Edited by frankie

• 1 year later...