Today I Learnt A New Word.....

Chrissy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I've come across several new words in the past week, but here are my top three:

animadiversion (n.) - criticism or censure; a comment or remark, especially a critical one

sedulous (adj.) - showing dedication or diligence

circumlocution (n) - the use of many words where few would do

I'm often guilty of the last!  I must say, though, that I'm happy to find other word nerds like me.  :)

Marie H, on 20 Dec 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:snapback.png

Bildungsroman is a wonderful term, it says a lot in just one word   :smile: . I "hoard" German words, in my head, just for the right moment to use them   :blush2: . It was great using schadenfreude once, and probably never have the chance again.

Schadenfreude is great, and one of my favorites is besserwisser  :) Do you say gesundheit when people sneeze?  :) 

It's great to read that we exported words like Schadenfreude and Besserwisser! :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:

By the way:

Some say, it's a bit unkind to say "Gesundheit", because originally, it wasn't used to wish people well but in the hope that one wouldn't catch their cold.

By the way:

Some say, it's a bit unkind to say "Gesundheit", because originally, it wasn't used to wish people well but in the hope that one wouldn't catch their cold.

x

That's interesting to know! I say 'gezondheid', which is the Dutch translation of 'gesundheit' from the German.

Interesting words, dtrpath27, I hadn't heard of them before!

It's great to read that we exported words like Schadenfreude and Besserwisser! :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  

I love words!The sound of them, the way they feel when you speak, the wonderful meanings  :smile2:

By the way:

It's very much that way with English saying "Bless You" after someone sneezes - it was to hope they didn't catch the bubonic plague in the 6th century, but it still is a very common thing to say, but we have little knowledge of the origin of it.

I sometimes worry that when I use different language words, that I might not be using them exactly. Could be  :unsure: or  :blush2: !

Cockalorum - a self important little man.

I've never heard of this, I love it :D

Not only do I LOVE this word, I am going to use it whenever I can! :D  Sadly I know a few about whom I can use this with abandon. :giggle2:

Not only do I LOVE this word, I am going to use it whenever I can! :D  Sadly I know a few about whom I can use this with abandon. :giggle2:

:D I think you have to broaden your social circles just to have a few more choices... :giggle:

Edit: Of course... It might make your life a bit less tolerable, so you have to very carefully consider if it's worth it :D

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't found any new words lately but these are a few of my favorite words that I have stumbled upon over time.

Anagnorisis - The moment of recognition or discovery (in a play, movie, etc.)

Bombilation - A sound that is like a droning, buzzing or humming.

This words suits the sound bees make on a summers day perfectly!

Curwhibble - A thing-a-ma-jig or a what-ya- ma-callit?

Finnimbrun - A knicknack or a trinket.

Hippopotomonstrosequippedaliop

hobia - The fear of long words.

And it is the longest word I'v seen in a long time lol

Autolatry - the worship of yourself. idiolatry, self-worship

Edited by Vimes

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hobbadehoy or hobbledehoy, I came across it in Vanity Fair. Poppyshake provided me with the explanation (my dictionary didn't have an entry and google did not work), thanks poppyshake :D  :flowers2:  Lemme tipsify you a bit...  :alc:

Oh and also learned 'dragoon', it was also in VF. The book, not the member :D 

Edited by frankie

Hobbadehoy or hobbledehoy, I came across it in Vanity Fair. Poppyshake provided me with the explanation (my dictionary didn't have an entry and google did not work), thanks poppyshake :D  :flowers2:  Lemme tipsify you a bit...  :alc:

Oh and also learned 'dragoon', it was also in VF. The book, not the member :D

What is the explanation :blush2:?

I'm sorry, I forgot!  :doh:

Hobbadehoy or hobbledehoy

Dragoon 

Edited by frankie

• 1 month later...