Today I Learnt A New Word.....

Chrissy

:oFrankie, what have you been doing on your birthday,to learn the meaning of starkers?....  :D:giggle2:  . Rather cold weather for activities like that :giggle2: . Do Finnish police officers write that word in their notebooks?  ;)

Oh, the traditional streaking... Around the house five times, and if you come to pass anyone you have to shake their hand and ask them how they are. That sort of thing.

:D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the traditional streaking... Around the house five times, and if you come to pass anyone you have to shake their hand and ask them how they are. That sort of thing.

Oh dear me, me and my filthy mind... :blush2:

:o A strange Finnish tradition no doubt - I would be run out of my village if I tried that - it would scare the livestock! :D

:D That's why it's so great to live in a city... Nobody cares! Although... I've been getting notes saying I need to stop this, and therefore I have applied for a flat in a bigger city... :giggle:

Starkers is a great word.

It is :D I'd never heard of it, but realized immediately that it must come from stark naked. I mean I also got it from the context, of course. I kinda like it also because it reminds me of the term 'stark raving mad' :D So you can be a bit of both. Crazy and neekid!

:o A strange Finnish tradition no doubt - I would be run out of my village if I tried that - it would scare the livestock! :D

Starkers is a great word.

Don't look Ethel!!!! :giggle2:

http://youtu.be/XtzoUu7w-YM

I learned Bildungsroman . It means a Coming of age novel like Jane Eyre or Great Expectations. What a lovely word! just wondering how I can incorporate that into my speech somehow every day at least once. :wink:

Bildungsroman is a wonderful term, it says a lot in just one word  :smile: . I "hoard" German words, in my head, just for the right moment to use them  :blush2: . It was great using schadenfreude once, and probably never have the chance again.  

eleemosynary : adj. of, relating to, or dependent on charity, charitable.

:o Never heard of it before... And I would never tempt to try and pronounce it without guidance :D

I've known some thick and (ob)noxious people in my time - now I know what to call them! :D

:D Thumbs up!

Bildungsroman is a wonderful term, it says a lot in just one word  :smile: . I "hoard" German words, in my head, just for the right moment to use them  :blush2: . It was great using schadenfreude once, and probably never have the chance again.

Schadenfreude is great, and one of my favorites is besserwisser :) Do you say gesundheit when people sneeze? :)

Schadenfreude is great, and one of my favorites is besserwisser :) Do you say gesundheit when people sneeze? :)

Yep, I do sometimes use gesundheit when people sneeze  :smile: . I love the word maelstrom, but usually in reference to chaotic life habits, things going wrong etc. French words like ennui sound, have meaning and feel great to say ! I love words!!  :smile2: I had to google besserwisser recently,  it's such a great word!

Edited by Marie H

Yep, I do sometimes use gesundheit when people sneeze  :smile: . I love the word maelstrom, but usually in reference to chaotic life habits, things going wrong etc. French words like ennui sound, have meaning and feel great to say ! I love words!!  :smile2:

Maelstrom sounds great! :)

I've never studied French, I'm kinda jealous of people who have, and know it :)

Words are wonderful, aren't they :wub:

I did French at 'O' level, but could never speak as a conversation, but most 'word knowledge' I glean are from other books, newspapers etc. Words are wonderful  :wub:

Edited by Marie H

• 4 weeks later...

Buggery. Eww.

Oh dear, frankie.... the realisation that telling someone to "b*****r off" can be a bit unpleasant  :blush2: .

Meretricious! 

Lovely word.... the Lestrade joke is rather good too  :D .

• 3 weeks later...

Dare Temp ....Trempra ....Trampwrench,

Thish is all scurril...surreyless ....scurvy lies. The alleg ...legume ...infer ...accu ....thingy about my being full of crapulence, is a grosh insalt and amounts to libelley slanderousness and you will be hearing fourth ....foorth ....soon from my loy ...lor...lawry type person.

Yors in wounded outrage

Poopy :drama:

Crapulence (noun)

1. Sickness caused by excessive eating or drinking.
2. Excessive indulgence; intemperance

In other words ....a hangover!

And what's best, the words actually sounds like the thing it means :D

Dare Temp ....Trempra ....Trampwrench,

Thish is all scurril...surreyless ....scurvy lies. The alleg ...legume ...infer ...accu ....thingy about my being full of crapulence, is a grosh insalt and amounts to libelley slanderousness and you will be hearing fourth ....foorth ....soon from my loy ...lor...lawry type person.

Yors in wounded outrage

Poopy :drama:

:lol: :lol: Oh!

How's the crapulence going :empathy: