Jo Nesbo

Karsa - Nesbo should employ you as part of his promotions team I have just order myself a copy of redbreast ;)

LOL, yeah, I should get royalties :giggle2:

Really hope you enjoy it :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not read any of his books but from the rave reviews you guys are giving him I think I'll have to read one. Any ideas where to start? are his books a series?

Edited by Knox

^^ What Pickle said. Although the main plot in each book stands alone, there are other plot threads that run through several of the books, so you might end up wondering what that stuff was about if you started with anything other than The Redbreast :)

In order, they're:

The Redbreast

Nemesis

The Devil's Star

The Redeemer

The Snowman

The Leopard

hi knox, although they are stand alone stories they are part of a continuing series so I would start with The Redbreast which is the first.

^^ What Pickle said. Although the main plot in each book stands alone, there are other plot threads that run through several of the books, so you might end up wondering what that stuff was about if you started with anything other than The Redbreast :)

In order, they're:

The Redbreast

Nemesis

The Devil's Star

The Redeemer

The Snowman

The Leopard

Thanks for the help guys. I like to read in order so have ordered a copy of 'The redbreast' :) Look forward to reading it.

The one thing that puts me off these is that when I pick one up it proudly states on the cover 'the next Stieg Larsson'. Well I gave up on those halfway through the first one, thought it was awful, so if they are like those I will not bother. Thoughts?

The one thing that puts me off these is that when I pick one up it proudly states on the cover 'the next Stieg Larsson'. Well I gave up on those halfway through the first one, thought it was awful, so if they are like those I will not bother. Thoughts?

Well if you read back earlier in the thread I think you'll see quite clearly what most of us thought of those stickers :wink:

It's utter tosh, basically. I thought the first Larsson book was clunky but passable, but I've never had the inclination to go back and read more. Nesbo, imo, is top of the class: lots of genuine edge-of-seat moments and a wonderfully flawed main character.

I'm from Norway, and I have only read one book written by Jo Nesbø, little bit humiliating I must say, but then again I blame it on my weird habbit of reading english books :o I find it hard to read books in other languages, even though I know a few lol :cool:

I'm from Norway, and I have only read one book written by Jo Nesbø, little bit humiliating I must say, but then again I blame it on my weird habbit of reading english books :o I find it hard to read books in other languages, even though I know a few lol :cool:

:lol:

You could always read the English translations of the Nesbo books :lol:

Morning Karsa, I'm starting The Redbreast on your recommendation mate.

I'll let you know how I get on. :wink:

I love this forum!!

Good man! :)

Have read some of The Leopard, but stopped after the first part because I didn't know it was part of a series. Will probably read the books in order some time this year. But what I read was very promising!

I've just finished The Redbreast. I really enjoyed it. I can see from a marketing stance why they would put "The next Steig Larrson" but for me, it reminded me most of Ian Rankin writing Rebus.

My only gripe is that the blurb on the back of the paperback gives away a MAJOR plot delevopment that doesn't happen till halfway through the book! Why do that? It would have come as a complete shock to me had I not known it was going to happen. :irked:

Ian

My only gripe is that the blurb on the back of the paperback gives away a MAJOR plot delevopment that doesn't happen till halfway through the book! Why do that? It would have come as a complete shock to me had I not known it was going to happen. :irked:

I think I've just read this plot development that you speak of. I agree - it's far too major for it to appear on the back of the book (I have the Kindle version, so I was lucky to not read the blurb).

Hi Karsa,

Sorry its taken a while to respond. My wife has kept me busy with decorating! :irked:

Thanks for another great recommendation, I have really enjoyed redbreast and cannot wait to start another.

• 1 month later...

The Kindle edition of The Leopard is currently going for £2.79. The first three books translated to English (The Redbreast, Nemesis, Devil's Star) are available for the Kindle in one bundle for £8 (as opposed to £3.19 each individually - bargain!) :)

Also, just noticed that the English translation of his standalone thriller called Headhunters is coming out in September.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been reading Jo Nesbo's novels and really enjoyed them, however it seems that the first two books in the Harry Hole series haven't been published in English. Am I wrong or does anyone know why this should be? Are there any plans to publish English translations?

• 5 months later...

Have been reading Jo Nesbo's novels and really enjoyed them, however it seems that the first two books in the Harry Hole series haven't been published in English. Am I wrong or does anyone know why this should be? Are there any plans to publish English translations?

I think his star is in the ascendent - so it can only be a matter of time beforev they are. Here's hoping anyway! I don't have time to learn Norwegian so I can read them (and I doubt my brain is up to the task)

Ian

Team,

New member here just started reading The Redbreast and enjoying it so far...60 pages in.

I have a burning question which Google has not managed to answer and was wondering if anyone could help me.

I am at the part of the book where the WW2 backstory is being introduced...1942 Russia...(some) Norwegian soldiers fighting with Nazis. On page 59 of my book (UK paperback) there's an aside about a Russian soldier making his way into German trenches and killing a bunch of Dutch and Australian soldiers. Gudbrand kills the Russian with his bayonet.

Is this a translation error or a typo? I could understand it if there were some Austrian soldiers in the Nazi ranks but not Australians.

Thanks

OK, p145 and now its 1944 and we're in a hospital Vienna.

I'm going to assume its a typo and the intended word was Austrian. Makes sense.I suppose. I'm not strong on my WW2 history and I never thought about the nationals of occupied countries fighting alongside German forces.

I'm still enjoying the book.

[Apologies for double post]