We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

10 members have voted

1. 1. How did you get along with the book, then?

• Whoa. Changed my life.
    • Well. That was pretty good, actually.
    • Hmm. Interesting enough, I suppose.
    • Meh. Nothing earth-shattering.
    • Blah. Just... Blah.

I wanted to update that I have just started reading Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House" because I enjoyed "Castle" so much. This is about the 3rd or so book of the Gothic fiction genre that I have ever read- I am excited to be exploring this genre! Lets hope it doesn't scare me too much!

I wanted to update that I have just started reading Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House" because I enjoyed "Castle" so much. This is about the 3rd or so book of the Gothic fiction genre that I have ever read- I am excited to be exploring this genre! Lets hope it doesn't scare me too much!

Hah, let us know how it goes please. I saw the movie many years ago, and it scared me silly! I wonder if that was Hollywood doing it's "thang". :rolleyes:

I have really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' I enjoyed it immensely when I read it, especially Merricat, even though there is something unsettling about her, she is a great character. It may have been mentioned and I am sorry if I have missed it but the book is based on Shirley Jackson's own agoraphobia and nervous conditions, and the sisters are based on her two daughters :)

I have really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' I enjoyed it immensely when I read it, especially Merricat, even though there is something unsettling about her, she is a great character. It may have been mentioned and I am sorry if I have missed it but the book is based on Shirley Jackson's own agoraphobia and nervous conditions, and the sisters are based on her two daughters :)

No, I had not realized that, although, given her accuracy of description, and the real heart she put into it I halfway thought it must be from some sort of personal experience. Granted an author can [of course] write about something accurately without experiencing it, this had that extra flavor to my eyes. Thanks for the interesting tidbit.

No, I had not realized that, although, given her accuracy of description, and the real heart she put into it I halfway thought it must be from some sort of personal experience. Granted an author can [of course] write about something accurately without experiencing it, this had that extra flavor to my eyes. Thanks for the interesting tidbit.

I agree hen and you're welcome pontalba :friends3: